Post away...

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Re: 1/12 MFH July 2020?

Post by sky1911 »

Well if the car model as such does not differ (i.e. no different spoiler / bodywork, wheel sizes), I do not see, why there needs to be a new kit number. Just add different decals. But the one kit thing did kill the 512S/M thought for me. The Penske car was different in several areas, some seen (spoilers / bodywork), some not (engine, battery). Also MFH did not always do all versions of a car they kitted. For instance the 1971 917K did not have the Brands Hatch Martini cars in 1/12 - which they did in 1/24. They also did not do the Vaillant, Jaegermeister or Martini versions of the 917/30 in 1/12, probably based on the success of those liveries in 1/24 sales, because really the Sunoco is the first livery that comes to mind for most people. So that argument might prove to be "not relevant" if they choose to do only the most iconic version. I'm not saying they do, but it has happened in the past. Good point though.
Cheers,
Roman

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

sky1911 wrote:Well if the car model as such does not differ (i.e. no different spoiler / bodywork, wheel sizes), I do not see, why there needs to be a new kit number. Just add different decals. But the one kit thing did kill the 512S/M thought for me. The Penske car was different in several areas, some seen (spoilers / bodywork), some not (engine, battery). Also MFH did not always do all versions of a car they kitted. For instance the 1971 917K did not have the Brands Hatch Martini cars in 1/12 - which they did in 1/24. They also did not do the Vaillant, Jaegermeister or Martini versions of the 917/30 in 1/12, probably based on the success of those liveries in 1/24 sales, because really the Sunoco is the first livery that comes to mind for most people. So that argument might prove to be "not relevant" if they choose to do only the most iconic version. I'm not saying they do, but it has happened in the past. Good point though.
Yes you are right. It did happen. And also I could imagine MFH have lost money on 1/12 variation kits which are NOT so famous. At the hobby forum at Yokohama they sold the resently released non-factory Jo Siffert/ Robert Walker Lotus 49B at a very low price. The 1/12 kits are so expensive that the customers mostly go for "the most obvious". So yes - it could be the March 1971 factory car.
Br
Allan

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I think the color Hiro showed might be red and yellow/gold. It's almost 50 years since the death of Jochen Rindt wich happened on September 5th at Monza. They might be doing his last win in the Lotus 72. That would make alot of sense. His last win was at Germany on August 2nd 1970.

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

F1tommy wrote:I think the color Hiro showed might be red and yellow/gold. It's almost 50 years since the death of Jochen Rindt wich happened on September 5th at Monza. They might be doing his last win in the Lotus 72. That would make alot of sense. His last win was at Germany on August 2nd 1970.
Yeah this is a really solid guess here. As much as I would like a March this seems far more likely....

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

F1tommy wrote:I think the color Hiro showed might be red and yellow/gold. It's almost 50 years since the death of Jochen Rindt wich happened on September 5th at Monza. They might be doing his last win in the Lotus 72. That would make alot of sense. His last win was at Germany on August 2nd 1970.
Good quess. But "problem" is the Tamiya Lotus 72 is still a fantastic kit - and can be converted back (not easy). However the Tamiya kit has been out-of-production for some time and hard-to-find. So a MFH Lotus 72 Germany 1970 would be fantastic. In that case PLEASE make the rear suspension correct. It is NOT the same as Tamiya 1972 layout.
Br
Allan

Fredo84
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Fredo84 »

It could be a 1969 McLaren M9A Cosworth...

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

allnie wrote: Good quess. But "problem" is the Tamiya Lotus 72 is still a fantastic kit - and can be converted back (not easy). However the Tamiya kit has been out-of-production for some time and hard-to-find. So a MFH Lotus 72 Germany 1970 would be fantastic. In that case PLEASE make the rear suspension correct. It is NOT the same as Tamiya 1972 layout.
Hard to source a Lotus 72 where ? I see a number of them on Ebay frequently. I don't know why Tamiya doesn't make a special run with said modifications. Yes, some tooling but not an entire kit. But it depends on the math. Are you going to sell enough to make money. I think so.

Steve

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

SBEST wrote:
allnie wrote: Good quess. But "problem" is the Tamiya Lotus 72 is still a fantastic kit - and can be converted back (not easy). However the Tamiya kit has been out-of-production for some time and hard-to-find. So a MFH Lotus 72 Germany 1970 would be fantastic. In that case PLEASE make the rear suspension correct. It is NOT the same as Tamiya 1972 layout.
Hard to source a Lotus 72 where ? I see a number of them on Ebay frequently. I don't know why Tamiya doesn't make a special run with said modifications. Yes, some tooling but not an entire kit. But it depends on the math. Are you going to sell enough to make money. I think so.

Steve
Well, the last Tamiya re release was not so much back, think it will take some time to get a new release again, but your right, this could be a step in point for Ebbro like on the Matra, i would more likely see a 72C from Ebbro in cooperation with Tamiya like a MFH one, but to me it is not a must have cause i have a 72C Transkit for the Tamiya kit to do Rindt`s car, only need a better solution for the tyres and rear suspension.
Take a stand!

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

gp-models wrote:
SBEST wrote:

Steve
Well, the last Tamiya re release was not so much back, think it will take some time to get a new release again, but your right, this could be a step in point for Ebbro like on the Matra, i would more likely see a 72C from Ebbro in cooperation with Tamiya like a MFH one, but to me it is not a must have cause i have a 72C Transkit for the Tamiya kit to do Rindt`s car, only need a better solution for the tyres and rear suspension.
I have the decals already, so at least they can get that right*. Maybe split 3-way then? :lol:

*Just like Italeri that bought my 179 decals few weeks prior to their release. And then did't use them... Maybe just a disgrunted employee. 8)

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

gp-models wrote:

Does anyone have a connect at Ebbro to float this idea?