Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by dr_gn »

Chinamalc wrote:Great work as always!
Did you order a general selection of parts from RB Motion or did you make a list and order the nearest size from what Rob has available?
I have the Top Studio set and some TV stuff, so will be following in your footsteps at some point.
Malc.
Thanks Malc.

Yes, I made a fairly extensive list of components from RB Motion. That was years ago, and I lost the list a long time ago! I'm using the things I remember in the right places, but as get more into it, I'm using other Top Studio bolt heads, washers etc in places I didn't notice needed them.

For example, the throttle actuator mechanism at the back of the intake tray, and the gear selector casing have doznes of details that I missed previously, all of which I'll try to replicate.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

I flatted the casing filler with chopped down sanding sticks & sponges and finished with a fibreglass pencil:

Then masked the suspension mount ready for re-spraying:

Then masked the casing again and re-did the mount:

Pain in the arse, but the casing looks far more like a one-piece casting - especially around the triangular engine mounts, which had a big gap at their ends:

Everything’s been given a coat of Klear ready for a light wash.

ziggysdesk
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Chris
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
United States of America

Post by ziggysdesk »

This is a very nice rebuild. So much attention to detail! I’m working on a 1/20 mp4/6 and I was having a hard time finding reference photos but you covered a lot of things I had questions about with your posts. Thanks and looking forward to more!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

ziggysdesk wrote:This is a very nice rebuild. So much attention to detail! I’m working on a 1/20 mp4/6 and I was having a hard time finding reference photos but you covered a lot of things I had questions about with your posts. Thanks and looking forward to more!
Thanks!

At the moment thare a lots of half finished things in lots of places. One day soon I hope it all comes together and will look good. I've found that there are in fact a lot of things that need adding to the Top Studio set. In fact some things like bolt heads are included - I think as spares - but could be used to further enhance the model if you look at reference photos for long enough.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

A few low-level bits of modelling and some frustrations over the past few days.

The frustration was that the Top Studio detail set instructs you to remove the moulded-in ring on top of the gearbox housing (original Tamiya assembly shown below, modified above):

I did this without thinking too much about it, because I assumed the original Tamiya moulding was incorrect, and that the ring was supposed to be a mounting for the small oil tank, but it was too far forward. I also assumed that the Top Studio replacement oil tank and photo-etch base was meant to fit like this:

...but having lookead at reference photos, the Tamiya moulding is in fact correct:

I think that Top Studio may have made a mistake - the original Tamiya detail should have been retained, and the photo-etch should have been a base with a pair of 'mickey mouse' ears, offset forward, to mate up with the lugs on the original moulding.

Anyway, I'm now stuck with replacing the perfectly good, but removed plastic, with the photo-etch. After confirming that the circular item is a black cover plate on the F1M questions forum, I’ve ended up with this (still needs detailing obviously):

I also added various sized rivets to represent the engine block core and oil gallery plugs:

Also visible are the pipe union nut and stud pins.

Added some more fastener heads to the intake flanges:

Finally, finished detailing the starter gear/gear selector extension for the gearbox:

Ideally I’d have added lock wires to the face plate bolts on that, but couldn’t find anything fine enough.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Re. the lock wires: There aren’t many excuses at 1:12 scale. Having said that, the selector extension is quite a small assembly:

The thinnest wire I had was 0.2 mm stainless. Twisted in a pin vice it looks like this:

Looks about 2x too thick.

If I assume 0.7 mm wire on the real car, that scales to about 0.06 mm. Hair is about 0.03 mm, so too thin (and a nightmare to twist).

I’ve tried twisting a single strand of 0.2, but you can’t see the twists. Lead wire breaks.

I'm sure you can get 0.06 mm wire, but I don't need km's of it. I'll have to have a look in my electrical stores and see if I can unwind some fillament of something or other.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

https://www.ebay.de/itm/0-05mm-720-Ohm- ... 169d2656f1

This might be your solution, 0,05mm wire, 10m long for short to 5 Euro. ;)
Take a stand!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

gp-models wrote:https://www.ebay.de/itm/0-05mm-720-Ohm- ... 169d2656f1

This might be your solution, 0,05mm wire, 10m long for short to 5 Euro. ;)
Thanks for that - I'll investigate.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Found some 0.1mm wire - might even have been in the TS set; I’ve lost track. Anyway, tiny bit too thick but it’ll do:

Now for the rear throttle linkages/potentiometers:

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Started by removing all the moulded-in fasteners, and removing the clunky plastic linkages and replacing them with resin rod ends and wire. I think the rod-ends are intended for the floor stays, but there are some spares luckily:

I might re-position the upper links on more realistic levers.