Ferrari 312 T4 MFH 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Ferrari 312 T4 MFH 1/20

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Hello all

So this is my first wip here. I must say this is awsome site with awsome builds. I am learning a lot here from you.

Slowly I am starting to work on this lovely kit. Hakko soldering station is home and flux with solder from MFH on its way. Intention is to leave as most as possible pieces in natural metal finish. What is making me nervous are those numerous rivets around monocoque. What would you guys suggest as replacement? I am thinking of 0,4mm resin rivets, but they seem to me quite big and I didnt find any 0,3mm....

Here are few pics... nothing done at all, just mocking up
DSC_0457.jpg
DSC_0455.jpg
DSC_0459.jpg
This is the place where rivets are completely gone. wouldnt look good without them
strhane nity.jpg

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Re: Ferrari 312 T4 MFH 1/20

Post by turbothirtytwo »

small progress on the engine made...
I am labouring what can be achieved with bare metal surface and in the meantime glued engine together and cleaned all main parts for building it.
Still not decided wheather to leave tub in bare metal or paint, but after cleaning it I found some more imperfections on it
Part fit is quite good after some adjusting
DSC_0628.JPG
DSC_0627.JPG
DSC_0625.JPG

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Hi dear modellers

Front wing is prepared to be clearcoated and decaled. I replicated rivets with solder wire and polished the wing with various grades of sandpaper from 180 to 1000 grit. Than used steelwool and at the end polishing compounds from coarse to fine. It seems that my CA glue is old and thick. I must buy new one---
DSC_0716.jpg
DSC_0718.jpg
I also recieved solder and flux, so I am learning how to solder properly...Must say its no near what I saw in tutorials :D
What is strange to me that my hakko is probably miscalibrated, becase I must set temperature to 340C to melt solder.. :shock:

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Very nice start on your project and will be watching it with interest.
With regards to soldering white metal I've found it to be a bit of a non-exact science. Most of the time you will have to file and sand most solder joints.

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Hi turboF1

Thank you for your reply. I like your 97 too :) I found out that I must use least possible ammount of solder to save me from lot of sanding

I cannot resist to decal the wing. decals are laid on gunze metal primer for better adhesion. I will clearcoat it after a few days dry. They are quite stiff BTW
DSC_0730.jpg
gearbox pices soldered together
DSC_0731.jpg
DSC_0732.jpg

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Great looking start, keep up the good work.

Jordan

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Testfiting.... hope I will manage to align front suspension assembly right
DSC_0734.jpg
DSC_0735.jpg

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

few things done.... exhausts almost aligned, need to adjust them here and there. Also manage to solder tubular frames. as you can see there is noticable difference between coloring of tub and PE parts, so painting is a must.
DSC_0711.JPG
DSC_0712.JPG

Hugo_Luyten
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Hugo_Luyten »

Looking great so far!
The exhaust pipes are lined up, front suspension seems to be oké. I think the latter one, and the fragile mounting of the rear spoiler are the tricky parts of this kit.

I also started on this kit, and for me it is my first MFH to build, so a lot to learn for me. I almost finished cleaning up parts and waiting to receive my low-temp.solder.

I like what I see, you did a great job so far. Have you already decided wether or not you will paint the monocoque or leave it polished? I'm still doubting what to do for myself. The polished metal looks great, but not really aluminium. Another advantage of painting will be that you can deal with irregularities in the surface, and add the missing rivets on the left side (the same as my kit).
For proper height of the suspension: I was thinking of dryfitting the wheels to the suspension in combination with the white metal spacing frame of the kit to ensure proper alignment and height.

Finish of the spoiler is fantastic! Is it necessary to put a clear primer coat first to give the decals a snug fit to the surface?

Looking forward to see the next in progress pics of your 312T4.

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Hi Hugo. Thank you for you kind words. I am biased more on painting the monocoque. I am considering to use gunze SM06 chrome silver and tone it abit here and there to crush monotone surface. In my kit missing rivets are on more places than left side of the tub. I decided to renew them by CA glue. just drop of CA with toothpick tip on a lost rivet. I think it can do the job.

I will definitely try to mount wheels and set the ride height before any painting of the suspension. I was browsing some builds and find one japaneese blog, where it seems that spacer is wrong size. I will try to find a link, anyway mine will be displayed on sawhorses...problem solved :D

Front wing was shot with gunze metal primer before decaling so the clear that wil go afterwards have something to stick onto

Please make a thread about yours...