1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Jerryv
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Post by Jerryv »

mvc wrote:Looks like I'm missing these parts. From what I can learn from the manual, there should be a .5 mm PE sheet with just these two parts, but they're not in the box. Does anyone have experience with contacting MFH for replacements?
Great work Marcus.

Those PE parts should be pre-inserted into the rear bodywork. Check again, if they are not in place, contact MFH as they don't come in the PE sheet.

Best.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

@jerry: there are two hinges on the rear cowling. Of each hinge, on half is molded into the resin indeed, but the other halves need to be added manually. These are missing and hard to build from scratch because of strength and precision requirements.

@rasputen: thanks, will do that soon!

Jerryv
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jerryv »

You are right, and this is where you should have found them:
Attachments
IMG_E4108.JPG
IMG_E4108.JPG (55.47 KiB) Viewed 472 times

BrettnJan
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: BrettnJan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by BrettnJan »

Hi Marcus,
I am following this forum with interest as I have just started a build of the 1/12 MFH Ferrari 412P. I love the detail you have included and have adopted a number of your tips - so many thanks for sharing! I am curious as to whether you were able to find an information source for the fuel line details, particularly to/from the fuel filters and to the carburettors (in the case of the 412P)? The kit provides no details, and I have not been able to find any decent diagrams or photos on line.
Cheers, Brett

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Hi BrettnJan,

Sorry for this extremely late reaction.. I haven't been on the project since a couple of months.

Unfortunately I do not have any detailed pics of the area described. I'm actually hoping this part of the model will not be too visible, so I can get away with some superficially credible improvisation ;)

Marcus

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Finally got started with a bit of spraywork and the rivets...
TS-8 straight from the can. Before spraying the can was heated in a bowl of hot water, which improves the flow drastically. Slightly polished with Tamiya "Fine" compound.
TS-8 straight from the can. Before spraying the can was heated in a bowl of hot water, which improves the flow drastically. Slightly polished with Tamiya "Fine" compound.
I'm going to try to use 0.6mm solder balls for rivets. The tape will hopefully help to get the balls in place.
I'm going to try to use 0.6mm solder balls for rivets. The tape will hopefully help to get the balls in place.
Solder balls in place; applied some pressure with a piece of styrene. Not one fell out during the whole process and no glue was used -- this really went better than I thought!
Solder balls in place; applied some pressure with a piece of styrene. Not one fell out during the whole process and no glue was used -- this really went better than I thought!
A small drop of paint for each rivet (might need some more later)
A small drop of paint for each rivet (might need some more later)
Quite happy with the result...
Quite happy with the result...
Took me approx. 90 minutes for this part; I expected a lot worse!
Took me approx. 90 minutes for this part; I expected a lot worse!
... will need a bit of cleaning up here & there, and an extra drop of paint on some of the rivets. But first I'll do the other side.
... will need a bit of cleaning up here & there, and an extra drop of paint on some of the rivets. But first I'll do the other side.
Thanks for watching!

Marcus

BrettnJan
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: BrettnJan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by BrettnJan »

Hi Marcus, many thanks for the reply regarding the fuel lines. I managed to find the info I needed from the Eurospares web site (www.eurospares.co.uk) which has diagrams of the fuel system for a number of similar period Ferraris.
Your solution to the rivets on the body looks like it is working very well. My own plan was to apply the rivets before painting. Then after painting I will apply a narrow strip of masking tape over each line of rivets and then polish up to the tape line. I usually tape any sharp edges etc. before polishing so as not to remove too much paint from the areas where it is thinnest. After seeing your method, I may do a little experimenting with each solution. I will do this on the lower sill panels which are not highly visible. I am many months behind you in my build, having only started 3 months ago. Again many thanks for the great pictures and advice. Cheers, Brett

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

Superb paintwork mvc: How many coats did you apply, and did you use a primer first? Wish I could get those results from a rally can [sigh]

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks guys ;)

@Brett:
Looks like a great resource, never heard of it, but I will have a look at that!

@Eagle:
First applied Tamiya white primer, 2 or 3 layers, can't remember...
Then I tried to build up the red paint with the airbrush, but that didn't look great. I don't have a lot of airbrush experience, but I think a spray gun is needed for those bigger surfaces, that's why I reverted to the rattle cans.
Before spraying I put the can in a bowl of hot water. I guess this makes the paint flow a little better. The red consists of 3 layers with a little bit of sanding (1500/2000) in between. The final layer is polished slightly with Tamiya "Fine" compound only.

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Marcus great result and very useful presentation. Thanks for sharing

Really don't understand how the balls don't fall from their place. The red paint which applied after you put them in place, works as glue?