JUST ANOTHER SIXER ! Mp4/6 1/12

Post away...

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

JUST ANOTHER SIXER ! Mp4/6 1/12

Post by plastiksurgeon »

These Tamiya 1/12 Mclaren MP4/6s seem to be a right of passage if you are any kind of Senna fan, ....so being a devout worshiper of the best driver to ever touch a steering wheel, I built one.

These are just a few of the images from taking the chassis to the studio for a good long immersed photographic study of my model. Just the chassis for right now, the rest in other shoot sessions.

For this build, I'd like to thank Top Studio for the full detail set, Paul at Thunder Valley for white metal radiators, exhaust, PE, and lot's more incredible little things, .....Acu Stion photo etch, Mac's anodized wheels, Model Factory Hiro for the "T" 80s replacement tires, Museum collection for decals, RB Motion for countless anodized red and blue fittings (nothing looks like anodized aluminum like anodized aluminum), undertray rigging and nuts, bolts, rod ends, and so much more, Model factory Hiro for the "redbook" (InDetail), again Paul at Thunder Valley for an amazing disc of reference images, the clearview "squarebook" and Gravity paints for colors and polishes. And there is no way I could complete this list with out a special thank you to Nikon for supplying the world's absolute best cameras and lenses to bring these images to you. (Nikon D850).

There are actually two of these Sixers! I build every Wednesday night with my great friend, Jim Petersen, and this has been our project build for the last three years of Wed. nights. We have built seven models side by side in pretty much every Wednesday night of the last 29 years ! The Williams took us twelve years....You can imagine the friendship and modeling camradery.... We make every decision and executed move together, and never get ahead of each other. We live an hour apart, and switch off going to each other's buildrooms each week, so one of us drives two hours total for our seven hour build sessions. In the last several years, in the name of building more models (we're both in our sixties, so the stash is beckoning to get more done....you can see my logic...), we assign ourselves "homework" to achieve before the next Wed. evening session. We end up ultimately with team cars that are absolutely identical in every way, to the rivet. Wednesday nights for the last 29 years wouldn't have been at all as much fun if not for Jim ! Long may we run...

So, there will be a shoot with both cars as well...

This is also the "masking-tape-painted-black-to-represent-the-early-rough-wrinkly-Carbon-used-on-the-early-nineties-cars", that I posted here awhile back. It looks much better in the flesh, but the photographs at least give you a teaser of what the process yields. Before everyone reminds me that years down the road the tape will come up, ...the issue was deliberated on quite extensively, to the point of using old tape, years old, because it sticks too "much" for masking, but played right into our longevity scheming and the edges were then sealed with liquid cement to avoid that very problem. We love it ! I don't expect to be around when that tape finds it's way loose.....

Mac's wheels were pretty glossy for a racecar, so we dulled them down and scraped the edges, exposing some aluminum edge as a wheel would appear after multiple tire changes throughout each season and air valves and wheel weights were added. The Model factory Hiro tires which were used without doing anything to them at all, except pulling back the intensity of the white lettering with gray pastels to achieve a scale contrast.

All of the aftermarket add ons were such a boost to the build, simply amazing, all of 'em !

Thanks for taking a look...

Cheers,
Steve Mohlenkamp

McLaren MP4 6 000 chassis main portrait FIF copy.gif
McLAREN MP4 6 004 chassis from above FIF.gif
McLaren MP4 6 005 HONDA V12 engine FIF lighter.gif
McLaren MP4 6 008 chassis portrait FIF.gif
McLaren MP4 6 009 chassis floor pan FIF.gif
McLaren MP4 6 010 chassis cockpit FIF.gif
McLaren MP4 6 011 chassis engine portrait FIF.gif
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: JUST ANOTHER SIXER ! Mp4/6 1/12

Post by plastiksurgeon »

McLaren MP4 6 013 chassis engine portrait FIF WEB USE.gif
Cheers,
Steve Mohlenkamp

STEVE MOHLENKAMP PHOTOGRAPHY
denver

http://www.SteveMohlenkamp.com
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

wow :)

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Absolutely beautiful Steve. The build and of course the photography are both phenomenal.
Sounds a nice way to build, thanks for sharing your work with us.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Wonderful build. A true right of passage.

Also love the story of the friendship with Jim. Reminds me of the fun i used to have with friends as a youngster. Great stuff.

Congratulations.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Great work, great story, great pictures...what else... it's great :-)

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

brilliant work, looks awesome! Very good team work, splendid! :)
Take a stand!

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

One of the nicest MP4/6s I have ever seen. I love all the colors packed into the back in and the details. The photography is of course, amazing. Love the Senna figure and the other great touches.

Jordan

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Post by Grypham »

Incredible! Yet another MP4/6 that humbles me.

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

I love this stuff Steve. That shot of the engine on the pallet is just phenomenal, as are the other shots of the build. And I love the concept of roughing up the edges of the wheels to simulate mount/de-mount work in the field. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing these -

AJ