3x Lotus 102 Variants

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
sh-modeling
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

3x Lotus 102 Variants

Post by sh-modeling »

Wife is away for three weeks taking a cure with the two girls - so I have plenty of room in my house for building models :D

This time three variants of the Lotus 102, the 1990 Chrysler Lamborghini 102, the 1991 Type 102B with Judd power and the Type 102D Ford early season 1992.

Unfortunately I could not resist and tried several modifications. Only 102D will remain in original spec (more or less)...
The 102B will be the long sidepod car. Decals will be made partially with ALPS (tend to Japan GP version):

Mod list for the 1990 Type 102 is a bit longer:
- different node + front wing
- "hump" in front of cockpit
- gearbox is almost the same according to my data (Lotus/Lamborghini), but upper rear suspension pickup points must be moved backwards
- drivetrain must be shorter than 102B, maybe there's only a spacer between engine and gearbox on the 102B
- the monocoque of the 102 seems to be shorter behind the cockpit (about 3mm in 1/20 scale) because of the longer engine
- diffusor needs to be heavily modified, best option seems to be adapting the diffusor of the Tamiya McLaren MP4/5B
- engine cover very different etc.

AFAIK there is no variante of the 1989-92 Chrysler-Lamborghini engine in 1/20, so I created my own, this time using CAD and 3D printing.
I tried two 3D Printing services, but shapeways from Belgium (of Holland?) delivered the best result in it's FUD process...

I started the engine cover mods:

Also modified the gearbox/transmission:

Dry fitted the 3D printed exhausts:

Engine and air intake in current state:

So I hope to get the Camel yellow and British Racing Green on the cars next week :-)
Best wishes,
Steffen

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 3x Lotus 102 Variants

Post by drledford93 »

Wow! Interested in selling copies of the Lamborghini engine? I'm at a stopping point with my 102 and I'd love to do a full detail version. Interested? :)

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Same question from me. I would also be interested in a resin version / 3D print of the Lambo engine / gearbox / exhausts because I've got this project in my future build stack also. This is excellent work Steffen...

Cheers,
AJ

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

AJP01 wrote:Same question from me. I would also be interested in a resin version / 3D print of the Lambo engine / gearbox / exhausts because I've got this project in my future build stack also. This is excellent work Steffen...

Cheers,
AJ
Shouldn't be too hard for him to do since he used Shapways. It is only a matter of if he "Wants" to make the engine available to others. He could offer it I assume the same way Michael at Indycals is selling his 3D printed parts by way of a Shapways store.

Nice work so far. I've been waiting for someone to tackle these conversions. This will be great reference from the Lotus master.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

mhbaumer
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by mhbaumer »

Fantastic job!
My lambo is curbside!
Very impressive!!!

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

Hey!
Nice to see you back on the 102! :-)
And even better to see you doing the other cars as well. I am looking forward to see more.

dlphnfn
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Walter Wolf Racing
United States of America

Post by dlphnfn »

Wow! Fantastic start! I'm jealous of your time you have, but I think I'd miss my girlies after three weeks! :)
Erick --

Topic author
sh-modeling
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by sh-modeling »

Some pics of the 3D printed engine parts:

Engine block is from Sculpteo in France (high detail black resin), cam covers + exhausts are from Shapeways (FUD).
The fit of the exhaust pipes to the engine block is very much better than anything I have seen from Tamiya :-)

Shapeways needs a bit clean up, but is generally better detailed than Sculpteos high detail resin...

The gearbox is a modified Tamiya part btw.
Best wishes,
Steffen

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Wow. I know if I ran into a problem like lack of a suitable engine then it would be that project on the shelf! I really admire you guys who can just get on and create your way around the problem. I'm another one with the lambo engined car to make but I reckon mine will be curbside. Really looking forward to seeing these builds come together.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

This will be fun to watch, a very ambitious project with three cars at once. Do you think you will finish them in this time frame? Loving what you have done so far.