WIP: McLaren builds

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: WIP: McLaren builds

Post by vekkuli »

Very nice Result on mp4/30 :) .

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I've lost the fight with MP4/6's body shell. Just could not get white on it properly. It's second time in my building history that
I have had plastic crazed by Zero paints. My own fault likely. Probably went too heavy on paint. After number of attempts to
fix white coat, I've finally decided to strip it. Just another small set back. I've got used to them by now.

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cédric

Francisco
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Francisco »

the work was very clean on both and sure you will resolve the mp4/6 cowl painting !

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

After body was stripped off of paint from my previous attempt, it took me a while to get it primed and painted base white.
Work on other projects got in the way. But last weekend I got it masked and was able to put fluo orange on. In attempt to
minimize paint bleeds under masking tape, I’ve “sealed” masks with one more coat of base white. In the end it did not
come out perfect, but it’s not too bad either. I was able to polish some overspray, bleeds and orange peal spots. So, I am ok
with it and it will have to do it for this build. Need to get thin clear coat on top of base paint, before I could apply decals.
Color is a bit off on the photo made with my cell phone. I will get proper white balanced photos after clear is applied and true
colors show.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

After some hiatus MP4/6 returned to my work bench. I've had a change of heart and decided to add more details,
instead of doing it OOB, as was originally planned. It will be mostly based on instructions from TopStudio's 1/12 super
detail set and a bit of inspiration from Tamiya 1/12 kit. Also plan to add brake fluid lines. There is a lot of wires and
hoses on real car. Most of those I could not figure out. So, I will add few items I could understand the routing for.
Hose material I've used is not really correct. Started with oil and water hoses. Here are couple of quick shots of current
state. Real car looks to have black hoses with foil isolating material over them. But I will not be able to simulate them
properly in this scale. So, braided hoses will do it for this build.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Nice to see you back on this one Sergey. I detailed my MP4/6 too, the chassis/engine just cries out for detail. I did a WIP on here, really enjoyed building it.
Like the detail you've added so far, will follow your progress...

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Hi Sergey,
great job on the engine of the 4/6, very inspiring indeed.

I don't know if you are going to build the McLaren with cowling on or off the car, in the first case I am curious to know if you have fitting issues like I did, there was no way I could fit the cowling without "slicing" the tub behind the cockpit, as indicated in the photo below:
30380412922_329f83c25f_b.jpg
My next MP4/6 will be definitely with cowling off to show off that beautiful Honda engine without having to worry about fitting issues and front ride height.
Can't wait to see more!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Worked on adding wires and making wire loom for MP4/6 during past two weekends. User shrinking tube, super glue and thin
wires to make something that looks like what TopStudio instructions for 1/12 kit present. Not going to replicated all wiring that
they call out. And it's going to be way short of real car. But at least model will look a little "busier" in the end, hopefully. I've also
decided to make brake fluid lines on this model. That required from me to make a hole in front bulkhead, so I could route lines
from fluid cylinders to brake calipers and into cockpit, from where one line goes to rear splitter and rear calipers as well. Wiring
and plumbing on the engine is in progress.

Here are some photos. I think I need a better lighting. Not easy to make good photos of small details.

Topic author
lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Worked on decal application for past 2 weekends. Most of the livery is done. Remaining decals are the white ones.
For whatever reason white decals in this kit has already yellowed a bit. This is a relatively recent kit and it's quite
surprising to see white decals yellow so fast. I will try to expose them to sun light and if it does not help, will likely
have to look for alternatives.