Tamiya Williams FW24

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Williams FW24

Post by billgtp »

Looking good

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

There is going to be a lot of polishing going on this weekend! The engine cover has been a tough go for me and all the layers of paint and my misunderstanding of how to use the clear coat haven't helped. I'm getting better at polishing so expect to get a decent enough result...and if I muck things up then the car will likely just not have the engine cover on it when displayed!

Other side

The rear end plates at least look pretty good. Didn't realize until right this second the CF decal came out on the other side.

Right as I started the final clear coat on the rear wings the decal fluttered away :( I'll get some spare decals on it after I get it polished.

Everything is just a little bit off on the front wing. It'll be fine once its done, but up close I can tell that I need to be more careful whilst laying them down. The main decal was placed too far forward, and wouldn't stick on the center of the front wing for some reason. This moved everything around.

I'm finally reaching the home stretch. While its not as good as I was hoping, I'm learning a lot by actually building it rather than doing a little and getting nervous I'm going to mess it up. Thats whats held me back from even doing a WIP in the past, and has kept me from completing models as well. So in that regard I'm happy, and I'm seeing with the other models I'm building in the meantime how I'm getting better at this.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Its coming together! I'll start with the picture I'm the most proud of. I spent a lot of time making sure this was exactly like the real car, with chrome suspension mounts, exposed CF (yes its just x-18) and everything else looking like I want.

And now onto the amazing brakes. Its eight pieces and just amazing engineering from Tamiya. The discs even still turn!

This isn't perfect but its SO much better than what I had before. I did a mixture of wet and dry sanding here. I'm still learning how to work with the 2k clear properly and this has resulted in some of the issues I've had with bubbling of the clear coat or just not getting a nice finish. I had almost given up on getting a good finish here and decided Wednesday night to give it another go with some dry sanding on the really terrible parts. I'm still not able to get a good finish after clear coating with just polishing as I don't know when to move from one grit to another, and tend to either end up with a fuzzy finish or I just go through the clear coat. What I did here was get most of the worst parts out and then put another clear coat on and it evened out pretty well.

This is my motivation to get things right the first time! It also shows how I'm learning as I had forgotten to clear coat here before Thursday. This is what I'm looking for out of a finish, and its good motivation for next time that I can do it properly the first time.

The front wing is almost complete. I have two flip ups on the end plates to glue together as well as the deflectors under the wing too.

Rear wing is together. It didn't go as well as I was hoping and this is where I need to do some more research next time to get it goether properly the first time.

I made sure to get a picture of the rear wing endplate before I put it together. Everything ended up like I wanted.

Terribly framed preview picture of the car almost put together. I'm hoping to finish it today.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Finally completed it. The work I did on the tires didn't really work out, and there is no way to get the engine cover over the radiators, but I'm happy with it overall.

I'm going to use the car/engine stands to put the engine cover up off the ground, but heres it in the display case.

The rear wheels do get closer to touching the ground than the picture shows.