Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Post by SebLeung »

lezdep wrote:Great work ! I don't have 100% bullet proof advise on 2K, even though I have used it successfully many times.
You'll have to learn it from experience working with your own air brush and playing with pressure ant mixture
ratio. I use 100% + 50% + 25% mixture of clear/hardener/thinner for Zero 2K clear and spray at 25-26 PSI. Ex:
100ml of clear + 50ml of hardener + (150/4)ml of thinner. But again, you might find different mixture ratio of
thinner work better for you.

Only thing I can advise is to make a dummy, that would simulate your real model and practice on it first, before
you take a leap and apply clear to your precious model.
Thanks lezdep! I'm happy to say that I just applied the second layer of 2K just an hour ago and it was my best application to date! 2:1:1 clear, hardener, thinner ratio at 25PSI seems to finally have done it for me. I'll post pictures tomorrow once it cures. Although to be honest I haven't had too much issue with orange peel since doing 2:1:1, my biggest issues have been with particles getting into the sticky surface when applying (somehow there is so much dust getting sucked into my fume hood and I often have issues with static attracting dust), and on some models there have been issues with contamination that I was never able to find the source of. I had that on my RE30b and to a lesser extent on my 641/2. So difficult to sand down fish eyes from super hardened 2K, and you have to be so careful not to sand too much of it happens over decals.
http://www.f1modelling.com

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Quick Preview - there will hopefully be one more coat after removing imperfections and sanding down decal edges, so it's not at its full gloss yet. Also I forgot to point this out earlier but compare the red on the decal vs the Zero Paints SF70H paint on the engine cover. The paint is slightly darker than the decal, which to me is surprising since I sprayed over white primer. I personally don't care but I know a lot of people were wondering how well the paint matched the decal.

SimonaModelismo
F2
F2
Your Name: Simon
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Argentina

Post by SimonaModelismo »

Beautifull paint Work...
Really really good mirrorlike clear-coat.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Very, very impressive result. If you manage to complete this model before Sep 29th, definitely bring it to Group25 contest - http://www.group25.org/2018/2018_upcoming_shows.htm
Otherwise aim for Spring of 2019. There will be couple of shows in Spring. I hope to get my F2008 finished by them. Would be cool to see them side by side.

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

lezdep wrote:Very, very impressive result. If you manage to complete this model before Sep 29th, definitely bring it to Group25 contest - http://www.group25.org/2018/2018_upcoming_shows.htm
Otherwise aim for Spring of 2019. There will be couple of shows in Spring. I hope to get my F2008 finished by them. Would be cool to see them side by side.
Whoa! I've never attended one of these events let alone entered - it might be a good way to keep my motivation up. I can definitely finish it by then. If anything I'll go just to see your F2008, my favourite F1 car of all time. Hope to see you posting more updates of it!

Also, tonight I applied the third and final coat of 2K. I think it went pretty well. Not a full wet-coat but extremely smooth nonetheless. I don't think I'll be sanding it down to polish, only for imperfections.

I'll be away for the weekend which should give the 2K plenty of time to cure. Work will then resume on Monday.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

that looks awesome

Shiiya
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Shiiya
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams and Piquet
Brazil

Post by Shiiya »

Looks great , amazing paint job !

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Great work and paint. The colors reflect brilliantly.
Seema

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

That is a beautiful finish! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

https://www.instagram.com/reality_scaled

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Wow! Super nice result.