1/12 Protar Ferrari 126C2

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

1/12 Protar Ferrari 126C2

Post by Fiatphile »

A new project under way. Protars Ferrari 126C2 1/12 scale. Going old school with some of the chassis. Also received a set of Shapeways 3D printed brake air ducts. This is one of my all time favorite racers from Ferrari.
Attachments
image.jpeg
I feel the need for speed.

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Re: 1/12 Protar Ferrari 126C2

Post by accuracing »

Hi

I've built one not too long ago and was pleasently surprised, this kit is quite easy to build.
Of course it is a tooling from the 80's, but with some TLC it will turn out great.
I will be curious to see those clear brake ducts, are they front and rear? (guess I should search on Shapeways!)

Cheers

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

accuracing wrote:Hi

I've built one not too long ago and was pleasently surprised, this kit is quite easy to build.
Of course it is a tooling from the 80's, but with some TLC it will turn out great.
I will be curious to see those clear brake ducts, are they front and rear? (guess I should search on Shapeways!)

Cheers
They are a frosted translucent white.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Have spent most of today cleaning, squaring and fitting the puzzle that makes the main portion of the engine. Funny how Protar made this to assemble as a group of interlocking pieces. I have deviated from some aspects of this....i.e: valve covers had the tabs cut off to help make them set flat and flush. The only other area that I do not like the looks of is the rear portion that locks into the transmission. But have pretty much got it to butt up tight. Will post some photos of the block tomarrow after everything is assembled. I really have enjoyed the way they made this assembly of the engine.
Rick
Last edited by Fiatphile on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

accuracing thanks much for the link on the 126C.
Great history and reference material to gleen.
Rick

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

The 126 C2 is the favorite subject of our friend Marcus (another Gilles Villeneuve fan like me), we had the chance to work together on this chapter of the "spotter's guide" series.

I hope tou won't be to too distracted by the differences between the kit and the actual car. The Protar kit is a mix bag of features from the early 1982 season.

The printed scoops looks good.

Cheers

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

accuracing wrote:The 126 C2 is the favorite subject of our friend Marcus (another Gilles Villeneuve fan like me), we had the chance to work together on this chapter of the "spotter's guide" series.

I hope tou won't be to too distracted by the differences between the kit and the actual car. The Protar kit is a mix bag of features from the early 1982 season.

The printed scoops looks good.

Cheers
Yes, the read with a cup of coffee was very good. Learned quite a lot and the photos are wonderful. And the kit is a mix bag of details, but I plan to stick to the early 82 season in the build as well. Many many years ago, building Century Jets, a
way to replicate the natural aluminum skin, was to cover the jet in aluminum foil. Running the grain of the foil different directions resulted in a really true effect. That is what I am thinking on the main part of the frame work.
We will see. Thanks for your help.
Rick

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

The printed scoops are the neatest aftermarket items I have bought. Shapeways.com has many interesting items. Indycals also sells them as well. I have bought 3 sets so far. 312T, 312T3 and the set for the 126C. They also are available in 1/20th scale.
I am going to see if you send them a part, will they print it for you....ie: a seat and or
break fluid cylinders. Give them a look, pricey, but worth it.

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

superb result. i wait for a moment to follow this way.

i follow you with great interres!

cédric

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Protar kits are not shake and bake. They are builders kits, emphasizing builders, sand, file, clamp and the glue. Got the block/ trans glued up. Some parts are just set into place to insure they line up and fit the way designed. Better to find this out now and not after that first coat of paint. Over all happy with the look of the power plant.
The designer for this kit had a sense of humor.
But it is together. Plast-I-Weld works well w/the plastic used by Protar. Tamiya seemed
not to do too well. More fitting and some sheet plastic work and then ready for primer.
Attachments
image.jpeg