1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Re: 1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Post by mvc »

Thanks Dave!

More paint work.
I'm planning to fix the roof (for lack of a better word) first, then get rid of the gaps between roof and cowling, then paint. So I need to do the "inner" paintwork first, otherwise it will be impossible to reach when the roof is in place.
I'm planning to fix the roof (for lack of a better word) first, then get rid of the gaps between roof and cowling, then paint. So I need to do the "inner" paintwork first, otherwise it will be impossible to reach when the roof is in place.
Roof fixed.
Roof fixed.
Paint is Tamiya TS-8 straight from the can, just before sanding and polishing. No clear cote.
Paint is Tamiya TS-8 straight from the can, just before sanding and polishing. No clear cote.
Had a lot of these spots where the paint just does not want to go. Don't understand. The part was sanded, washed, primered, sanded, painted -> bad spots. Sanded everything down again, washed, primered (no signs of spots after primer...), sanded, painted -> again these spots!! This time just on the underside, so I'll leave them.
Had a lot of these spots where the paint just does not want to go. Don't understand. The part was sanded, washed, primered, sanded, painted -> bad spots. Sanded everything down again, washed, primered (no signs of spots after primer...), sanded, painted -> again these spots!! This time just on the underside, so I'll leave them.
After sanding (wet 2000/4000) and polishing.
After sanding (wet 2000/4000) and polishing.
IMG_5023.jpg
IMG_5029.jpg
Marcus

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Those look like Silicone divots, where paint reacts with some contaminant on the surface and then produces those small depressions because the paint is repelled from that area. Sometimes resin release agents can cause that, even when the part is well-washed and clean as we like it to be, there's still some residue there. Since it's on the underside I think you're right not to mess with it because it's not that noticeable, but if that were an upper panel I could see why it would be a problem.

Anyone else got ideas?

Best,
AJ

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

these spots are called fisheyes.
You can add additive 'fisheye eliminator' to your mix to suppress. Not sure it is 100% proof though.

I know this technique from working with car paint in real life, and when i googled to find some of these producs, i saw even zero paints offers this.
See https://www.zero-paints.com/Fisheye_Eli ... --333.html

wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks guys..

I'll remember the fisheye eliminator for future projects, because I'm now working straight from the can.

One thing that still I find strange is that there was no sign of any problem after primer.

The spots might be treated by placing a little drop of paint right in there with a brush. If you decide to sand & polish anyway, that probably should work..

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

There are 2 main reasons for such holes usually, silicon on surface or water in the compressed air. But as you are using cans, the second reason is out.
A 3 reason on resin parts is gasing out from resin, same like on fiberglass parts, when i have such nasty parts i sand them down again to the material and put it in an oven on a low temperatur, this can help maybe. Special sealers for real cars are around on the market for such cases, another way i sometimes go when i don`t have these sealers is to put a thick coat of clear on it, and sand it back till the hole is gone.
I think you get it fixed, heads up Marcus ;)
Take a stand!

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

I think your paint job is already much better than a period Ferrari paint job so maybe keep those spots so you don't make your model too inaccurate. :mrgreen:

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

A lot of invisible work today, finished the inside of the front cowling. Luckily the fit is quite nice, I'm even hoping that I don't have to glue the pins that keep the cowling in place.
DSCF9280.jpg
DSCF9285.jpg
DSCF9292.jpg
IMG_5049.jpg
In the meantime I did some work to get the rear ready for painting. I noticed the front cowling paint (also three days old) is still susceptible to finger(and other)prints. I think it would be best to wait a few days to let the already painted part harden before covering it with masking tape -- but I'm in the "let's get this thing finished!" mood right now...

Thanks for watching,
Marcus

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

mvc wrote: ... -- but I'm in the "let's get this thing finished!" mood right now...

Thanks for watching,
Marcus
Last time I was in such mood, I was trying to rush my MFH F1-GTR build. Never been happy that I took that approach since.
Lots of good work was negated by some last steps, which gone wrong, because I was trying to get it finished fast. Hope my
mistakes will give you encouragement to not take shortcuts, that you could be quite unhappy with in the future. Amazing
work so far.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks for your concern :) No worries though. I'll finish the front end first, then move on with the rear later this week. By that time the paint coat is a week old. Even without hurrying, the car could be ready in 2-3 weeks. (within my schedule...)

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Front finished!
DSCF9328.jpg
DSCF9345.jpg