Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by F1Modlz »

I gather you work in the steel Industry. My mate works with cnc machines and wish I could get him to bring one for me lol. The things this hobby drives you too.

Paul

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

F1Modlz wrote:Jesus that thing is huge.

Paul
That's what she said!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

F1Modlz wrote:I gather you work in the steel Industry. My mate works with cnc machines and wish I could get him to bring one for me lol. The things this hobby drives you too.

Paul
I used to work at Forgemasters for about 10 years designing large castings for the offshore oil industry, but now I work here:

http://www.amrc.co.uk/about/facilities/

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Sounds good, think we are only up the road from forgemasters. Never been but we have a few guys come in from that industry

Paul

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

The nose and radiators are now stripped. The nose looks like brand new, even retaining its original gloss finish. The radiators don't look much different, but then again they are silver plastic underneath the silver paint.

Like a plasterer's radio: The body and front wing were coated in Modelstrip. It needed thinning with water, but went on OK:

It's now in the airing cupboard in a plastic bag to delay the stuff drying out (Modelstrip is pretty ineffective when dry). Even after 1 hour I can see unspeakable chemical warfare type things happening in there:

If that doesn't work, I'll buy a load of cheap brake fluid and shove it all in a bucket for a couple of days.

In an almost unprecidented stroke of luck, I seem to have found all the paint I need to refinish the body. Something is bound to go wrong...I think the Flourescent Red might even be spare from the first time around:

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

dr_gn wrote:
bestbalsakits wrote:
dr_gn wrote:...An F1M forum member supplied me with some spare decals, which is a big step on the way to me completing this rebuild...
the cigarette decals seems to have their backings yellowed, which will show on your build...
PM me your address, i'll send you a set of new F1 specialties ciggie fill ins for free

Wim
Yes, they are a bit yellow, but I do have another set I bought a couple of years ago that I found in my spares box. They are Tabu Design TABU12012B specifically for the Tamiya MP4/6, and contain black, white text, and orange logos of various sizes. I guess it should be all I need?

It's an incredibly kind offer though and I appreciate it very much. Thank you. I have looked at your impressive website a few times and will undoubtedly become a customer in the near future!
The project's looking good already! I was also going to chime in about the ciggy logo decals. The logo font is correct, but needs to be very slightly bolder...bare this in mind when sourcing your alternative decals! :D

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

dr_gn wrote: If that doesn't work, I'll buy a load of cheap brake fluid and shove it all in a bucket for a couple of days.
I've just had some recent PM correspondence with Paul OFarrell here on F1M and he mentioned his bad experiences with brake fluid when it turned some of his plastic into a soft rubbery state (like a rubber glove he reckoned!) after being soaked over night in a jar of brake fluid. Brake fluid has always been my go to stripper for getting pesky urethane sub coatings off chrome plated parts, so I'll certainly be treating brake fluid with a dash of suspicion and a lot more care in the future knowing this.

Wishing you all the best with the stripping.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

vontrips wrote: The project's looking good already! I was also going to chime in about the ciggy logo decals. The logo font is correct, but needs to be very slightly bolder...bare this in mind when sourcing your alternative decals! :D
Thanks!

This may sound strange, but I actually like the "McLaren" decals, after all it's in this livery that I saw the cars race in July '91 at Silverstone.

However, in the GoodYear tyre tests in June '91 (which I also attended) they ran in full M@r!b*r* livery becasue of course it wasn't televised.

I'm thinking of putting the Marboro decals on the 'bare chassis' version, to break up the black a bit, and retain the McLaren decals for the 'kerbside' version. Both are correct AFAIC.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Terry wrote:
dr_gn wrote: If that doesn't work, I'll buy a load of cheap brake fluid and shove it all in a bucket for a couple of days.
I've just had some recent PM correspondence with Paul OFarrell here on F1M and he mentioned his bad experiences with brake fluid when it turned some of his plastic into a soft rubbery state (like a rubber glove he reckoned!) after being soaked over night in a jar of brake fluid. Brake fluid has always been my go to stripper for getting pesky urethane sub coatings off chrome plated parts, so I'll certainly be treating brake fluid with a dash of suspicion and a lot more care in the future knowing this.

Wishing you all the best with the stripping.
Thanks very much!

I've never had any problem with brake fluid attacking plastic. I'm pretty sure it must have been silicone based or maybe mineral oil? There are different types of brake/hydraulic fluid out there, and since some brake cylinder internals are various types of plastic, it does seem strange.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Husker wrote:
F1Modlz wrote:Jesus that thing is huge.

Paul
That's what she said!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

U dirty sod lol