1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Post by gp-models »

Just take a seat and grab to my popcorn, bookmarked your build cause i`m pretty sure it will be a real stunner!! :D

Looking forward to your progress, will be a pleasure to follow!
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Well thanks for not applying any pressure while I'm doing my first metal kit :mrgreen:

Progress was slow because I had to wait for some materials and tools. A lot of new stuff is needed when you're only equiped for plastic models. But now I finally have got some work done apart from test fitting.
I decided to keep the bare metal for the chassis, so that means masking everything that's not supposed to be black.
I decided to keep the bare metal for the chassis, so that means masking everything that's not supposed to be black.
One advantage of the bare metal is that anything can be used for weathering or adding some depth, and it can always be cleaned back to original. Today I got some Alkyd colors from an art supplies store; it has the same feel and almost the same texture as oil paint, but it dries in a day -- which is great. I used it to cover the metal-meets-black-paint edges, and around the rivets.
One advantage of the bare metal is that anything can be used for weathering or adding some depth, and it can always be cleaned back to original. Today I got some Alkyd colors from an art supplies store; it has the same feel and almost the same texture as oil paint, but it dries in a day -- which is great. I used it to cover the metal-meets-black-paint edges, and around the rivets.
Maybe I need to add some more paint; I'll decide tomorrow.
Maybe I need to add some more paint; I'll decide tomorrow.
Rivets are done with .76 mm solder balls that are used in electronics. If you're interested, search for "BGA balls"; mostly Chinese sites offer them for a few euro's/dollars and you get 25K of them. Enough for a lifetime of riveting :) Just add a little drop of CA glue in the hole, drop a ball in, and flatten the ball by adding some pressure with wood or something. I prefer a wooden object, because of the softness of the wood, the solder ball is not completely flattened (as will happen with a metal object) and keeps a slightly spherical shape. You could even add a center hole with a needle, but that's a lot of work -- not worth the effort for these hardly visible areas.
Rivets are done with .76 mm solder balls that are used in electronics. If you're interested, search for "BGA balls"; mostly Chinese sites offer them for a few euro's/dollars and you get 25K of them. Enough for a lifetime of riveting :) Just add a little drop of CA glue in the hole, drop a ball in, and flatten the ball by adding some pressure with wood or something. I prefer a wooden object, because of the softness of the wood, the solder ball is not completely flattened (as will happen with a metal object) and keeps a slightly spherical shape. You could even add a center hole with a needle, but that's a lot of work -- not worth the effort for these hardly visible areas.
Thanks for watching!

Marcus

AnnaElizabeth
Formula e
Formula e

Post by AnnaElizabeth »

Very nice! :) I remember Alkyd paints being recommended for metal figurines in books I read in the 80s and 90s. The solder-ball rivets are a brilliant idea!

This is a privilege to watch you create.

~Anna
~I wanna be the only one to make it to the light
Take it to the edge where I have died a thousand times
And maybe I could be the one
To ride into the setting sun tonight
Just drive~

caterhamnut
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by caterhamnut »

Very cool - love that rivet solution, thanks!

gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Brilliant start. Thanks also for the rivet idea.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Brilliant idea with using solder balls as rivets! Thank you very much for this tip! :D
Very nice work on the metal parts, looks very realistic!
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks a lot folks!

More rivet work done. Gets tedious after a while, but the largest parts are done now.
Today's result...
Today's result...
IMG_2567.jpg
IMG_2568.jpg
Most of the metal was cleaned with steel wool, and polished with a household abrasive cleaner and a toothbrush. After that, most of it was covered in a layer of grey alkyd paint, and wiping that off leaves a reasonably credible aluminium shine.
Most of the metal was cleaned with steel wool, and polished with a household abrasive cleaner and a toothbrush. After that, most of it was covered in a layer of grey alkyd paint, and wiping that off leaves a reasonably credible aluminium shine.
And let's not forget the underside ;) I used that for experimenting a little bit.
And let's not forget the underside ;) I used that for experimenting a little bit.
More soon,

Marcus

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Looking good already. And what a fantastic idea with those solder balls, to replicate rivet heads!! Thanks for that info!

We're all looking forward to a beautiful finished kit. But no pressure, LOL, no pressure.

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks Chris! Don't worry, I'll take my time, pressure or not :)

After more experimenting I'm starting to appreciate the material, especially the metal of course. In the beginning I was only thinking how much easier plastic would have been to work with but I'm over that now :) I try to do some low-temp soldering in the less visible areas, but most of the time I use a fast drying epoxy glue. Up to this point I can't see the advantages of soldering over glueing -- except maybe for reversibility.
New batch of parts cleaned...
New batch of parts cleaned...
Love the Dremel with flexible shaft in a vice, works like a mini-lathe
Love the Dremel with flexible shaft in a vice, works like a mini-lathe
Two minutes later
Two minutes later
More Dremel-lathe work on the rotors
More Dremel-lathe work on the rotors
I'm very happy with these, could never do that with plastic parts
I'm very happy with these, could never do that with plastic parts
Lots of parts waiting to be assembled...
Lots of parts waiting to be assembled...
I'm really starting to enjoy this kit and I wish I had a lot more time for it...

Thanks for watching,

Marcus

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Hi all,

Finally had some time to do some work again after a short-but-well-earned holiday :)
Replaced the middle part of the front ARB. The original consists of two separate part joined together in the middle, and that's never going to look great. I replaced it with a piece of 1.5 mm brass tube.
Replaced the middle part of the front ARB. The original consists of two separate part joined together in the middle, and that's never going to look great. I replaced it with a piece of 1.5 mm brass tube.
Another easy improvement. Replaced the pedal linkage rods with pieces of 0.8 mm steel. The originals are way too fragile to clean up to satisfaction.
Another easy improvement. Replaced the pedal linkage rods with pieces of 0.8 mm steel. The originals are way too fragile to clean up to satisfaction.
Assembly time again!
Assembly time again!
Today's result...
Today's result...
IMG_2636.jpg
Collecting dust already... MFH did a great job on the pedals and the pedal linkage. So far this kit is a joy to work on :)
Collecting dust already... MFH did a great job on the pedals and the pedal linkage. So far this kit is a joy to work on :)
I'm really starting to appreciate the beauty of building an MFH kit. This was less obvious when I first saw the pile of white metal parts when I opened the box, but things really come alive while working with it.

Thanks for watching!

Marcus