Fujimi 1/20 Ferrari 248 F1

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Re: Fujimi 1/20 Ferrari 248 F1

Post by vanhookvintage »

Still following. Nice modification and, yeah, great prep work. :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

jgracing9 wrote:gotta wonder what fujimi was thinking when they came up with this kit. that has to be the strangest way to put together a modern f1 car ever.
I really don't get the design of this kit at all. It really doesn't make sense. At least they sorted things out for the F2007 (also in my stash). Interestingly, there is a component shared by the 248 and F2007 models (the bit the bottoms of the bargeboards connect to) that is warped in both my kits.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I have done quite a "surgery" on my kit. But I ended up not using bottom part of monocoque insert at all.

http://www.f1m.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10753

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Great prep. work, I'm glad you decided to post a WIP for us all to enjoy. Your work on the body is quite impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing it with some red paint. Oughtta look stunning.
Cheers,
Chris

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Martocticvs wrote:I wasn't originally going to bother with running a WIP thread for this (partly as I'm rubbish at updating them), but I changed my mind the other day, and decided to take some photos of it before I move to the priming stage.
Good on you for throwing caution to the wind and just posting what you want. There is no ideal for a WIP to my knowledge, and nor can there be, otherwise no one would post a thing. Love some of the shots of your prep work. Some lovely curvature in that Ferrari body.

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

Also got the red onto this beast. Zero fluo rosso. Pretty bright! Looks good on the car, although I prefer the red they used in the 80s. I did quite like the candy red they used in 07 & 08 though. No clear on this yet, that hopefully is a job for Friday.

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

Hi guys! I've not been here for a looong time now... but with everything going on at the moment, I decided the time was right to pull this still unfinished model out of it's box and get it done at long last!

There have been a couple of house moves since the last update, but fortunately I managed to complete the bodywork, decaling, clearing etc before that. So in the last few weeks I've been tinkering with parts, adding more CF decals where needed (not finished that yet), and generally getting ready for final assembly... So here's what she looks like right now!

http://www.prdobson.com/junk/248f1/248f1_11.jpg

http://www.prdobson.com/junk/248f1/248f1_12.jpg

http://www.prdobson.com/junk/248f1/248f1_13.jpg

That strange looking piece that forms the base of the bargeboards was quite distorted - still is a bit, unfortunately. Not sure yet how that's going to affect the bargeboards, but hopefully it won't look too bad in the end.

Not every part is shown here - one or two are still on the sprues somewhere. Also not yet 100% that I can put it all together successfully, but I'll find that out soon enough!

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello,

All the detail of the 248 seems to be well done by Fujimi and work looks perfect.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

So this did not turn out to be a good lockdown project for me! Barely made any progress. Trying to get it finished off now though. Things have not always gone to plan, however!

First up, after a few attempts at test fitting things, I realised that I wasn't going to be able to attached the exhaust piece as I'd been thinking. So I needed to cut it in half along the real-world join line:

When I fitted this into the engine cover, some slight distortions in the engine cover caused the little connection between the carbon wing and the spine to break as it could no longer line up! Certainly wishing I'd done this bit in brass now. However, this was relatively easy to repair with some Araldite.

I forgot to photorgraph it, but I was able to fit the engine block and airbox to the floor and still get the body shell over the top. It was necessary to remove the small winglet that sits under the crash structure to do this though. Easily added back in later. Obviously the fake inner monocoque is also now in place, with the seat fitted.

Fast forward to eventually attaching the body to the floor... and more shape issues have caused the wing and its connector to move even further out of alignment and crack quite badly. Once the glue has set I'll see if I can repeat the previous repair. I doubt it though; will just have to accept that one.

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Wow, that looks really nice! Your clamps are impressive. Glad to see you're almost finished this one.