MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Re: MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Post by VR2 »

Many thanks for your interest in following this build !

@ Christian, nice to see that our lines are crossing again on the 917

@ Roman, seems that we both share the same passion for collecting MFH 917s. The 917LHs are indeed challenging re getting the tail aligned with the rest. I've currently also the 917LH of LM '71 on my bench and had a hard time to get all the tail section parts aligned. Too many body/frame parts that need to perfectly align with each other and pretty unforgiving in terms of tolerances during the assembly process.

Here we go with a short progress update.

Front- and Rear Cowl are basically ready for the primer with all holes drilled.

On the bulkhead between cockpit and engine, extra holes are drilled for the wires of the spark boxes, rev limiter relays, voltage regulators, etc. The excellent "The Undercover Story" book of Gordon Wingrove provides main circuit diagrams of the 917, which will be indispensable later for the correct wiring of the electrical components. If you plan to build the 917-053, don't use part M31 as this was not installed in this car. Also the position of two rev limiter relays (M27) is different on the real car vs. the MFH building instruction. The pics below show the correct position.
Blog_part5_6.jpg
Blog_part5_1.jpg
Blog_part5_2.jpg
Blog_part5_4.jpg
Blog_part5_3.jpg
Blog_part5_5.jpg
The next update will be about finalizing the body work and get ready for painting the body parts.

BR,
Uli

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice start on it, will follow with interest :)
Take a stand!

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Love your wip! Really thank you for your effort!

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

I just ordered the Fujimi 1/24th scale version of this car, so it will fun for me to follow along. 8)

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hello again,

today's update is about the "destructive" side of this build and requires some torture tools. Mr. Hiro may forgive me when I ruin his perfectly casted front cowl.

However, racing at Le Mans meant to #22 to become "tortured" for 24hrs, which can be clearly seen from the damage on the front/left side of the bodywork. As I'll build this car "after race weathered" as authentic as possible, this damage need to be recreated on my model as well.

On contemporary pictures, two different patterns of damage can be seen:
- a distinctive area on the front (underneath the left headlight) where materials has been chopped off
- two prominent break lines on the front/left side due to a side impact during the race. This impact has also caused some inward deformation of the bodywork
P917 LM71_damage_1.jpg
P917 LM71_damage_2.jpg
Steps to create the damage pattern on the front side of the model (to show this might be boring for the experienced modelers, but probably useful for the less experienced)

Tools used:
Blog_Part6_5.jpg
1. masking the damaged area/outline pattern and drawing the outline
Blog_Part6_1.jpg
2. chopping off the materials with a sharp blade
Blog_Part6_3.jpg
Steps to create the damage pattern on the front/left side of the model

1. place "placeholder" decals to figure out the right position of the two break lines
Blog_Part6_4.jpg
2. scribing the break lines and remove materials to simulate the inwards deformation
Blog_Part6_7.jpg
Thanks for your continuous interest in this WIP. Next update will come soon.

BR,
Uli

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Great eye for detail, no doubt. I don't think I could do the destructive part. I am up for doing weathering but restricted to paint effects only.

Bravo.

Joe.

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hello, it's time for my next update

Those of you who have already built a MFH Porsche 917 (1:12) may agree that getting the doors fit is the most challenging and bothersome step when building this kit.

As with my previous 917s , the starting point was less encouraging
Blog_Part7_2.jpg
Blog_Part7_4.jpg
After many hours of gently bending the doors into the desired shape, I finally got both doors to fit :D
Blog_Part7_7.jpg
Next came the door windows , the headlight cover and the headlights

The indention lines on the vacuum-formed parts for the door windows and for the headlights didn't fit at all. Fortunately, they have been oversized. so trimming was the order of the day
I usually start with making the indention lines better visible with Tamiya masking tape and then cut the parts along the outlines. Before cutting, 2 lines are determined as "reference lines"
Blog_Part7_5.jpg
1st step is to cut the part alongside the indention lines and, place it with the "reference lines" to fit the door window. What can be clearly seen is the mismatch on the upper and left side.
Blog_Part7_6.jpg
Next was to to mark the correct lines with tape and finally trim the part to a perfect fit. The window was then attached to the door with 8 micro rivets. Due to the tight fit of the rivets, there is no glue needed. The rivets can be easily removed for the paint job. Btw, the small tilting windows inside the windows have been cut out but will not be used in this build as Marko/van Lennep drove the car with both small windows removed.
Blog_Part7_8.jpg
The same rivets are used to attach the headlight cover on the right side. There will be no headlight cover on the left side (like on original, when the car has crossed the finish line)
Blog_Part7_9.jpg
Thanks for your interest. Building the engine will be next

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

This is a really interesting build, lovey our detail work replicating the accident damage. Watching with interest.

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by shood23 »

Just caught up with this build and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Some excellent skills are being shown off here and the "raced" look damage is very well done. Look forward to more instalments.

Shaun

JKNU70
F3
F3

Post by JKNU70 »

Hey Uli,

your new project is coming along very impressive so far!
As i know you, your skills and your devotion for that particular subject, i asume that this will be the new 917-MFH-reference build.

Watching and following with maximum interest!!!

Can't wait to get it in my hands to weather that brute white beauty off.........

THANKS for all the additional efforts by preparing and providing all these posts at the Forum.

All the best,
yours
Jochen
Last edited by JKNU70 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.