Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Post by SebLeung »

Started the Tamiya SF70H recently. The fit of all of the parts are spot on, but it's quite complex for painting. Add that to the fact that I'll be using the S27 CF decals and planning ahead is quite complicated.

Filling the ejector pin markings as best I can - not bothering to do a perfect job as it'll be covered with CF decals anyways.

First thing to do is to paint the inside black - there won't be good access once the body parts are glued together. Much easier to just mask the cockpit when painting the body.

This is where I am now:

I've got a question for anyone who's using the S27 CF decals though - how necessary is it to paint the area underneath the decals black/grey? I heard someone else say that the fit wasn't perfect so I don't want red gaps, but the issue is that I want to attach front wing mounts before painting. The lines for the front wing mount don't line up with the panel lines on the real car. Attaching them would make masking the bottom much more difficult though. Don't think the provided masks would work anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.
http://www.f1modelling.com

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Post by M.Chriss »

I have both and I painted the areas gloss black. I believe the decal solution bonds the paint with the decal, and covers any spot missed. I attached the parts of the side pod to the tub and blended it in, as there is not a big seam there on the real car. It makes putting the CF decals in that area difficult, but that's modeling. The Studio 27 decals are nice, but not perfect. They don't cover the underside of any of the suspension pieces.

I used the kit decals for the long areas of the floor. This allowed me to cannibalize the S27 decal for this area to cover any areas which needed repair and touch up. This saved the build for me as there were many areas which needed TLC. I spent many hours on the CF. The larger decals which go inside of the rear wing plates are the biggest problem. There are a lot of things there which need to line up, and they don't. The first one I struggled with, and the second one I cut into quarters, which allowed me to line things up better. There is another decal which covers the center section of this, and you can't see where I did this. You can see the end plates are acceptable, this is only because I was able to use the cannibalized pieces to fix it.

I think maybe Studio 27 may have rushed these decals into production, they are good for the most part, but have a few issues.
Michael Chriss

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Honestly I didn't really expect the S27 decals to be perfect, I imagine it would be a lot of work to develop well fitting decals as a third party company without access to the original model in CAD.

Yours is coming along nicely! Did you attach the little winglets and front wing mounts before painting the body? Also how's the difference between the included Tamiya floor CF decals and the S27 ones? Would you say that one's better than the other or more or less the same?

willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Post by willster127 »

I just started assembling mine and have fully assembled the monocoque with all flick ups, nose mounts and doo dads prior to painting. On the side pods I haven't installed the 2 rear most parts to allow for carbon decals and more easier painting. I also haven't yet painted the inside of the chassis black, I saw a video series online where it was built this way and it appeared to go quite well so I took the plunge!!

With that said this has to be one of the most satisfying kits I've ever assembled, the parts fit is out of this world, can't wait to lay some paint on it, I went for the Zero for mine.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

I'll follow !

Alex.

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

willster127 wrote:I just started assembling mine and have fully assembled the monocoque with all flick ups, nose mounts and doo dads prior to painting. On the side pods I haven't installed the 2 rear most parts to allow for carbon decals and more easier painting. I also haven't yet painted the inside of the chassis black, I saw a video series online where it was built this way and it appeared to go quite well so I took the plunge!!

With that said this has to be one of the most satisfying kits I've ever assembled, the parts fit is out of this world, can't wait to lay some paint on it, I went for the Zero for mine.
Willster, where in the U.S.A. are you getting your Zero Paints from?
Or does anyone know of a good source for these paints? (Sorry if this has been covered before on F1M!)
Thanx for any help, Kirk

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

indygp2001 wrote:
willster127 wrote:I just started assembling mine and have fully assembled the monocoque with all flick ups, nose mounts and doo dads prior to painting. On the side pods I haven't installed the 2 rear most parts to allow for carbon decals and more easier painting. I also haven't yet painted the inside of the chassis black, I saw a video series online where it was built this way and it appeared to go quite well so I took the plunge!!

Willster, where in the U.S.A. are you getting your Zero Paints from?
Or does anyone know of a good source for these paints? (Sorry if this has been covered before on F1M!)
Thanx for any help, Kirk
http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/ind ... r=category
Michael Chriss

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

SebLeung wrote:Honestly I didn't really expect the S27 decals to be perfect, I imagine it would be a lot of work to develop well fitting decals as a third party company without access to the original model in CAD.

Yours is coming along nicely! Did you attach the little winglets and front wing mounts before painting the body? Also how's the difference between the included Tamiya floor CF decals and the S27 ones? Would you say that one's better than the other or more or less the same?
I'm not sure about the front winglets and mounts you refer to, I need to get the instructions and check it out. I may have missed this and need to correct. Thanks for the heads up. The Tamiya decals are great, they just don't have enough to cover all the areas. You can see in my photo where I used the Tamiya decals for the long section on the floor. I am glad I got the S27 CF and recommend them.
Michael Chriss

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

M.Chriss wrote:
SebLeung wrote:Honestly I didn't really expect the S27 decals to be perfect, I imagine it would be a lot of work to develop well fitting decals as a third party company without access to the original model in CAD.

I'm not sure about the front winglets and mounts you refer to, I need to get the instructions and check it out. I may have missed this and need to correct. Thanks for the heads up. The Tamiya decals are great, they just don't have enough to cover all the areas. You can see in my photo where I used the Tamiya decals for the long section on the floor. I am glad I got the S27 CF and recommend them.
Looking at your picture, yours has been assembled perfectly, no need to correct anything. I'll assume you added the winglets before painting.

Quick update:

I puttied the seams along the edges of the body and sharkfin, as well as blended the sidepod wings.

I also attached the front wing mounts, S-duct cover, and flow conditioners. Getting even coverage of paint will be difficult but critical. I think this is the state I'll be painting in:

I'd like to attach the air intake as well since this seems like the component with the worst fit in the kit so far (doesn't really sit flush with the body) and it leaves a big panel line that shouldn't be there, but I'm worried that attaching it along with the two little wing mounts would make painting very difficult.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looks great...