MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Post by Noddy »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:
Mr.Grumpy wrote:fantastic work!

out of curiosity, why did these cars carry spare tires? seems crazy.
It was part of the rules package for ages that they had to carry a spare tire and have a passenger seat.
Don't forget the "luggage" box. Kind of funny to look at a car like the Ford Mk-IV and see a (tiny) box for "luggage".

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hello, here I'm back again with my next update

When building the MFH 917 1:12 kits, there is a pitfall when it comes to get the engine cover to nicely fit the engine underneath. This issue is specifically with the K-Versions (at least I had the issue with the Daytona Winner of '70 and with this kit again). If you plan to build a K-Version in the future, I would strongly recommend to fix this issue straight after the engine has been finished and BEFORE you install the engine in the rear frame. When waiting until step 28 of the MFH building instruction, I guarantee you will curse that part.

There are basically 2 issues to be fixed prior to glue the engine cover parts M58, M275 and M271 together. Btw. for the Le Mans Winner '71, the MFH parts M22 won't be used (MFH building instructions are misleading here). The real car did't had this either.

The first issue is the length of both slots on part M271. They are too short (at least with my kits) to fit with parts C4 and C5. The slots need to be enlarged until a nice fit is achieved (see picture below)
Engine Cover test fit and corrections_1
Engine Cover test fit and corrections_1
The second issue is that part M271 collides with the vertical bridge on part C4 (near the injection pump/metering unit). This can be fixed by milling a slot as shown in the next picture
Engine Cover test fit and corrections_2
Engine Cover test fit and corrections_2
With this slot in place, both parts fit nicely as shown in the next picture :D
Engine Cover test fit and corrections_3
Engine Cover test fit and corrections_3
After all issues have been fixed, all cover parts have been glued together and finally painted/decals applied. The engine is now put aside until the rear frame parts, which "cage" the engine are assembled
Engine Cover finished
Engine Cover finished
As the rear frame will be next, I've made a set of new ignition coils. Two of the four coils will be attached to the rear frame aft of the engine. the other two on the cockpit firewall aft of the driver seat. MFH did a decent job on the shape of these coils (M230) but I was reluctant to mask/paint the parts (3 different colors) which is quite an effort to get this done in a clean way. New parts have been turned (3 individual parts for each coil), which can be separately painted now.
Ignition Coils new turned parts
Ignition Coils new turned parts
I was very lucky when Michael Trape (miko) has provided me with "early bird" engine parts (etched parts, 3D printed parts) of his planned detail set for the Porsche 917LH and K :D
These parts are just awesome !!! I'm running out of superlatives here !!!!
For the ignition coils, Michael has made also etched parts for the mounting brackets, which fit perfect my turned parts and which make the assembly to look like the real thing.

The breaking news is, that Michael has announced to work on a detail set for the upcoming Porsche 917/30. I'm already looking foreword to build this Monster with Michael's mind-blowing hyper-detail set straight after this project.
Ignition Coils new parts finished_1
Ignition Coils new parts finished_1
Ignition Coils new parts finished_2
Ignition Coils new parts finished_2
Thanks for your interest in this WIP. Next update will be about the rear frame assembly.

Best regards,

Uli

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

this build is out of this world. So neat! Already one of the builds of the year.
Am following with the greatest interest.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

This is an upcoming kit for me. Is there an English MWT site? Love those parts!

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by VR2 »

many thanks Wim for the flowers :-)

Leftkeys, Michael/MWT (miko) can be found on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/miko3572/ His skills and parts are really out of this world !!!

JKNU70
F3
F3

Post by JKNU70 »

Dear Uli,

unchallenged top notch.
You know what i've told you several times.
Your skills, knowledge of the matter and your dedication for your projects lead to breathtaking results like these.
Makes me thinking about my approach for upcoming subjects / miniatures in the future.
I can't wait to weather this iconic build!

I'm absolutely serious when i say you should, once the Martini-Kurzheck is finished, get in personal contact with the Porsche museum (which is so close to you) and offer them your 1:12 scale 917's for a temporary abandonment / public display.

yours
jochen

Btw, Michael's work on his various super-detail-kits is brilliant too, one can get addictive......

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hello,

as you might know, Michael Trape (miko) is working on super detail sets for the Porsche 917's (normally aspirated KH and LH as well as for the 917-30). Today, I'll show you an example what awesome parts you can expect once this sets will be available.

For the engine, Michael will provide plenty of replacement and new parts. Generously, Michael has provided me with prototype parts (3D-printed, etched) for the naturally aspirated 917 engine.

Over this weekend, I've test built the alternator unit, which consists of more than 25 individual parts. Turned/machined parts are not yet available from Michael, so I've made the necessary parts on my lathe/milling machine.
MWT Alternator unit
MWT Alternator unit
Fit of the MWT 3D printed and etched parts are just perfect. The alternator rotor consists of 5 wings, which I've wrapped with 0.1mm copper wire (can be hardly seen on the low-res picture). Even when the unit is fully assembled, the rotor can be seen through the venting holes/slots on the rear side. What is missing on this pictures are the electrical connectors on the rear side, which I'll add later
MWT Alternator unit assembled
Comparison of fully assembled MWT Alternator unit with MFH parts. Despite the ultra realistic parts, the big advantage of Michael's design is that all parts can be separately painted :D
Comparison MWT Design with MFH Kit parts
Comparison MWT Design with MFH Kit parts
Belt and pulleys can be separately painted
Belt and pulleys can be separately painted
The MFH kits of the Porsche 917s are already a modelers dream but with the MWT parts, these kits can be turned into a hyperrealistic miniature of the real car. Thx. Michael :D

Best regards,
Uli

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hello,

it's time to assemble the rear frame that holds the engine, I'll apply a bit of a different building sequence as outlined in the MFH building instructions.

I've figured out that (at least for me) it was much easier /less hazzle to first assemble all parts as shown below as a "sub-assembly_1" prior to attaching it to the frame. This sub-assembly consists of MFH parts M7, M76, the anti-rollbar and the two ignition coils.
rear frame "sub-assembly_1"
rear frame "sub-assembly_1"
Next was to build the frame as such but leaving the front side open (see pic below). Part M1 will be glued in place AFTER the engine has been installed. By doing so, the engine can be easily sliced into the frame and locked in place without damaging the engine !
Frame ready to install the engine
Frame ready to install the engine
After the engine has been installed (and secured with screws), the frame was closed with Part M1
Frame closed with engine installed
Frame closed with engine installed
Next was a test fit of the gear box and gear shift levers (but not yet glued in place)
Gear box test fit
Gear box test fit
Crucial for a proper match between the rear frame assembly and the bodywork is a perfect alignment of the rear frame assembly with parts RE2 and RE3. The pics below are showing the temporary assembly of these parts with all screws in place
Blog_Part19_5.jpg
Blog_Part19_6.jpg
Thanks for your interest !

Best regards,
Uli

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Ach Uli, Lehrbuch Material, einfach klasse :)

well well, this is text book material. Absolutely stunning. I love watching it come to life while contemplating
the next model to buy. As usual all pictures and text have been saved for future reference. I just remember
how everyone said it's near impossible to enter the engine into the frame without scratching, when it seems
really easy to do without as shown by you here.
That aside I love all the small details, like the cable ties you've applied to the power lines for the ignition
coils.
Last edited by sky1911 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Roman

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Museum piece, really!
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com