Alfa 179c protar 1/12

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Alfa 179c protar 1/12

Post by F1FANRH »

Yes another Protar is posted, I do not agree with the wording of poor kit, challenging is a better way to describe a Protar kit, they are not for everyone, but if you are not daunted by them, a very rewarding build awaits you.
Outstanding job on this Alfa 179C. I have 2 under construction and one just needs to think it out and enjoy all the little gimmicks that have been engineered into a Protar kit. Thanks for posting this.
Rick 8)
I feel the need, the need for speed.........

Terry
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chris Amon
New Zealand

Post by Terry »

Spiry,

Your Alfa is looking very gorgeous. However don't believe a word Rick says above about his Protar builds... rumour has it the Protar kits he is building are groundbait to keep his dog from eating his Tamiya Brabham! :wink: :mrgreen:

F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Terry wrote:Spiry,

Your Alfa is looking very gorgeous. However don't believe a word Rick says above about his Protar builds... rumour has it the Protar kits he is building are groundbait to keep his dog from eating his Tamiya Brabham! :wink: :mrgreen:
:lol: You got me................thought I had covered all the bases and you let the pig out of the poke! :lol:
I feel the need, the need for speed.........

15badcats
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by 15badcats »

Awesome job on the Alfa Looks great!

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Spiry,

Thanks for this WIP, I'll be watching closely. Nice work so far, hope it all goes well.

I read a comment a while ago about this kit being quite soft in terms of expected detail - it was as if Protar upscaled a 1:32 kit into 1:12 without adding much in terms of extra detail that one could expect to find in a 1:12 kit. I know the seatbelts are missing, but is there anything else which should be mentioned?

I'm not even going to mention Protar tyres either... :roll:

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

Topic author
Spiry
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Spiry »

The kits Protar Ferrari 126C2, Alfa 179 and McLaren MP 4/2 are totally different, such as the design and the final result, compared to the first kit products.

The reason is that at that time, the chief designer of Tamiya, Mr. Okabi, he decided to come to live in Italy and, after several mistrust of Tarquinio_Provini, who thought he was a spy for the Japanese giant modeling, was hired by Protar where he remained for 10 years!

And the style of Okabi has improved a lot kits, parts that fit together, pieces played in groups only to give stability and strength to the finished models and many other details that make these kits very close to Japanese standards.

The only drawback, which is because of the trouble that I have found on the body, is, unfortunately, the quality of the plastic used: too bad!!!

Small note: Protar was an example of how a small Italian company has been able to churn out beautiful handmade products, such as MG or Matilde, now unfortunately between the economic crisis and a political system failed and incapable, we are losing everything.... and it is sad.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Looking very good indeed! yes Protar kits are challenging, but there are some beautiful models in the series.

I have this kit as well, but the bodywork is thankfully in white styrene! I have lost track of where I have bought most of my kits, but this one is very clear in my mind. It was bought in Francorchamps very close to the Spa F1 track, in the little shop that was a combined Hobby shop and daily products called Lavall in 1995. Ahh those were the days :-)

Flemming

Villeneuve
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Villeneuve »

Excellent build. The paint job is terrific and overall a very clean build. Glad to see someone is posting a Protar 1:12 WIP.

I love the Protar kits. The only problem I have with them is the inaccuracies. I have built a Ferrari 312T3 and 126C2 they are now both about 17 years old and have had no problems with tires or wheels or any other plastic issues. I remember the T3 had terrible decals that needed to be replaced. Protar had sent them to me free of charge. However the C2 has so many inaccuracies, its a shame. But many of them can be fixed with a little scratch building. Never the less I am still hoping for a very accurate C2 (Belgium) version from MFH.
YNWA,
Markus

Gilles and Ferrari will always be synonymous. The others just drive for Ferrari but Gilles IS Ferrari

The Ferrari 126C2 Spotter's Guide
http://bit.ly/1oxy29H

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Good Work! Keep 'Em comin' :) .

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Villeneuve wrote:Never the less I am still hoping for a very accurate C2 (Belgium) version from MFH.
+1
Br
Allan
Br
Allan