WIP MP4/6 - First time builder - of this subject anyway

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Si90
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes
Great Britain

Re: WIP MP4/6 - First time builder - of this subject anyway

Post by Si90 »

Hi All

A really quick update of progress on the Mclaren. Have about finished the engine with just the velocity stacks on hold as I am waiting for some CF to cover the airbox tray. Most of the plumbing for the oil lines is done, exhausts are done but yet to be fixed permanently in place, shocks are wired/plumbed and the the scratch built throttle is on. The exhausts don't seem to want to photograph too well. I used quite a bit of Tamiyas clear colours which I think is why they change colour quite a bit when they catch the light. Sometimes they look a silvery blue, other times more purple and in other lights a more brown colour as they do these pics.
Attachments
Engine 2 27_8_09.JPG
Engine 27_8_09.JPG
Throttle installed.JPG
Oil Tank connectors 2.JPG
Exhaust_raw .JPG

"All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla-Prague Away Kit"

W.I.P: Tamiya 1/12 McLAREN MP4/6
http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11046

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

WOW!!!, one can not but be very impressed, so realistic and a fantastic looking power plant.
Can't wait to see more of this build.

Dede.
Dede.

craig
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by craig »

That engine looks fantastic. I know what you mean with the clear colors on the exhaust. You have to be so careful spraying it on so it doesn't run. Very realistic looking.

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

Very nice start--two questions for you. What types of bolts did you use? Are the full bolts or just the heads? What maker? Also, what diameter aluminum tubing did you use for the distal end of the oil line fittings? (It's the silver on the blue fitting I'm referring to.) I've got this in my build pile and am taking in everyone's approaches...

Just added the Wolf WR1 to my to do pile. I now have 5 1/12 kits! Gotta get building! :lol:

Daniel

Topic author
Si90
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by Si90 »

Hi Daniel

To answer you questions the alloy tube is 1.5mm but I had to enlarge the hole down the centre.

Yes all the bolts are full bolts and are fixed on by first removing the molded in bolt and then drilling a locating hole.

All the bolts with the exception of the ones on the header flanges are bought from Hiroboy.com. The ones on the Valve covers are 0.7 and 0.9mm knurled head allen bolts. On the rest of the engine they are a mix of 0.7mm and 0.9mm hex bolts with flanges with the odd Top Studio 0.7 and 0.9mm rivets on there.

The bolts on header flanges are 1.0mm brass hex nut with stud made by Scale Hardware and bought from Bestbalsakits in Belgium.

Scuderia
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Australia

Post by Scuderia »

Nice engine detail. Did you see there is a bolt missing near the electrical connector.

Topic author
Si90
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by Si90 »

Scuderia wrote:Did you see there is a bolt missing near the electrical connector.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at my efforts and for all your encouraging comments.

Well spotted Scuderia. I was wondering if somebody would mention that. It's not missing its been left off as when I get to the right stage there wil be a bracket fastned on there which will have the tension wire for the floor pan connected too it. There is also one missing on the short support between the rear shock mount and the engine, again for the same reason.

It's nice to know that people are looking that closely - makes you feel that all the effort you put in is worth while.

De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

truly fantastic work, makes me want to go back working on my MP 4/6.... :wink:

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

Si90 wrote:Hi Daniel

To answer you questions the alloy tube is 1.5mm but I had to enlarge the hole down the centre.

Yes all the bolts are full bolts and are fixed on by first removing the molded in bolt and then drilling a locating hole.

All the bolts with the exception of the ones on the header flanges are bought from Hiroboy.com. The ones on the Valve covers are 0.7 and 0.9mm knurled head allen bolts. On the rest of the engine they are a mix of 0.7mm and 0.9mm hex bolts with flanges with the odd Top Studio 0.7 and 0.9mm rivets on there.

The bolts on header flanges are 1.0mm brass hex nut with stud made by Scale Hardware and bought from Bestbalsakits in Belgium.
Thanks for the info. I've gone back and forth about having true metal bolts and nuts or using resin ones. Any input on the difficulty of drilling the locating hole for each? Is it as time consuming as it sounds? Would you say it is worth it? Obviously, your build is great--goes without saying. I'm curious about your opinion.

Thanks again! Keep going! I'm anxious to see your progression.

Daniel

Topic author
Si90
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by Si90 »

drledford93 wrote:
Si90 wrote:Hi Daniel

Is it as time consuming as it sounds? Would you say it is worth it?l
Yes it is as time consuming as it sounds. You have to plan ahead and do all your drilling before painting and assembly but there is no question it is absolutely worth it. I would estimate that there is getting on for 200 on the engine at the moment. You will need a ready supply of small drill bits (0.4-0.7mm) as they break with alarming ease. I know everybody says it but it does look better in the flesh than in pictures.

The difficult thing is getting the hole exactly where you want it especially on small parts as the twisting motion tends to make the drill walk sideways before it bites. I tend to use the tip of a scalpel blade to make a small indent first. Even then I had to fill a few with spare sprue and re-drill them. This was especially difficult on the alloy rod ends I used on the throttle linkage. To get the three on there I used, I had 6 attempts. The hole down the center of those is 0.45mm from memory and the rod end shaft itself is only 0.75mm.

The only draw back is its expensive - especially the ones I used on the Valve covers at £9 for 20 and there are 40 on there.