1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Post by gp-models »

Great work Marcus, keep it coming! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Hi all,

Finally, after more than a year :oops:, an update. Private and business matters kept me from keeping up the pace. Over the year I have been on and off the project and didn't have the time or focus to take pictures and maintain the WIP.

In the meantime the chassis is ready to roll ;). Since the extensive work on the oil cooler upgrade, everything is pretty much out of the box, with the exception of brake lines and some subframe beams that were too short or just too hard to straighten out. There are a few details I still want to add but they can be easily added on the way (mostly wiring & tubing).
IMG_5873.jpg
IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5895.jpg
IMG_5896.jpg
IMG_5902.jpg
Right now it's time to start thinking about the bodywork paint job. I really want rivets on the bodywork (instead of the default holes), so the choice is: 1) apply the rivets, then paint (making polishing almost impossible) or 2) first paint & polish, then add rivets and paint the rivets manually with a little drop of red each.

Hope to keep you updated more often in the near future!

Cheers,
Marcus

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

wow, chassis looks incredible

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

mmm, me like!

Nice clean build, with lots of attention paid to details: nice natural drape of in scale wiring, air intake funnels nicely aligned.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Finally! An update, long sought after. So I've downloaded all pictures from this thread and put them in my
reference archive (again). I really love how the car is coming along, especially some of the chassis shots
from earlier in this thread. Absolutely beautiful.

Without the bodywork attached this reminds me somehow of a remote controlled car without the shell.
Stupid comparison, but anyway.
On the rivet topic, I would probably glue all the rivets in place and paint the entire body, rivets and all,
in one go and then try to polish it with cotton fibres etc.. What might works otherwise is stick the rivets
in some sort of semi hard foam with the stem and then spray painting them together with the solo body
just to establish equal paint coverage, then polish the body. You may need to redrill the holes for the
rivets, then glue the rivets and maybe try polishing just over the rivets again.

Question is - should the body be polished anyway? ;). Again lotsa bla bla by me, carry on Marcus! :)
Cheers,
Roman

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Very nice build, glad to see another of these beasts built

You are doing excellent work

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Nice to see an update on this Marcus.
And what update. Love it.

For the polishing vs rivets I have the same nightmare. Roman is very analytic but the problem is the sanding process (with micromesh) before polishing (with the compounds). I usually also sand and polished all my models, even if I have a complete non orange peel and super shiny clear coat. This make the models more realistic in scale and more authentic.

Maybe the process clear coat, sanding, polishing, re-drill the holes if necessary, paint the rivets, attach rivets, is the way to go. Any suggestions are also very welcome.

george

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Nice one!!!
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice to see you back modeling Marcus, good progress! :)

About the rivets i would go for the way George pointed to, first paint job with sanding and polishing, then adding the seperate painted rivets. I do it similar and a good example is this 312 F1 build from Bodo of how it turns out going that way. Take a look at the finished model, speeks for itself.

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28325
Take a stand!

ferrarissimus
World Champion
World Champion
Germany

Post by ferrarissimus »

Your 312 looks fantastic. I did both methods and I don't know what is the better one. But there were not those super polished cars in the aera of riveted cars. We take modern paint technology with base coats and 2K clear coats for our cars from the 50th to the 70th, but they used only one paint coat. The model cars look better with the deep shiny clear coat, but it is not realistic.
So in my opinion it is better first the rivets and later on the paint job.

Cheers ferrarissimus