MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Re: MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Post by Leftkeys »

The disks are awesome. Count me in for e-book, too.

Bill

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

The disks are awesome. Count me in for e-book, too.

Bill

robrex
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by robrex »

Superb! I’d grab that E-Book for sure :D

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

Me to. Count me in!

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi, many thx for your encouraging response regarding the idea on publishing E-Book(s) on building/superdetailing the MFH 917s. I'll kick-off this project and start working on it. I'll begin with the K Versions and later add the LH and 917/30. You may expect the 1st release in Q4 this year. Once available, it will be announced on F1M.

However, as time is limited on my side, I have to make some trade-off's about where I'm going to spend my time. So it was no easy decision for me to stop this WIP report now and instead fully focus on finishing the 917-053 while working on the book(s). Many thanks to all of you who have followed this WIP to date :)

Switching gears: My 917/30 kit has arrived a couple of days ago. All I can say, this is a great kit with plenty of upside potential for super-detailers. The first obvious task on my model was to machine new parts for the "prominently" visible Hex-shaped covers on the engine manifolds.
Porsche 917-30_HexCover.jpg
Porsche917-30_Engine_1_s.jpg
Porsche917-30_Engine_3jpg.jpg
BR,

Uli

Rico
F3
F3

Post by Rico »

VR2 wrote:Thanks for asking, Joe. This is my "way" for the color finish of the P917 engine parts (engine body, transaxle cases, valve covers, etc.):

step 1: Alclad grey primer on resin as well as on WM casted parts. Using the grey primer is key. The black primer won't do the job for my technique
step 2: a very light glaze of Alclad steel (sometimes blended with other Alclad metallizers). This glaze coat over the grey primer (which still need to shine through), gives a subtile shade of metallic look typical for casted parts
step 3: a subtile wash with highly thinned Tamiya semi gloss black (less is more) and after the wash, applying a very, very light coat of Tamiya flat black with the air-gun on selected areas of the parts
step 4: final weathering with pastel chalks, using a brush and different colors to "simulate" oil leakage, dust, scratches, etc. This final step also adds a final very subtile "dust" layer of reddish/brownish color to the parts

As a basic rule, I avoid a heavy metallic look and shine of the finished engine parts to avoid running the risk of a "toys" appearance. Within some bounds, you can control/shift the final color of the metal casted parts with the thickness of the Alclad coat over the grey primer and the "dust" layer of pastel chalks.

I'm sure, there are many other ways to get also to the desired result.

To get the real appearance of the finished parts across with my pictures on F1M is almost impossible due to the ambient light conditions when taking the pictures and the high jpg-compression factor I need to match the 256k Byte picture size rule. What basically counts is the real look of the finished parts at daylight and I'm pretty happy with that.
Hi Uli,

Many thanks for sharing with us.
Please, do you apply a coat of flat gloss or flat base after your paint work ?

All the best’

Joël

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi Joël, I don't apply coat over Alclad. Key for the subtile metallic effect is is to apply Alclad metallizer in a glazing mode to still let the grey primer shine through

Rico
F3
F3

Post by Rico »

VR2 wrote:Hi Joël, I don't apply coat over Alclad. Key for the subtile metallic effect is is to apply Alclad metallizer in a glazing mode to still let the grey primer shine through
Hi Uli,
Once again many thanks for the tips.
So after this paint job do you add a coat of matt gloss like XF86 for example or something else to protect your paint and conserv it ?

Many thx un advance

Joël

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I gotta join in to the voices like "Hey what nuts you say your build stinks ?" No build does :D
I have the theory that virtually all of us have a partcular skill in modeling in which we are second to none, so in every build there's that special talent. We all learn from what others do, so let's keep on posting what we do. :wink:
And again thanks for sharing this build, and the eventual efforts to share it more with the e-book. 8)

pixar1744
Spectator
Spectator

Post by pixar1744 »

Hello together,

This is a fantastic WIP,
I also started this Kit a couple of days ago, and your Building Progress helps a lot. Even when i want to build it nearly oob . Sadly one piece is missing in my Kit, the Resin wheelmounting for one rear Wheel...
i tried to find The screws and rivets you are using but no chance to buy them. I wonder if nowerdays it ist possible to 3d Print screws and rivets?

Best regards,
Sebastian