1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Re: 1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Post by allnie »

That MFH kit is one of the most tricky kits to construct.
Br
Allan

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

That means at least that the next one will be easier! :)

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Very interesting as always... I decide to start it when I retired :mrgreen:

Love it !

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice job Marcus, did not expect to see such fitting problems but you fixed them nicely. Keep it comin :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks for your support guys, much appreciated!
More trouble: after test fitting the white metal part has the shape I need, but the PE-part doesn't comply. And that will not bend.
More trouble: after test fitting the white metal part has the shape I need, but the PE-part doesn't comply. And that will not bend.
Only solution is to cut it into separate parts..
Only solution is to cut it into separate parts..
Lots of work done to get the doors fit. This is the best I can do without just superglueing everything in place. I'm quite happy with the fit. Doors will get another layer of paint because I had to take away some more material from the top edges.
Lots of work done to get the doors fit. This is the best I can do without just superglueing everything in place. I'm quite happy with the fit. Doors will get another layer of paint because I had to take away some more material from the top edges.
Starting to take shape now..
Starting to take shape now..
Fits just right! (hmm, those little tape marks near the rivets are hardly visible to the naked eye, but they do irritate me a bit..)
Fits just right! (hmm, those little tape marks near the rivets are hardly visible to the naked eye, but they do irritate me a bit..)
A peek in the hopefully-not-so-far-future.. sitting pretty low..
A peek in the hopefully-not-so-far-future.. sitting pretty low..
And one more from a couple of months ago, just because I like the picture :P
And one more from a couple of months ago, just because I like the picture :P
I've got five more days before going on holiday :D I'd really like to finish everything except the front & rear cowling.. so more spraywork on the doors and some smaller red parts, a bit of polishing and cleaning up, and a few decals to do.

Cheers,
Marcus

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Door's fit looks good to me. Great project your have on going.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Could use some advice from you experts... Decals are terrible :evil: -- or is this the norm with MFH decals? Have been soaking them in Micro Sol for an hour now but they seem to be immune for that.
This is not going to be "that painted on look"...
This is not going to be "that painted on look"...
What can I do? Am I doing something wrong? Should I just be patient and trust that Micro Sol will do its thing? Order a new decal sheet and do things differently?

Rest of the car is coming together nicely.
Small decals were no problem of course
Small decals were no problem of course
IMG_4468.jpg
IMG_4475.jpg
Half an hour later now, starting to look a little better, but I'm not really feeling confident. Hope I can pick this up tomorrow, I can't stay up forever applying more Micro Sol :( I don't have that much experience with softening decals, but I remember the decals to go all wrinkly and then magically straighten out. But this feels like applying Micro Sol on linoleum. Makes me worried for my -- possibly next project -- Porsche 917 "hippie car" :cry:
IMG_4476.jpg
Thanks for any advice on the decals...

Marcus

ah100m
F2
F2
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Post by ah100m »

I had good luck with Cartograph decals using a small hairdryer, like you buy for traveling. You might want to experiment on a decal you're not going to use on the car, if you have one. Not sure whose decals MFH uses.

You could also try Solvaset which is stronger than Microset. I'm not sure it's still available. My bottle is about twenty years old.

You're using the liquid from the plastic bottle with the red writing, right?

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I used Microsol and a hair dryer, but the problem is those decals can crack if you are not careful

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

mvc wrote:Could use some advice from you experts... Decals are terrible :evil: -- or is this the norm with MFH decals? Have been soaking them in Micro Sol for an hour now but they seem to be immune for that.

What can I do? Am I doing something wrong? Should I just be patient and trust that Micro Sol will do its thing? Order a new decal sheet and do things differently?

Rest of the car is coming together nicely.

Half an hour later now, starting to look a little better, but I'm not really feeling confident. Hope I can pick this up tomorrow, I can't stay up forever applying more Micro Sol :( I don't have that much experience with softening decals, but I remember the decals to go all wrinkly and then magically straighten out. But this feels like applying Micro Sol on linoleum. Makes me worried for my -- possibly next project -- Porsche 917 "hippie car" :cry:

Thanks for any advice on the decals...

Marcus
Hi Marcus,

initially I only wanted to quote the 917 section. It is not a possibility. It is a necessity ;).

As for the decals, I think they were a common critique for years and I'm not sure that they have been changed in the sense
that now someone else does them for them, Cartograph? Or maybe that is still wishful thinking on my part. I'll be interested
to see how you tackle the Hippie, since I have both this #23 P4 and that Hippie 917 in my stash as well.
My plan was to use the MFH decals as templates - photocopy or scan them, then separate them into ribbons of individual
colours and apply them, one after the other. Probably use those individual photocopied ribbons on some wide masking tape,
cut out whatever and however you want to mask (straight through the paper and the tape) and apply that mask to the body.
At least that is *my* plan for both the 1970's #3 Hippie LH #3 and the #23 Salzburg KH cars as well as the #21 Martini LH (and
of course for the 1971 #22 Martini KH as well, but I haven't bought that one yet :oops: )

However, in the case of the Hippie you will probably lose the night-glow effect unless the numbers and the roundels are not
one piece but separate elements - I can't remember since it's been a year or more since I last had a look inside the box :(.

Not sure how that would affect the #23 P4 though since I haven't looked at the decals either. From what I remember from
my research a decade ago the outlines of the numbers were dayglo colours - not sure if that means they contain phospor
or whatnot particles that make them glow at night. But I'm thinking you could probably try the stencil method as well (bit
late for that now though ;)) - and mask the roundel as per the MFH "template" and then apply another 2 masks - one wider
for the entire area inside the dayglo outline, and then another where you just mask of the black of the actual number.
So layer the paint - Ferrari red, white roundel, dayglo outline, numbers.

That aside you're doing an impressive job of this car. I love it - certain that I have mentioned that a time or two already :).
It's just a pity that you want see the glorious radiator unless you display the car with the bonnet off which would also be
a shame :) - you lose either way :P
Cheers,
Roman