1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Ferrari 330P4

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Fantastic work, it's really coming together well. The improvement to the windshield wiper is great, funny how little things can make a big impact.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Cheers,
Chris

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Wow Marcus, wow.
I steal it for my 1/12 builds. Thanks for sharing!

George

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very nice progress Marcus, great paint job! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Hi all,

It's been a long time, again, since the last update but the project is still alive. There are a few nasty problems that need to be overcome that I didn't have the energy for lately -- but after all weren't that hard to fix.
One problem: panel gaps on the left side
One problem: panel gaps on the left side
Worse, panel gaps on the right side
Worse, panel gaps on the right side
Even worse: the whole rear subframe section is way too high, so the rear cowling doesn't fit at all. I knew this for a while, but tried to deny it as long as possible :P
Even worse: the whole rear subframe section is way too high, so the rear cowling doesn't fit at all. I knew this for a while, but tried to deny it as long as possible :P
Solution time now 8)
Took some material away from the subframe's lower  tubes, now the angle is ok. Had to take apart quite a lot, very frustrating, but I'll spare you the gory details. It could even be that there was nothing wrong with the subframe at all, but that the whole engine assembly is (still) incorrectly mounted to the chassis. But I'm definitely not going back that far.
Took some material away from the subframe's lower tubes, now the angle is ok. Had to take apart quite a lot, very frustrating, but I'll spare you the gory details. It could even be that there was nothing wrong with the subframe at all, but that the whole engine assembly is (still) incorrectly mounted to the chassis. But I'm definitely not going back that far.
Much better!
Much better!
Needs a second round of putty, but also much better
Needs a second round of putty, but also much better
Not perfect, but this is all I can do. This particular red part is the worst of the (my) kit. I've tried a lot, took material away, relocated the screw hole (hence the metal plate), added material to get a reasonable fit to the central red part -- this is the best I can do.
Not perfect, but this is all I can do. This particular red part is the worst of the (my) kit. I've tried a lot, took material away, relocated the screw hole (hence the metal plate), added material to get a reasonable fit to the central red part -- this is the best I can do.
By the way, I prefer perfect fit over moveable doors. I want to be able to admire the shape of this beautiful car when finished, so all body parts must look good when closed. If this means they cannot be opened anymore, so be it.

Thanks for watching!

Marcus

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

I had the same issue with the rear cowling/engine cover- I chose to make this an 'exposed' chassis' model as a solution.

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Wow, this looks amazing. Glad you're finding solutions for the body panels. Can't wait to see it all painted!

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Fantastic!!
As usual!

Pascal 8)
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Great job ! Respect !

Alex.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Great fixes. Has everyone experienced these problems or is it just your kit's combination of resin parts?

Joe.

rasputen
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by rasputen »

I've had the same issues with the gaps between the doors and the two front cowling pieces. I've also had to re-drill the hole for the left side cowl piece like Marcus. I also heated this piece up and re-shaped it to make it fit the door and the bottom of the windshield more closely. In order to keep the doors operational, I re-cast the inner doors out of resin. These are much lighter and will not lose their shape like the soft white metal ones supplied with the kit. I also re-made the window frames out of .032 inch brass, so that they will keep their shape as well.

I was very careful when constructing the chassis, and made 100s of trial fittings to make sure the rear bodywork would line up correctly. I'll probably re-make the rear bodywork hinges out of brass as well, as I'm afraid the white metal parts will fatigue and eventually break.