Tamiya 1/20 Mclaren MP4/13 WIP - COMPLETED

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Tamiya 1/20 Mclaren MP4/13 WIP - COMPLETED

Post by 11110111 »

Hey, thought i'd get some pics of the current WIP, mp4/13 you've seen it all before and this is my attempt, got the usual goodies minus the sms tire warmers BUT i did manage to get Mika & David to sign the carbon fibre (effect) base of a 1/12 base unit to display this work of art :)

ok, so where we are up to now... started building the standard uk model with the west decals kit. Was working on the monocoque, all was going well until I picked up the can of gunmetal instead of clear :cry: tried this and that and finally resigned myself to having to start again.

realised i needed another set of the West decals so thought I would treat myself to the Jap version. Got the kit, thought to myself - ACE! then saw the decals and the red colour has blead and so look rubbish and had to buy another decal set

so we are back to the monocoque, nothing major here, fitted the two halves before painting, taking out a chunk of the bottom so i can fit the seat in after. CF'd most of the tunnel down to the bulkhead (think i left out the top of the tunnel though) i fitted the PE bulkhead before painting - so I could smooth the join. I did rush the filler stage a bit though as I was still p'd off about picking up the wrong rattle can - you live and learn!

I've left out the circular panel on the top of the monocoque and CF'd the parts that show inside, it makes the part look thinner, like wise around where the cockpit is, pics should explain better than the rubbish I am capable of writing. Have been looking at a lot of mag's & pics (most of which come from people on this website, no naming names, you know who you are, I wont forget you :wink: )

and now for the pics :D

collection of goodies (more to come though!)

CF around the cockpit area, makes this part look sharper (even though my camera skills do the opposite

more CF - PITA

rush job (still p'd off) CF on the back of the monocoque, suprised this isnt in the SMS decal set

minor details from the F1 Modeling Mag

also, following on from another one of my popular posts I am going to create the pedal set as no kit seems to have these in. Still quite a bit of work to do on the monocoque till I start messing with the cans again! As its round two, I've paying alot more attention to detail so this should look awesome!
Last edited by 11110111 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pradley

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Re: Tamiya 1/20 Mclaren MP4/13 WIP

Post by Dede »

Ouch!! I feel your pain, I can safely say ur not the 1st to pick up the wrong colour and not going to be the last either... Hope it goes smooooth from here. Nice collection of goodie too, should make a nice model..
Dede.

Topic author
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 11110111 »

some more pics!

a pic thats shows the CF work a bit more. no bad against SMS but I wasnt a big fan of the cf pattern on the template set, the weave seemed a bit too bright so bought some other SMS CF and used that instead.

the top of the bulkead, the decal is taking ages to take form over the PE part. I should have given it a coat in primer, again though was still p'd off having to do it all again so rushed bits here and there

- Pradley

Topic author
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 11110111 »

OK, so i thought the chassis tub was done but keep finding little details to add here and there. Think I will wait for the summer before I go crazy with the clear coats and use that time to improve bits

some pics of what ive been doing...

front bulkhead, looks a little messy but should look good with the rest of hte parts added

Lots of reference material...

not perfect:

looks a bit like an panda face if you see the washer as a nostril, the strut mount as a face and the other as eyes :)

dust everywhere arahghggh

back of tub

which way?

in the mean time I am also figuring out how to make the pedals of which there is little ref material. Will see what I can do.

ciao
- Pradley

greenhill
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Ian Greenhill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren, Prost
Great Britain

Post by greenhill »

A good one for me to follow as I'm doing one too. Did you use the white kit decals over the silver paint? I'm about to apply mine and wandered as yours looks cool.

Topic author
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 11110111 »

hello buddy, yeah i did though if I were you I would probably try and see if you can get another decal set off tamiya as its tough to get right, I found the black decals going down the side of the tub very dificult to line up so ended up having to cut up another set just so it looked good. Maybe i'm just rubbish though. Another tough part is around the nose area with the various colour decals you need to use. lots of decal solution is key here.

Regarding the build, i'd build the tub glued together before painting. I just opened up the bottom so that I can fit in the seat once painted. This will avoid any nasty join line on the outside.

on another note - I started another thread looking for some reference pictures, to which a zip file full of awesomeness was posted, i'd advise you to download as there are a ton of things you can add detail to :)
- Pradley

greenhill
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Ian Greenhill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren, Prost
Great Britain

Post by greenhill »

Thanks for the heads up!

ubik801
Midfield
Midfield

Post by ubik801 »

it's coming right along. good work.

don
don sprague
ubik801

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

I did the same glued the tub together first.
Your build is looking good

Topic author
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 11110111 »

OK so an update to what I have been getting up to recently.

I have my third attempt at the seat. First attempt I used clear gloss but didn't like the finish very much. Second attempt I got annoyed with the molded in switches and then for the third attempt I removed all the switch gear molded in as:

a - they are rubbish
b - they are inaccurate *
c - the recessed buttons are difficult to get looking good
*especially on the left hand side of the seat where this random button sticks out about 4mm. I have some turned parts on order and will use these :)

I will replace the recessed parts I have taken out with buttons on a piece of CF covered brass. I think it will look better than trying to paint the parts in the recess. I am also still to add the Casio F-91W watch photo etch part that can be seen in the cockpit in some photos.

Surprisingly, neither the Tamiya decals or detail set I bought cover the leg belts and so I have created some that go forward from the hole in the drivers seat, tucked under the front of the plastic seat part. Also, instead of using a clear coat on the CF, I simply waxed using the Tamiya stuff, much more life like I think

enough jibba jabba, here are some pics of my work:

p.s. please excuse the brightness on some of the photos, I was simply trying to get the detail to show...

comments welcome :)
- Pradley