Ferrari 312 T4 MFH 1/20

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Hugo_Luyten
Formula e
Formula e

Re: Ferrari 312 T4 MFH 1/20

Post by Hugo_Luyten »

Looking forward to see some pics of the eventual test with Chrome Silver. That's good idea to add the missing rivets, I'll try that too.
Next weekend there is the last modeling show in Belgium for this year, and I'm gonna pick up the required paints etc. I'm gonna do some testing with ALCLAD and AK Aluminium, Pol. aluminium, Chrome Silver and the AK True Metal oil paint (I think it's similar to Rub'N'Buff). Let's see what the result will be.
That's indeed a good solution to avoid the problem with the height of the car, very smart ;-) I would be very happy if you could find that specific blog in your internet browser history.

Of course I'll make a thread once I start with dry-fitting. I'm almost ready with cleanup of all parts. Metal primer etc. will be picked up next Sunday. I'm really looking forward to finally start dry-fitting, priming, painting and assembling of this one after all that cleanup work.

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Alclads and polishing pastes are a waste of time I think. they will rub very easily. best way you can paint alclad is to spray it into fresh TS paint so it sticks together. it is fargile but not like when you paint it on cured paint. Polishing pastes will rub too because they are polishable. its their nature. I am going to find that blog

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Hugo_Luyten
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Hugo_Luyten »

Thanks for the warning concerning the Alclad and polishing paste, I was already scared about there weak adhesives. We'll find another way ;-)

Thank you for the link to the blog, it looks very interesting!

Best regards,
Hugo

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

front wheel hub assembly. Brake disc surface grinded with 320grit sandpaper...
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0092.JPG

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Really nice with on the 312T4! I have to say that the finish you got on the wing is stunning, I would think you would be able to get a great finish on the monocoque as well, but gonna take some elbow grease. Personally, I think Also as paints are great, use the often for a variety of different metal finishes. Just need to be sure the surface it's clean and smooth, or they'll show blemishes. I'm certain however you proceed it's gonna come out great.
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
turbothirtytwo
F2
F2

Post by turbothirtytwo »

Hello dear modelers

So I made some paint tests and am bit dissapointed with result. SM06 on glossy grey and black base. result is more silver than metal and paint has significant grain.
DSC_0163.JPG
So I decided to polish the tub to high shine matching PE bits on it. Also decided to make rivets negative. That way I can add them where they´re missing. Thanx for input CBartholomew4677
DSC_0161.JPG

Hugo_Luyten
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Hugo_Luyten »

Hi,
Good to see you are testing with paint before applying them to the model. I think it's an endless discussion with pro's and con's about how to treat the monocoque.
I've never tested the SM6 Chrome Silver, so I can only see your testing on the spoons and I can't say if this is the real shine of this particular color. Hard to see the grainy effect on the pics. Maybe a case of the right thinner? Don't know. Is it possible to slightly polish the CS?
When I look at the picture below the aluminium looks quite dull, then on the second picture the aluminium has a more glossy appearance (both pics are not from the 312T4 we are building, but just as an example):

Are you going to seal the polished monocoque to prevent it from altering?

I'm going to test with Alclad Alu and Polished alu, then seal it with their Aqua Gloss. I'm also going to try with Alclad Alu and polish it with Rub'N'Buff and seal it. I also have both Alu paints from AK, so that will be my third test. I'll share my testing in my posting as soon as possible.

Looking forward to see your progress!

430Scuderia
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 430Scuderia »

Hi guys,
I'm currently working on the same kit ( http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=90 ) which is my first F1 car after years of Aircraft and AFVs!
I've noticed the missing rivets too,but I haven't bothered turning them into "negs",in fact I'm currently taking notes as to modify and further detail my next MFH "Hybrid" T4! :mrgreen:
For my tub and for any other part that had to be painted in an aluminum/SS shade I've first primed the part with Gunze's metal primer and then I've airbrushed the paint,mostly Gunze Supermetallics and Alclads...the pictures seem "grainy" but it boils down to my photographic skills,or lack thereof!
DON'T,I repeat,DON'T use anything else as a primer because it will eventually be either chipped or scratched even with a finger nail,the Gunze (or Tamiya) primer goes on clear (useful if you want to keep the part un-painted) and it's actually a very diluted liquid resin that will be very scratch resistant and that will adere to any metallic surface,and it can ever been used as a primer on plastic and resin kits whit metal and PE details!Being clear it's a bit hard to tell where you've sprayed it,but even a very light coat will prevent the un-painted parts from tarnishing and dramatically help the paint to adhere!
Happy Modelling
Manu
Last edited by 430Scuderia on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo_Luyten
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Hugo_Luyten »

Maybe an idea for the future? see Eric's approach on the chassis of his Porsche 956:

http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=20

Obvious it will be necessary to seal it before starting with thinner and oil paint for washes. I'm going to give this a try too.