MP4/20 - FINISHED!!!

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

MP4/20 - FINISHED!!!

Post by BigDuke6 »

2020 Edit: Looks like the original photos are all dead links, thanks for the messages!

Here's a link to all the WIP and completed photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Finished photos:

Some WIP in random order, the rest in the Google Drive link above.

If there are any other threads with WIP or finished kits and the images are missing, just PM me.

Cheers,
-Mark
----------------------------------------
Thanks to Mtrspeed for selling me this kit!

I'm new to this S27 thing & what has struck me on this kit is the poor fit of the suspension. I checked & triple checked my test fits because usually its my poor building rather than the kit, but this time I'm 99% sure it's the kit.. specifically the front & rear lower wishbones & front push rods. Styrene sheet to the rescue here. Rear track rod has also been given a size increase.

Another strange thing on this kit is the floor.. it's completely flat - so deciding where to drill screw holes was a challenge. After lining up the nose section, I found that the rear diffuser wouldn't fit. I used the barge boards as a guide & remove a small part of the rear floor to fit the diffuser. The excess gaps were plugged with styrene.

Tyres have been replaced with FW24 "Michelins" which look more realistic. The S27 tyres look more like Bridgestones due to their curved side walls. The MP4/20 races in the only year with no [mandatory] tyre stops, so these should look good.

Pics are of suspension pieces, tyres & suspension test fit. I'm trying hard to get this fit perfect before I apply primer.. looking for a big improvement in build quality over the Lotus suspension-gate =)
Last edited by BigDuke6 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: MP4/20

Post by Jeff »

Very cool project, good to see you do this one Duke.

Not sure if I heard it right on the net somewhere (hazy memory), but you may want to test-fit the suspension with the wheel/tyre and frontwing to check that the gap between wing endplate and tyre is not too large. Just flagging this in case it's true and assuming you want to do something about it, then it's not too late. If it's not too large, then please ignore this red herring :)

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi BigD, Welcome to S27 land! I,ve had to do this to nearly all S27 kits,also check front wing height, but the end result is worth it.
Atb,Alexp.

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

Front wing IS too far from the wheels. but tough thing to correct, maybe redrill the suspensions locations, yes...

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yep! Just got this one from mtr too and I plan to do it some day. Sound modifications (the plastic sheet on the suspensions attachment is good, some putty there will certainly help!)
Yes, the trick given by Manu about the suspension position is also correct. Maybe the panel line marking the nose cone is to be moved too...
One deceiving feature is the match between bodywork and floor. 90º, no hint of a rounded transition as on the MP4/22... easy fix but deceiving fur such a pricy item. Also the "viking horns" are as smooth as a fence picket. Nice rest, I'd say nose a bit too narrow?

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

yeah but remember that the nose was alreday a big debate at that time. ST27 was wrong, so was revell.even the red 5 wasn't great....

Topic author
BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Hmmmm, I've wandered into a mine field! Thanks for the tips guys - Anyone have a few shots of the rear and what is carbon \ gun-metal in terms of gearbox masking? Also considering filling up the upper-sidepod air vents to make painting easier. (I've seens pics without them)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The front wing is a little short of the front wheels, it's about 0.5cm gap between the wing and the wheels. After checking reference pics, the nose panel line appears to be OK, however the front suspension bisect this line too close to the cockpit, so it should be a simple case of moving the suspension mounting holes about 0.2/3mm forward. The bargeboards won't be impacted by this.

As for the nose, well it was the first thing I noticed, much like the Brawn last year. It's not helped by the decals up the side which play tricks on the eye. I think it will look OK when done, not really into S27 F1 Rhinoplasty =)

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Do you have the MP4-20 photos from Gurney Flap?

http://www.gurneyflap.com/formule100's.html

Paul Erlendson

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

My original pictures, some of which were used at gurneyflap.com, could be still downloaded from here

http://lezdep.dyndns.org:8080/f1/ref/MP4-20/

Pictures are from Canadian GP 2005 in Montreal. openh1.zip and openh2.zip have most detailed pictures.
pract1.zip and pract2.zip are shoots from distance at Friday practice sessions. Keep in mind that files are big
and I cannot keep my home server up all time. So, it's preferable to use some software which would allow
interruptions and would continue when server is back up.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Manu wrote:yeah but remember that the nose was alreday a big debate at that time. ST27 was wrong, so was revell.even the red 5 wasn't great....
Yes, :) I did not want to get too deep into that, so not to hijack the thread! But yes the nose itself is subject of debate!
BigDuke6 wrote:The front wing is a little short of the front wheels, it's about 0.5cm gap between the wing and the wheels. After checking reference pics, the nose panel line appears to be OK, however the front suspension bisect this line too close to the cockpit, so it should be a simple case of moving the suspension mounting holes about 0.2/3mm forward. The bargeboards won't be impacted by this.

As for the nose, well it was the first thing I noticed, much like the Brawn last year. It's not helped by the decals up the side which play tricks on the eye. I think it will look OK when done, not really into S27 F1 Rhinoplasty =)
Yes you are right! the wishbone in fact should rest on the panel line so the stering arm is forward of panle line as in fat it was overhanging the chassis (IIRC). I have a bunch of good pics of when I did my sratch built effort, I'll try to send them...