Alex's 1/12 MFH FW11B WIP - Updated 8/28/17

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Alex's 1/12 MFH FW11B WIP - Updated 8/25/17

Post by daveyman »

Been wondering how this kit was coming along, good to get an update. Looking really good, such a shame the decals continue to let these kits down tho. Shouldn't be an issue with such a kit.
Looking forward to seeing this move along...

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Very nice work.

Joe.

Topic author
Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Re: Alex's 1/12 MFH FW11B WIP - Updated 8/28/17

Post by Sennafan »

Some more work today, off work due to Harvey, not a good place to be on West side of Houston right now, but still with power and dry, so not complaining

Got turbo installed and all radiator hoses on left side, fit was overall ok except one radiator line was not the right shape at all

More work on side pod detailing

Decaling mostly finished

Rear wing almost completed

Finished seat belts, and dash

And this is how it looks now, added foil to chassis pan too

And one of the wheels with decals done and air stem installed

More to come

Alex Hague

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

Hi Alex and thank you. Your work inspired me to buy this kit. I was tempted anyway as I was at the British Grand Prix in 1987 - still the best race I have ever attended!

Got loads of photos from the FW11 at Donington if you need anything. Also am going to Williams HQ next month where they have another FW11. Any photo requests will be answered - if I am allowed.

As for the kit, I started it last week. I started on the side pods to get them over with and the decals have been fine so far. Fingers crossed. Tranny, Motor, Discs are all coming on much better than my MP4/4. Experience I guess - and the example you set!

Just two or three notes that might be of interest;

Having done 3 MFH kits now I have established that their decals work much better if you use cold water, not even tepid. Also once drenched, taking them out and just leaving them on the bench minimises cracking. Obviously takes much longer though.

I have been using tank track solution which rusts the white metal almost immediately. I can then use the rotary brush to get the metal parts back to something similar to your bleche white.

I have wiped the resin parts in Nitro Mors which is a paint remover over here. After the parts are rinsed, I can spray or paint the resin directly.

Can I ask if the pistons worked for you? I got two to move - but 4 have seized so I guess the glue has gone. My car isn’t going to win too much!!

Can’t wait for your next update.

Thank you,

Hugo

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Hi sennafan
Very impressive your Williams. Pity because of the bad decals. The problem you have however very well solved. The painting is also very beautifully succeeded. Anyway, then so I can look at a lot I should start my FW11B once. Currently I am at the MFH 1:12 Tyrrell P34 to grind and adjust. A lot of fun, am already looking forward to the finished model.
Lg.Martin
Seema

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I am well into my FW11b now and am at a conference at Williams’ conference centre tomorrow so am going to try and gather more close up photos - if I am allowed!

Can I ask you a few quick questions;

Re. the two water pipes that come out of the bottom front of the engine? The instructions have the two pipes crossing over each other. You show them sticking out without crossing over. Your installation seems more logical to me but I have done it as per the instructions! Should I break them off and reposition them? I haven’t attached the engine to the tub yet - but will have to do so soon! If I have made a mistake it would be much easier to attack them now!

Re. The decals. Horrible. I used Zero FW11 set but the blue wasn’t as dark as the kit decals so had to use them up to the front Mobil strip. Hard slog I must say. My Umbro wing decals disintegrated - simple as that! Thankfully had some clear decal paper to print the logo off the web. Have you found a match for the Barclay strip colour which has also cracked everywhere?

Re. Wiring. Did you use the wiring MFH provide? I find it really stiff and unnatural. Have you a better option?

Can’t wait for your next update. If I am allowed to take photos tomorrow, am also going to photo FW14 and FW16. Any particular requests, let me know in next 12 hours!

Topic author
Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I couldn't do the water pipes per the instructions so had to improvise
I tried to bend and follow instructions and was too difficult

I have tried using their wiring but do not like, try to use Top Studio wires as they are Matt black and come in several different thicknesses
And I have tried putting wires in the little rubber grommets but is too painful so I use heat shrink tubing from Top Studio

Alex Hague

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Hi Hugo,
Am a huge Williams fan any pics of Fw11 appreciated as have the kit to build as well!
At moment am building FW07 but also have an FW08
Have complete 1/12 FW14B Tamiya,1/12 FW16 Mfh,,1/20 FW36 Amc!
Sennafan-Just a quick note did you have warpage on the the rear wing end plates,as mine are severely out of shape! 8)

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

Took masses of FW11 photos and when home I will put them up. Somehow! Never done it before so any guidance welcome! They even have a FW11 tub on its own.

Have decided the Winfield colour scheme is a crime! Yuch

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Hi Alex,have been getting decals on with and thank you for your tips and build process has been very helpful on this model.
I have noticed that for the British GP version the rear cowling decal,"Tactel",is incorrect it should be,"Maranyl"
and under the Number 5 at the sides of cowlings should be the sign of Barclay not the lettering only the motif according to my references.
It is in my opinion try to be most accurate. 8)

Sennafan wrote:Been working this one for a while, here is where it stands

Basically been doing all the decals, still hate their decals, have to piece many together after they crack

More to come

Alex Hague