View topic - Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby senninha » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 am

Thats absolutely awesome, thanks for sharing ur techniques. Im very impressed.
senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:55 am
Favorite F1 Team: McLaren, Ferrari

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby Jose01jr » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:18 pm

dr_gn wrote:
Jose01jr wrote:Hob-bits screws have an assortment of brass screws that can be used for 1/12 scale cars. .90 with 1/4” long hex head tiny bolts.


Thanks, that's useful to know, I'd not heard of them. I think most of the suspension bolts on the real car have dimpled heads, and some have 12-point flanged heads. I can't remember what Top Studio do for this - I believe they're represented by gold p/e. I'll have to see what they look like.



Yes we used NAS bolts in racing because of the higher tensile strengths. With these Hob-bit bolts because they are brass you can drill the center to simulate the dimple and if you get the correct screws they actually thread into the Tamiya mounts. I used those on my FW14b back in 95
Jose01jr
Formula e
Formula e
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:31 pm

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby Seema » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:05 pm

The best MP4-6 build. I'm with every update. I am always happy when I come to f1m and their contribution is at the top. Simply great how you implement your skills. I have a little black book with all changes, tips, tips and tricks next to my PC. I hope it will be full until the model is finished. Since I have followed their construction, my 4-6 and the TS kit have been at the top of the stack. Many years ago I built it with the PP and brake set. Built you can't really see it. Excuse my enthusiasm but it is unique what you can get out of the already great kit's. So, enough to write with, I'm already looking forward to the next entry. The wait is tough. Thank you for sharing and explaining your work with us. Very appreciated.
lg.Martin
User avatar
Seema
F2
F2
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:27 am
Favorite F1 Team: Ferrari,Brabham,Williams,Lancia,Mclaren, Lotus, Tyrrell,....

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby senninha » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Nothing to add to the previous post, that is outstanding
senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:55 am
Favorite F1 Team: McLaren, Ferrari

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby dr_gn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 pm

Seema wrote:The best MP4-6 build. I'm with every update. I am always happy when I come to f1m and their contribution is at the top. Simply great how you implement your skills. I have a little black book with all changes, tips, tips and tricks next to my PC. I hope it will be full until the model is finished. Since I have followed their construction, my 4-6 and the TS kit have been at the top of the stack. Many years ago I built it with the PP and brake set. Built you can't really see it. Excuse my enthusiasm but it is unique what you can get out of the already great kit's. So, enough to write with, I'm already looking forward to the next entry. The wait is tough. Thank you for sharing and explaining your work with us. Very appreciated.
lg.Martin


Thanks very much for the encouraging words. Often it doesn't seem worth it, but hopefully when the day comes to assemble everything it will seem to be!
dr_gn
Midfield
Midfield
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm
Favorite F1 Team: Jordan

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby dr_gn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:33 pm

senninha wrote:Nothing to add to the previous post, that is outstanding


Thanks - Appreciate your comment!
dr_gn
Midfield
Midfield
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm
Favorite F1 Team: Jordan

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby Inuyasha » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:36 am

dr_gn wrote:
Seema wrote:The best MP4-6 build. I'm with every update. I am always happy when I come to f1m and their contribution is at the top. Simply great how you implement your skills. I have a little black book with all changes, tips, tips and tricks next to my PC. I hope it will be full until the model is finished. Since I have followed their construction, my 4-6 and the TS kit have been at the top of the stack. Many years ago I built it with the PP and brake set. Built you can't really see it. Excuse my enthusiasm but it is unique what you can get out of the already great kit's. So, enough to write with, I'm already looking forward to the next entry. The wait is tough. Thank you for sharing and explaining your work with us. Very appreciated.
lg.Martin


Thanks very much for the encouraging words. Often it doesn't seem worth it, but hopefully when the day comes to assemble everything it will seem to be!



I can only agree, your doing a pretty awesome job on it and i enjoy your updates!
Fully agree that if your working on it and see no real progress, your getting frustrated, but once the point is reached and you see that things are coming together, it will give you a kick in motivation!
Keep it going! :)
Inuyasha
F2
F2
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby dr_gn » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Yep, I'm not too motivated at the moment - it takes a lot of concentration, and it gets too much after a while, especially with no end in sight. I've got loads of other model projects too - at present I'm dividing my time between the MP4/6, a model steam engine I'm machining from castings, and a 1:250 model of the Bismarck, in paper. And of course family commitments...
dr_gn
Midfield
Midfield
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm
Favorite F1 Team: Jordan

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby gp-models » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:34 am

dr_gn wrote:Yep, I'm not too motivated at the moment - it takes a lot of concentration, and it gets too much after a while, especially with no end in sight. I've got loads of other model projects too - at present I'm dividing my time between the MP4/6, a model steam engine I'm machining from castings, and a 1:250 model of the Bismarck, in paper. And of course family commitments...


A Bismarck?? :shock:
Now you got me!! :lol:
Even it is not F1, please come up with a pic of it, no matter if it is in progress, a teaser would be sweet to me! :)
User avatar
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:17 pm
Favorite F1 Team: Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams, Lotus

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Postby dr_gn » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:21 pm

gp-models wrote:
dr_gn wrote:Yep, I'm not too motivated at the moment - it takes a lot of concentration, and it gets too much after a while, especially with no end in sight. I've got loads of other model projects too - at present I'm dividing my time between the MP4/6, a model steam engine I'm machining from castings, and a 1:250 model of the Bismarck, in paper. And of course family commitments...


A Bismarck?? :shock:
Now you got me!! :lol:
Even it is not F1, please come up with a pic of it, no matter if it is in progress, a teaser would be sweet to me! :)


As requested, here's the paper Bismarck I'm building. It's a bit of a beast at nearly a metre long...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

A couple I built previously;

The Mellum:

Image

Image

And Emden:

Image

Image

Image

Image

I've also built a North Sea Trawler <<Wuppertal>>, and a WW2 Corvette "Battleford". They are all made by a company called HMV in Germany - really nice kits. The trawler and Corvette are featured on the website:

https://www.h-m-v.de/en/

The kits come as a pre-printed booklet, that you cut out and glue together:

Image

You can also buy laser-cut card sets for small details like railings:

Image

I always used to think paper models were a bit naff, until I saw some examples at the International Maritime Museum in Hamburg - which were awesome scratch-built models. The museum shop sold HMV kits, so I gave one a go and was really impressed by the design and quality. Very different from a multi-media MP4/6, but it's all good fun, and good experience.
dr_gn
Midfield
Midfield
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm
Favorite F1 Team: Jordan

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests