1/12 Matra MS11

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Re: 1/12 Matra MS11

Post by sky1911 »

I love those shots where the wires sprout from the engine in various directions. Because they reveal that
this is indeed a model and not the real car!

Superb work
Cheers,
Roman

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very nice work as usual Marcus! :D
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks again guys!

Today I completed the throttle mechanism.
That's my smallest solder work yet :). 0.6mm  in 0.8mm brass tube. The "eyes" are 1.1mm brass tube. I don't know the name of all these parts, it links the throttle mechanism to the fuel injection pump.
That's my smallest solder work yet :). 0.6mm in 0.8mm brass tube. The "eyes" are 1.1mm brass tube. I don't know the name of all these parts, it links the throttle mechanism to the fuel injection pump.
This will be the throttle linkage mechanism.
This will be the throttle linkage mechanism.
Linking rod finished... The top part cannot be painted, because then it will not slide into the bottom part anymore, and I think I can use the adjustability.
Linking rod finished... The top part cannot be painted, because then it will not slide into the bottom part anymore, and I think I can use the adjustability.
Installed on the car! I chose to route all the oil tubes under the new part. Most pics of the original cars are way more chaotic with oil tubes going everywhere, but I like this better and I think it captures the idea.
Installed on the car! I chose to route all the oil tubes under the new part. Most pics of the original cars are way more chaotic with oil tubes going everywhere, but I like this better and I think it captures the idea.
Another pic of the whole car...
Another pic of the whole car...
And I couldn't resist grabbing a real camera to make a closeup of the new part :)
And I couldn't resist grabbing a real camera to make a closeup of the new part :)
Three more subjects left: intake covers, electric components and fuel-related tubes & fittings.

Cheers,
Marcus

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

STUNNING!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers, H

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks H!

Today was intake cover day. First I had to punch out the mesh covers, because the kit doesn't supply any. Mesh was later painted Alclad white aluminium with a bit of Alclad transparent smoke.
Made 12 rings from thin metal wire and soldered them to get a closed ring. Getting the size right is the trickiest part, because they'll have to fit exactly over the mesh. So I made 20+ and use only the best :P
Made 12 rings from thin metal wire and soldered them to get a closed ring. Getting the size right is the trickiest part, because they'll have to fit exactly over the mesh. So I made 20+ and use only the best :P
A lot of fiddling around with the mesh and the ring (and a lot of cursing) to get it all together, then drag it through some CA-glue on a surface that doesn't react with the glue (in this case, the stuff that separates double sided tape).
A lot of fiddling around with the mesh and the ring (and a lot of cursing) to get it all together, then drag it through some CA-glue on a surface that doesn't react with the glue (in this case, the stuff that separates double sided tape).
Result! 11 more to go...
Result! 11 more to go...
And that's 12. Not all perfect, but good enough.
And that's 12. Not all perfect, but good enough.
Glued them to the stacks with Revell Contacta Clear; does not react with the paint, dries up transparent and keeps the covers in place.
Glued them to the stacks with Revell Contacta Clear; does not react with the paint, dries up transparent and keeps the covers in place.
Final pic of the car...
Final pic of the car...
Two more (big) things do now, electrics and fuel-related stuff. For both I have no good references so there will be a lot of improvising going on...

Thanks for watching,
Marcus

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Marcus,

The intake covers you have created are excellent. I especially like the technique you've used to scratchbuild these items.

I'd also like to thank you for the detailed explanations and very good photography which you have used throughout your Matra WIP. The efforts you've made in this aspect have made your Matra one of the most outstanding items in the entire forum.

I look forward to your next update.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

I completely agree with Paul, your Matra is simply amazing!

What kind of mesh did you use for the intake covers?

Cheers,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

@Paul: the pleasure is all mine! Without this forum I would never have had the energy and determination to push this whole project forward so much. It is really nice to know that there is an audience watching and commenting.

@Starr: it's brass mess, unknown brand I'm afraid, I bought it at my local hobby shop. It wasn't even the finest mesh available (that one I ruined at my first attempt) but I'm glad it remains transparent, even after painting.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Hi everybody,

Today I improvised the hoses connected to and around the fuel filter.

It's very hard to keep the standard up, voices in my head are screaming "let's get it done now! finish it!" :twisted: for a few weeks now.
Made a new lot of parts for all the fuel fittings I expect too use. Mostly 1.8/2.3mm brass.
Made a new lot of parts for all the fuel fittings I expect too use. Mostly 1.8/2.3mm brass.
A bit of soldering and glueing..
A bit of soldering and glueing..
Ready for paint. The tank is a scratch built part, sort of a dummy tank, to fill up an area that I have no clear pictures of. However I did some measurement wrong so it doesn't fit. Didn't like it anyway, to just "guess" some parts. I'll just settle with what I do know.
Ready for paint. The tank is a scratch built part, sort of a dummy tank, to fill up an area that I have no clear pictures of. However I did some measurement wrong so it doesn't fit. Didn't like it anyway, to just "guess" some parts. I'll just settle with what I do know.
Fuel hoses and fittings in place. That went easier than expected! The black vinyl tube is lined with 1mm solder wire, so it can be bent easily into any shape.
Fuel hoses and fittings in place. That went easier than expected! The black vinyl tube is lined with 1mm solder wire, so it can be bent easily into any shape.
These I could see on some pictures: the fitting at the rear bottom of the pontoon. I assume they're there to get the fuel from the fuel tanks, and that there should be one on both sides.
These I could see on some pictures: the fitting at the rear bottom of the pontoon. I assume they're there to get the fuel from the fuel tanks, and that there should be one on both sides.
Already did a little work on the electrics... There will be a lot of improvisation involved to finish it.
Already did a little work on the electrics... There will be a lot of improvisation involved to finish it.
Final shot, just for fun :)
Final shot, just for fun :)
With this done, only one major task to do: electric parts and wires. And a few minor improvements. And some cleanup & dusting. One more week max!

Cheers, Marcus

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Hi,

Unbelievable work Marcus!
Speechless build :shock: :!:

Pascal
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth