WIP - Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 Tamiya 1/24

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

WIP - Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 Tamiya 1/24

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Hello All,
Despite my lack of posts lately, I have been working on a new project. After completing the Purple Cow RB5, I turned my attention to my other favorite, WRC. I've always been a fan of the Tamiya 1/24 WRC kits, but it's been while since I built one. Being a big Subaru fan, driving my WRX daily, I couldn't resist to build another Subaru Impreza WRC, specifically the 2001 version, in which Richard Burns won the WRC championship. I will add cf decals (S27 this time), wiring/plumbing, nuts/bolts, tie-wraps and a SMS p.e. detail set.

Rather than start at the beginning, I figured we jump in the middle of the build, so here I am.
The chassis is complete, save for the skid-plates, which will be assembled after the body is assembled. Brake disk faces are from SMS set. The exhaust and engine have been given a bit of heat-staining.
Chassis 1.JPG
Chassis Front.JPG
Front Brakes.JPG
Rear Brakes.JPG
The cockpit is all but finished. The seat-belts need to have their final attachment after the helmets are finished and put in their respective holders.
Cockpit 2.JPG
Dash and console had all the molded-in buttons and switches removed and replaced with Hobby design parts.
Dash Complete.JPG
Body has been painted and in process of polishing, then on to the decals.
So, that's where I am. Comments, questions recommendations are always welcome.
Cheers,
Chris

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Re: WIP - Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 Tamiya 1/24

Post by badun »

Looks great! One of my favorite street and WRC cars and I am (or was, sadly) a big Richard Burns fan.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Chris,
Good to see a "Scoobe" being built and I,m with you on the dash I do the same to all my models.I've never built a rally car but you've got me thinking now!, of to a show next weekend so guess what's on the shopping list!
Atb,Alexp.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

That look great, look forward to seeing the body.

PanAmNut
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by PanAmNut »

Very nice !

Cheers,

-elh-

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
I've made a little big of progress on the Subaru Imprezza WRC.
The Interior and chassis are now completely finished. The seat-belts have been attached to their mounting points on the roll cage, the door panels cf decalled and attached and the dash installed. I added braided hose and fittings to connect the rear shocks to their separate reservoirs, as per the actual vehicle. I also added the helmets for Burns and Reid, a very cool feature Tamiya added to their later kits.
Interior Complete 1.JPG
Interior Complete 3.JPG
Interior Complete 5.JPG
Interior Complete 6.JPG
Body has been painted,clear-coated and polished. I used Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue, TS-13 Clear and polishing compounds. These WRC kits are tough to polish with all their nooks and crannies, had to use a few cotton buds to get the tight places. There's a lot of opportunity to polish through the paint into the primer along the edges, requiring some slight touch-ups :oops: . Window seals were masked then painted SGB.
Body Painted 1.JPG
Body Painted 2.JPG
Body Painted 3.JPG
Next up are the body decals, wheels and tires, then get it all together.

Unfortunately my real-life Subaru WRX got into a tangle with a plastic deck chair that jumped into the middle of the road today. Being hit at 70mph, the chair disintegrated, taking quite a few pieces of the front of my beloved Subaru with it :cry: .

Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Still making progress on the Subaru, slowly as usual :wink: .
I got the body all painted, polished and decals applied. I had a lot of trouble getting the yellow stripes over the rear fenders, had to do quite of repair where they wouldn't lay down in some of the transitions, but looks OK in the end.

The cooling module (radiator, intercooler) was given the p.e. treatment, and the STi logo was spray-painted with a p.e. template from Acu-Stion. Head-light modules were covered with cf decal from GSR (Good Smile). They are pretty thick, and take a lot of solutioin and heat to lay down, but the pattern and colors are very cool and perfect for the head-lights.
Body Complete 1.JPG
Body Complete 2.JPG
Body Complete 4.JPG
Wheels and tires are complete. Wheels come pre-painted in gold. The finish is pretty good, so I kept them as delivered, and painted the lug nuts, applied decals and gave them a light wash. Tires were given a light scrubbing on a rotary tool to give a more realistic look.
Wheels Complete 4.JPG
Been working on getting all the fasteners in place also. Skid-plates have MFH flange-rivets, but are a little bright, so they'll be toned down with a subtle wash.
Skid Plates Complete 2.JPG
That's where we stand. Next is to get it all together and start getting all the little details installed. Getting close to the end now :D .
Cheers,
Chris

dlphnfn
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Walter Wolf Racing
United States of America

Post by dlphnfn »

Lovin' it! Great build! Nice and clean!
Erick --

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Great stuff Chris, I really must build a rally car some day, I said that about sports cars a few years back and look where that,s led!!!
Atb,Alexp.

Topic author
CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Hello All,
Well, the Subaru is finished :D . I'm pretty happy with the final outcome. Not without it's pitfalls, but they were pretty mild compared with some other kits I've built recently. Here it is,
Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 14.JPG
Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 16.JPG
and you can see the complete pictures here: http://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15466

Cheers,
Chris