1/12 MFH Ferrari 126/C2

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/12 MFH Ferrari 126/C2

Post by gp-models »

turboF1 wrote:
jordan wrote:The valve covers from Gilles car @ Zolder :(

Alex.
I saw that picture even before I painted the cover.
But I decided to go with the MFH recommendation in their instructions.
While my choice is probably wrong I couldn’t find any other picture of the car’s engine prior to the accident to corroborate the color. My thinking was what if there was a small fire that melted the paint off or gasoline sprayed over the engine. Of course the Ferrari logo is ok but what if that was clear coated etc. Long story short I wasn’t sure so I just used the recommended color.
2k colours are heat resistant up to 600 degrees and even if they burn burn down, they will leave a black brown surface, not silver!
Take a stand!

Topic author
turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

gp-models wrote:
turboF1 wrote:
jordan wrote:The valve covers from Gilles car @ Zolder :(

Alex.
I saw that picture even before I painted the cover.
But I decided to go with the MFH recommendation in their instructions.
While my choice is probably wrong I couldn’t find any other picture of the car’s engine prior to the accident to corroborate the color. My thinking was what if there was a small fire that melted the paint off or gasoline sprayed over the engine. Of course the Ferrari logo is ok but what if that was clear coated etc. Long story short I wasn’t sure so I just used the recommended color.
2k colours are heat resistant up to 600 degrees and even if they burn burn down, they will leave a black brown surface, not silver!
Were 2K paints available in the 80’s?

Perhaps what we are seeing isn’t paint at all but bare aluminum.
If the cam cover wasn’t painted at all but just polished that could be a possibility too.

Topic author
turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Another issue I have is where is the Ferrari serial number badge/plate on that crash picture. If we are to assume all engines had one on that cam cover where is it? So my assumption is something bad happened to that cam cover during and or after the crash.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Yes they have been available in 80s and long before.
I guess it is a bare casted metal, not polished depending on the pics, but who knows!?
Take a stand!

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

With all my respect..the worst you can do is follow the MFH color guide :mrgreen: ..I think they got the most off there colors from restored Goodwood cars.I have build about seven 1/12 Hiro's and it is always the same song..wrong colors. NOW !..I do not blame Hiro for this,not in any way.I Know it takes hours and hours to do research for finding period pictures just for correct colors alone ( Joe Honda books are almost a must )...and ofcorse I am a grumpy old boy :roll:

My 2 cents,
Alex.

Topic author
turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

jordan wrote:With all my respect..the worst you can do is follow the MFH color guide :mrgreen: ..I think they got the most off there colors from restored Goodwood cars.I have build about seven 1/12 Hiro's and it is always the same song..wrong colors. NOW !..I do not blame Hiro for this,not in any way.I Know it takes hours and hours to do research for finding period pictures just for correct colors alone ( Joe Honda books are almost a must )...and ofcorse I am a grumpy old boy :roll:

My 2 cents,
Alex.
I appreciate the discussion. I know Hiro has that little disclaimer on their instruction sheet to “check your own documentation”. My choice is probably wrong and if I wanted to correct it I probably could using acetone and care. But what really bothers me more than the color is that the little decal on the cam cover is not in the right spot. The left edge should line up with the spark plug boot. This can be verified in plenty of pictures.

If only Joe Honda did a book on the 126/C2. From what I can tell it’s not a well documented car except for the wonderful Spotter’s Guide and some pictures of restored cars.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

turboF1 wrote:
jordan wrote:With all my respect..the worst you can do is follow the MFH color guide :mrgreen: ..I think they got the most off there colors from restored Goodwood cars.I have build about seven 1/12 Hiro's and it is always the same song..wrong colors. NOW !..I do not blame Hiro for this,not in any way.I Know it takes hours and hours to do research for finding period pictures just for correct colors alone ( Joe Honda books are almost a must )...and ofcorse I am a grumpy old boy :roll:

My 2 cents,
Alex.
I appreciate the discussion. I know Hiro has that little disclaimer on their instruction sheet to “check your own documentation”. My choice is probably wrong and if I wanted to correct it I probably could using acetone and care. But what really bothers me more than the color is that the little decal on the cam cover is not in the right spot. The left edge should line up with the spark plug boot. This can be verified in plenty of pictures.

If only Joe Honda did a book on the 126/C2. From what I can tell it’s not a well documented car except for the wonderful Spotter’s Guide and some pictures of restored cars.
Yes,strangely enough there is almost no picture to find from the car without bodywork...No mather what you did a great job mate,leave it as it is :wink:

Alex.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Tameo`s research is a bit better for correct colours, but i do not have the Belgian GP Kit and the instruction is not online available, maybe someone here has this kit and can take a look at the instructions.
The only instructions online are the US GP with silver covers, and the italian/Dutch/German GP which have different ones. A few time period pics are included too, maybe intersting for you.
http://www.tameokits.com/library/manuale/TMK316.pdf
Take a stand!

Topic author
turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

jordan wrote:
turboF1 wrote:

My 2 cents,
Alex.

Yes,strangely enough there is almost no picture to find from the car without bodywork...No mather what you did a great job mate,leave it as it is :wink:

Alex.
Thanks Alex! My plan is to proceed since everything is epoxied in place anyway. However, taking what I learned here I may buy a Hiro engine kit and display it next to the car so the cowling can stay on.

Topic author
turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Update to this WiP showing that I first test fitted the exhaust header, turbines and pop off exhaust pipe.
Test fit first using slow setup glue.
Test fit first using slow setup glue.
This is the exhaust headers and turbines glued together.
131AF823-006D-468F-ADD5-E34349C8107F.jpeg
B9C9CAAB-CDD9-48DB-A9C2-0AEB2E50BBB6.jpeg
CE764619-F936-481A-A3EC-5DA265875EB4.jpeg
Final result with pipes painted with “Burnt Iron”
Painted glued into engine.
Painted glued into engine.
Last edited by turboF1 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.