Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by F1Modlz »

Looks great. U going to remove those mould marks on the underside?

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

F1Modlz wrote:Looks great. U going to remove those mould marks on the underside?

Paul
Cheers!

I wasn't going to, no, but I suppose it wouldn't take five minutes. Since this one is going to be displayed with the body on, I'm just aiming to return it to a similar state to before it was stripped on the inside. Of course when I add the brake lines and antenna & rear light wires etc., I'll make sure the ends terminate approprately, but apart from that I wont be touching it. The underside and edges of the undertray will also get the full treatment, but they don't need stripping becasue...and I'm almost ashamed to say it...I think along with all the other black bits I just gave the black plastic a light coat of satin varnish when I built it. That strategy is now paying dividends however becasue there is virtually no paint thickness to have to remove.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Don't sand away the tear drop shape yet. Get yourself onto eBay and buy some Oyumaru modelling compound sticks. All you do is heat up the sticks in boiling water, kneed them into a ball and then press them against the teardrop shape. Allow it to cool and remove and you will have an instant mould. Simply fill it with casting resin to make as many teardrop shapes as you want. Works brilliantly.
Last edited by SteveNoble on Wed May 14, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Noble

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

dr_gn wrote:
F1Modlz wrote:Looks great. U going to remove those mould marks on the underside?

Paul
Cheers!

I wasn't going to, no, but I suppose it wouldn't take five minutes. Since this one is going to be displayed with the body on, I'm just aiming to return it to a similar state to before it was stripped on the inside. Of course when I add the brake lines and antenna & rear light wires etc., I'll make sure the ends terminate approprately, but apart from that I wont be touching it. The underside and edges of the undertray will also get the full treatment, but they don't need stripping becasue...and I'm almost ashamed to say it...I think along with all the other black bits I just gave the black plastic a light coat of satin varnish when I built it. That strategy is now paying dividends however becasue there is virtually no paint thickness to have to remove.
Seeing you do this is.inspiring me to do mine. I keep getting it out to have a look lol. Keep it going matey can't wait to see the end result..

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

SteveNoble wrote:Don't sand away the tear drop shape yet. Get yourself onto eBay and buy some Oyumaru modelling compound sticks. All you do is heat up the sticks in boiling water, kneed them into a ball and then press them against the teardrop shape. Allow it to cool and remove and you will have an instant mould. Simply fill it with casting resin to make as many teardrop shares as you want. Works brilliantly.
Now there's an idea. And I just happen to have a resin casting kit in the garage-mahal. It would be a great time to test it.

Thanks!

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

dr_gn wrote:
vontrips wrote: The project's looking good already! I was also going to chime in about the ciggy logo decals. The logo font is correct, but needs to be very slightly bolder...bare this in mind when sourcing your alternative decals! :D
Thanks!

This may sound strange, but I actually like the "McLaren" decals, after all it's in this livery that I saw the cars race in July '91 at Silverstone.

However, in the GoodYear tyre tests in June '91 (which I also attended) they ran in full M@r!b*r* livery becasue of course it wasn't televised.

I'm thinking of putting the Marboro decals on the 'bare chassis' version, to break up the black a bit, and retain the McLaren decals for the 'kerbside' version. Both are correct AFAIC.
I concur, the McLaren logos do look good...thinking about using them when I build mine now! :D

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

F1Modlz wrote:
dr_gn wrote:

Paul
Cheers!

Seeing you do this is.inspiring me to do mine. I keep getting it out to have a look lol. Keep it going matey can't wait to see the end result..

Paul
Always one more model to build!

I'm building a P-51 Mustang aircraft as well at the moment. Nice to have a contrast. I bet the Mustang will be finished first!

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

LOL, I've just bought the Airfix 1/24 P-51 just to see what a dog it is...actually, it's too bad on first glance! Big fan of the Blue Nose Bastards, so thinking of doing Rose Marie or This Is It, but can't make my mind up! I wish I could find Preddy decals in 1/24th! Also tempted to do a scratch conversion to Precious Metal, as I'm not a military bod...too much choice and not enough Griffin reference!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

vontrips wrote:LOL, I've just bought the Airfix 1/24 P-51 just to see what a dog it is...actually, it's too bad on first glance! Big fan of the Blue Nose Bastards, so thinking of doing Rose Marie or This Is It, but can't make my mind up! I wish I could find Preddy decals in 1/24th! Also tempted to do a scratch conversion to Precious Metal, as I'm not a military bod...too much choice and not enough Griffin reference!
The 1:32 Tamiya P-51 is the one to have I reckon. Mine is only 1:72, the Academy kit of Bud Anderson's "Old Crow". I wanted to know a couple of details about it, so I found an "Old Crow" website and wrote to the webmaster. A few hours later I got an e-mail answering all my questions from Col. Bud Anderson himself, the pilot of the real aircraft during WW2. That was...a surprise, to say the least! I think he's 94 years old now.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Another incredibly exciting update; the wheel rims are drilled for tyre valves! Wohoo:

The body is almost completely stripped now, and looks to be in pretty good condition all things considered. Suffice to say there are some stubborn patches of paint that only a combination of stripping products and scraping will remove. Luckily these are mainly confined to the underside.