Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by F1Modlz »

dr_gn wrote:
vontrips wrote:LOL, I've just bought the Airfix 1/24 P-51 just to see what a dog it is...actually, it's too bad on first glance! Big fan of the Blue Nose Bastards, so thinking of doing Rose Marie or This Is It, but can't make my mind up! I wish I could find Preddy decals in 1/24th! Also tempted to do a scratch conversion to Precious Metal, as I'm not a military bod...too much choice and not enough Griffin reference!
The 1:32 Tamiya P-51 is the one to have I reckon. Mine is only 1:72, the Academy kit of Bud Anderson's "Old Crow". I wanted to know a couple of details about it, so I found an "Old Crow" website and wrote to the webmaster. A few hours later I got an e-mail answering all my questions from Col. Bud Anderson himself, the pilot of the real aircraft during WW2. That was...a surprise, to say the least! I think he's 94 years old now.

Wow.that's cule
Didn't trumpeter do a decent version of the p-51 in 1/24 or 1/32?

I love planes. Duxford had me snapping about all weekend back in 2008... Some awsome restoration pieces In the hangers.

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

F1Modlz wrote:
dr_gn wrote:
vontrips wrote:LOL, I've just bought the Airfix 1/24 P-51 just to see what a dog it is...actually, it's too bad on first glance! Big fan of the Blue Nose Bastards, so thinking of doing Rose Marie or This Is It, but can't make my mind up! I wish I could find Preddy decals in 1/24th! Also tempted to do a scratch conversion to Precious Metal, as I'm not a military bod...too much choice and not enough Griffin reference!
The 1:32 Tamiya P-51 is the one to have I reckon. Mine is only 1:72, the Academy kit of Bud Anderson's "Old Crow". I wanted to know a couple of details about it, so I found an "Old Crow" website and wrote to the webmaster. A few hours later I got an e-mail answering all my questions from Col. Bud Anderson himself, the pilot of the real aircraft during WW2. That was...a surprise, to say the least! I think he's 94 years old now.

Wow.that's cule
Didn't trumpeter do a decent version of the p-51 in 1/24 or 1/32?

I love planes. Duxford had me snapping about all weekend back in 2008... Some awsome restoration pieces In the hangers.

Paul
Not sure about Trumpeter, never built one of those.

I love Duxford too, we go every year almost. In fact it's the D-Day anniversary airshow next weekend. We will be there hopefully. The "Flying Legends" show in July is awesome, in fact Col. Anderson is planing on coming over again (he visited last year and they took him up in a 2 seater Mustang). He said he'd sign a book for me and I'm hoping he might sign the base for the model, if I consider it's good enough of course...

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Fantastic. I love that place too. Saw the only real active Lancaster and spitfires/hurricanes fly over... The American hanger is awsome especially that stupidly massive b52 or whatever its called. You could put a helllicopter in the aeroplanes wheel housing lol

Paul

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

I'm not an aircraft expert, but from what I've read the 1/24th Trumpeter kit is not accurately shaped for fuselage and canopy (unlike all their other 1/24th kits). Yes, the Tamiya 1/32 is defo the way to go, but I like the bigger scale and the Airfix version is that model I never built as a kid! :D In contrast, their new 1/24th Typhoon looks amazing.

If you like all things Mustang (and a facebook fan) check out the 'P-51 Mustang Bluenosers 352nd FG' page. Loads of fascinating updates and some of the old WWII aces pop up there too! :wink:

Sorry for off tracking your re-build thread BTW, LOL!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Slightly O/T but watch out in August because, all being well, the Canadian Lancaster is flying to the UK so we will have a once in a lifetime chance to see two Lancasters flying together. Keep an eye on the BBMF website for details.

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

daveyman wrote:Slightly O/T but watch out in August because, all being well, the Canadian Lancaster is flying to the UK so we will have a once in a lifetime chance to see two Lancasters flying together. Keep an eye on the BBMF website for details.
Looking forward to it! I know a man that owns the front fuselage from a Canadian built Lancaster, LOL! :D

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

daveyman wrote:Slightly O/T but watch out in August because, all being well, the Canadian Lancaster is flying to the UK so we will have a once in a lifetime chance to see two Lancasters flying together. Keep an eye on the BBMF website for details.
I wonder if they will land at East Kirby to join Just Jane ? Maybe even taxi around together; that would be a fantastic event.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Cheers for letting us all know matey

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Let's hope they can arrange a double flypast of Derwent dam! I went last year for the dambusters anniversary and it was awesome, even managed to get some pictures:

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

dr_gn wrote:
I wonder if they will land at East Kirby to join Just Jane ? Maybe even taxi around together; that would be a fantastic event.
Don't think there is facility to actually land a Lanc there now. Would have been a nice idea tho. Just Jane is a very interesting expierience to visit and I would highly recommend it.