1/12 Protar Ferrari 126C2

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: 1/12 Protar Ferrari 126C2

Post by Fiatphile »

accuracing wrote:Hi

The anodized blue suspension plates seems to be a one shot thing during the Brazillian GP.
Did no see any other occasion later during the season. It is a nice colorful detail to add.

Cheers
image76.jpeg
You tha man. That is a very clear and sharp photo. Again you give me the needed info to model the early racer. Also for first time noticed! The what looks like foam tape running along the front of the chassis. Would this have been used to seal or keep the front of the body shell from vibrating against the mono coup. Details, it's all in the details.
Rick
I feel the need for speed.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

The Ferrari power plant compared to the Renault RE23 (Protar kit).
The Ferrari was a beast of an engine compared to each other.
But we all know, the Renault Turbo RE23 was a fast competitive racer out of
the box.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by Fiatphile on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

The C2 keeps giving surprises even for the lovers like us. Never had realized the blue plates...
If you chose Brazil, keep in mind there are significant differences in livery you might no love.

Such as white pinstripe (IMHO looks so mush better without), small FIAT (How would a Fiat Phile want a smaller Fiat?? :lol: ) etc. And most important, 13" front rims.
Nevertheless, look somewhere else on this site about this car's wheels!!! great story.
TH Protar is basically in San Marino/Zolder specs.
I'll take a look at my GPI scans, anyway...
And yes, it had clear tape (and silver tape too) at some places, peobably covering sharp edges of alu skins. THis one was longitudinally made up of two halves... glued!!!

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Well, guess I will will pass on the blue supports. Too many other changes that I do not desire to tackle. And yes, I like it better w/o the white pin stripping. Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Rick

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

And ban all small FIAT markings.......lol.
Rick

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

Hello again

The Protar kit as many flaws and qualities. It is possible to improve on some of the issues, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary to over analyse the thing.
You may risk loosing interest if you aim for a near perfect replica.

The kit decals are a fair representation of the San Marino/Zolder markings. Any other race will required some artwork.
The basic configuration of the kit is very close to a Pironi version at San Marino (because of the front brake scoops and front wing).

This is what I've done with mine:
front2b.jpg
Removed the front wing, scratchbuilt a set a front brake scoops, removed the black plastic plate on top of the fuel cell (a feature that appeared at Zolder) and left everything else stock. So I have a almost accurate Villeneuve at San Marino car.

When the kit was released in 1982, the only way to get reference pictures was to buy every available magazine about F1. It was difficult to gather information, nowadays with this wicked internet thing, you can find so much information, it is bound to influence how we build our kits. If you want to build a kit quickly, you have to stay away from Google Image and this forum (but that is so much fun! isn't it).

Cheers

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Nice build..... ditto. At this point, I am sticking with the early version, use the front wing and stay with the printed front brake ducts. Agree, can get stuck in the details and lose interest. After seeing yours, I am hyped with how nice this kit can turn out.
Cheers
Rick

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

accuracing wrote: When the kit was released in 1982, the only way to get reference pictures was to buy every available magazine about F1. It was difficult to gather information, nowadays with this wicked internet thing, you can find so much information, it is bound to influence how we build our kits. If you want to build a kit quickly, you have to stay away from Google Image and this forum (but that is so much fun! isn't it).

Cheers
Yeah, I always say the same: there are no unaccurate models, just we get to anal checking te references :lol: :lol:
Yes, I agree. The Protar should basically be accepted AS IS but... yes improving/replaing some of the flaws. Some are quite easy.
Rik, yes, I always loved the big FIAT badges.
One thing that you must replace, YES or YES is the numbers. Revell and Protar got it wrong... the outline is sooo thick and it really shows. That's easy, I have replacements I made for me, and also Indycals has a nice replacement decals set.
Then there's the wheels, I'll pm you about it.

About info, yes, there was quite specially GPI magazine. The 126C2 was particularly well treated (there've been other models that for some reason it's soooo hard to get good pics of). Nowadys there's not a huge difference today, not so many new pics have emerged. One good thing, even if sad, is that there are few post 82 pics (with the danger of restored unaccurate stuff), as all the 126C2 were either distroyed, either transformed into C2B. AFAIK, no one chassis with rocker arm front suspensions survived. There's a backdates car that you can see on the internet but it's rare. Nevertheless, as said, there are enough contemporary pics...

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Thanks again for the insight. I know Protar kits leave a lot to be desired by many builders. I got turned onto them while stationed with the US Army in the FRG.
I just like their qwerkiness They do build up into nice representations if time is taken to do so. With that said, given our obsession to be 100% accurate, we miss the intent of the hobby....build and have fun. I am all for researching a project. And do like to add those little details. But here of late, just want to enjoy the build, not stress over the correct nut that holds the part on the real racer.
I have already ordered and received the decals from Indycals. Am interested in what is up with tires. Will probley just stay with what came in kit. The rims will be striped of the chrome and repainted. Did see a set a rims for this racer, I just have a hard time paying 3 times for them what I paid for the kit!
Now, keep the advice coming fellas. That's what I love about this place.
Rick

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

Hi

The wheel situation is this, at the beginning of the season Ferrari used 13" rims all around. Then, they started using some 15" rims, sometimes only at the rear, sometimes all around. There is more info in the Spotter's guide about each race configuration.

The Protar kit as 13" wheels, that makes it inacurate for a San Marino (15" at the rear) or Zolder car (15" all around).

It is only 2" scale inches, but you can see the difference once you check the reference pictures. The side wall of the tire is slimmer with the 15" wheels.

Overall, I consider it to be a minor issue, but if a reasonnably price option was available, I would probably buy a set.
It doesn't make sense to spend 300$ -400$ for a set a wheels alone. In that price range, it might be time to consider the MFH kits.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers