WIP: Lotus 88 USA 1981 Elio De Angelis

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

WIP: Lotus 88 USA 1981 Elio De Angelis

Post by lezdep »

With 3 models out of my pipeline recently, I can start couple of new builds. Most exciting was Ebbro Lotus 88. So, I started it.
I've selected a Blue Essex car for my build. Started it about a month ago. First was step of cutting off and preparing parts. Then
I did light test fit assembly. Impressions with fit and quality are quite positive. 2 light grey part trees seem to be made from
softer type of plastic. It feels different to familiar hard plastics of Tamiya and Fujimi models. Hopefully no loaded parts in the
model are made form this softer plastic. Black parts seem to be stronger. Body panels made in blue plastic feel "normal" as well.

Below is a quick shot of my work table. Quite a bit more work was needed to get parts ready for primer at that point.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Re: WIP: Lotus 88 USA 1981 Elio De Angelis

Post by lezdep »

Last night, I have reached important for me milestone in this build. Mounted and primed all the parts.
Took about 4 hours to mount all those parts for painting. Fortunately most of them I was able to mount
using 3M mounting tape and it was not difficult. Only relatively small number of tiny parts and pipes
needed to be super glued to toothpicks and thin wires.

This is a milestone step for me in any build, because from that point all future tasks are much more
fun to do, compare to preparation steps. Also remaining steps are easier and feel more productive to
me. It's just a feeling, but progress really becomes more visible and appreciative from this point.

Quick shot of parts drying inside my paint booth under outgoing flow of air. In 48 hours I will start
applying colors. That's fun I am looking forward to. Primer coats on body parts seems to be not 100%
perfect. This will trigger one more tedious step I don't like - polishing and potentially re-priming of
them. I always hope for better outcome and less work on that step.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Great choice and i do love the production line for priming...

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Very nice Sergey!! Looking forward to how your car turns out. The one I built had to of been the most fun i've ever had building an F1 car, its a gorgeous kit.

Word of warning though, do be careful on the assembly of the rear suspension/gearbox, as things get a bit fiddly with so many attaching points. I probably should have test fitted 10 times more than I did.

Will you be using the chrome decals? I found them to be very effective at replicating the sheen and texture of the real car, at least IMO!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

mobiusone wrote:Very nice Sergey!! Looking forward to how your car turns out. The one I built had to of been the most fun i've ever had building an F1 car, its a gorgeous kit.
Word of warning though, do be careful on the assembly of the rear suspension/gearbox, as things get a bit fiddly with so many attaching points. I probably should have test fitted 10 times more than I did.
Will you be using the chrome decals? I found them to be very effective at replicating the sheen and texture of the real car, at least IMO!
Thanks for heads up. Your build looked great. I am very happy Ebbro made this kit. Plan is to use chrome decals, as I will be painting body with matched Zero paint.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

always great to see you work sergey, looks like a good start.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

You're off to a great start, Sergey. This will be a great finish, in your hands.

But wow, I think you've got more toothpicks than I do..!! :shock:

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I've been enjoying extra modeling time I can put in during holidays. Making a good progress on this build.
Painted SG black, aluminum, steel and bunch of other Alclad shades on various parts. Then brush painted
some details. Body parts were painted in Zero Essex blue and then clear coated with 2K gloss. I plan to
start assembly steps soon. Will also work on decals at some point in near future.

Here is a small mock up to show how body color looks like.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Nice paint work....that looks so smooth.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very good Start :) . Keep 'Em comin'.