Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by dr_gn »

Shunter wrote:Always a shame to rip up an old build, i like to see where i have come from. Like others the build looked great with it's flaws. I look forward to seeing how you go with this, love those wheels...
Thanks - I just got fed up of looking at it as a huge compromise. It's got a bit of sentimental value too, so for me the best thing to do was to improve it. Yes it will still be a compromise to a degree, but it will also be a gentle intro to the main course which is a new build with a detailed chassis and no body.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

So here are some references I've got in my office. First off a 1991 or 1992 [ETA Jordan 191 or 192) rear tyre complete with the hand written markings. Ignore the wheel, it's an old F3000 item that I had and decided to use for a table:

Here's '90's F1 tyre valve cap. I blagged loads of these from GoodYear at various F1 test sessions back in the day. All my cars and bikes, and friends cars and bikes had them at one point!

These are some carbon brake rotors from - I think - a Stewart. Not sure of the year, but the colour and grain will be similar to earlier versions. My original 1:12 rotors are in the middle:

Last edited by dr_gn on Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Drilled out the brake rotors tonight to suit the new spindles. I deviated a bit from the TV instructions and used a 3.3mm drill rather than a clearance hole, in order to give a bit more support:

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

I wasn't convinced that my usual brake fluid paint stripping method would work so well on 15 year old paint, so I tried it on some of the smaller body/wing parts:

Needn't have worried, it worked beautifully; the paint just fell off after 24 hours of immersion. They are now drying after a thorough toothbrushing with hot detergent, and only require a few small areas of solid paint to be scraped away. I've now put the nose cone and radiators in the bath.

I couldn't prise open the front wing halves, so I'll use Modelstrip on that assembly. The last thing I want is to get brake fluid trapped inside only to seep out after repainting. There is no disadvantage to leaving them as a unit anyway. I'll also use Modelstrip on the main body becasue it's too big to immerse in fluid.

An F1M forum member supplied me with some spare decals, which is a big step on the way to me completing this rebuild:

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Is that an industrial lathe? The chuck is massive

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

F1Modlz wrote:Is that an industrial lathe? The chuck is massive

Paul
How dare you! :lol:

It's my trusty 1957 Myford ML7:

The chuck looks massive becasue it's a small part in there :D

I've got some collets and a tiny chuck for smaller parts but the 3-jaw was the only one that I could get the rotors in. At the end of the day a few tens of microns runout won't make any difference to a clearance fit on some TVF1 axles.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

dr_gn wrote:...An F1M forum member supplied me with some spare decals, which is a big step on the way to me completing this rebuild...
the cigarette decals seems to have their backings yellowed, which will show on your build...
PM me your address, i'll send you a set of new F1 specialties ciggie fill ins for free

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Jesus that thing is huge.... Only comparing to a mini proxxon mind you lol. That workshop looks awsome. Is that at work or home?

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

bestbalsakits wrote:
dr_gn wrote:...An F1M forum member supplied me with some spare decals, which is a big step on the way to me completing this rebuild...
the cigarette decals seems to have their backings yellowed, which will show on your build...
PM me your address, i'll send you a set of new F1 specialties ciggie fill ins for free

Wim
Yes, they are a bit yellow, but I do have another set I bought a couple of years ago that I found in my spares box. They are Tabu Design TABU12012B specifically for the Tamiya MP4/6, and contain black, white text, and orange logos of various sizes. I guess it should be all I need?

It's an incredibly kind offer though and I appreciate it very much. Thank you. I have looked at your impressive website a few times and will undoubtedly become a customer in the near future!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

F1Modlz wrote:Jesus that thing is huge....
I've had no complaints...
F1Modlz wrote: Only comparing to a mini proxxon mind you lol. That workshop looks awsome. Is that at work or home?

Paul
It's at home. Work is on a totally differnet level 8)