willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Re: MP4/6 Yet another technique for that wrinkled carbon eff

Post by willster127 »

I'm with Flemming on this one, Yes, in theory the carbon fiber is flat black, but those fibers are encased in resin that isn't completely clear and it is the resin that gives this color effect. I've seen it with my own eyes many times having worked in F1 for several years.

Whether the piece in question is male or female molded, such as the chassis front sides versus the top is what causes the texture to be either smooth or rougher, was that face molded or bagged, what material and resin was used in that place for the needs of that area of the car. All of these things are what gives this tub it's unique look. the fact that it looks this way in so may pictures can't be just a camera effect, this is real color and it's there, it just depends on the liht, texture, viewing angle etc.. to really bring it out.

With that said, the upper section of the front tub where the shocks go is also molded smooth for the brackets, not textured like the example above.

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

The cars at Goodwood are now getting on for 30 years old. Resin yellows with age.

Sure, you’ll see all sorts of effects with a photo, but in reality to the naked eye - it was pretty much black.

It’s Like the M@r!b*r* red debate all over again...

robdebie
F2
F2

Post by robdebie »

Flemming wrote:Imagemp4-6_8 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr
I'm willing to bet that all three photos were made with the flash on. Could you check that in your original files please? You can see that in the file properties - if it's a JPG, there's a 'details' tab that gives this information. In my experience it's the flash that creates these bronze and golden colors.

We had a very similar debate in this thread: https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30821

Rob
Last edited by robdebie on Fri May 29, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robdebie
F2
F2

Post by robdebie »

plastiksurgeon wrote:I wanted to share yet another technique for that wrinkled carbon effect on the MP4/6 monocoque. My friend Jim Petersen and I are each building this car and we struggled with the tissue paper idea and others before coming up with this one.
[snip]
Just wanted to share this idea to anyone still searching for a method. Easy and inexpensive to take a strip of masking tape and paint it flat black to see what you think....
I think it looks brilliant!! There is room for improvement however, that would make it even more realistic. When a tub is molded around a positive mold, every thickness step or thickness mismatch is visible on the outside. And they sometimes are, depending on the specific chassis. You could add these small thickness steps to the monocoque before the tape is added, from maybe plastic card.

Rob

willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Post by willster127 »

But the seat and steering wheel are flat black, and that front roll hoop too, plus the main one. But they never look bronze and gold.... It's the resins in the CF causing the effect, and it's real. I've seen it on fresh out of the mould parts, smooth female moulded parts at that.

The differing textures on the tub just make it all look different from different angled, that's what makes the panel effects.
robdebie wrote:
Flemming wrote:Imagemp4-6_8 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr
I'm willing to bet that all three photos were made with the flash on. Could you check that in your original files please? You can see that in the file properties - if it's a JPG, there's a 'details' tab that gives this information. In my experience it's the flash that creates these bronze and golden colors.

We had a very similar debate in this thread: https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30821

Rob

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

either way...your build looks fantastic.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

dr_gn wrote:The cars at Goodwood are now getting on for 30 years old. Resin yellows with age.

Sure, you’ll see all sorts of effects with a photo, but in reality to the naked eye - it was pretty much black.

It’s Like the M@r!b*r* red debate all over again...
Hi

The pictures were taken in 1999 on film - so no 'original file' information :lol: Yes flash was on and will lighten the picture - but to my naked eye they were anything but black. I have always looked at stuff like that with a modeller eye. Studying the colours. The following pictures are more recent taken WITHOUT flash - but is not the MP4/6.

ImageGW2005D0010 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr

ImageGW2005D0019 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr

ImageGW2005D0014 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr

This i a picture of the MP4/2C taken out of sunshine with no flash inside a tent. The aluminium fixtures like the nose is cleary black as well as panels on the sides and so on. But the central chassis clearly shows the early almost plain flat olive green of a Mac chassis.

ImageGW10_2430 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr

This i a cockpit shot with flash on of the MP4/6. Seat is grey - belts are black - steering wheel a very dark grey - the panel on the very left of the picture is painted semi gloss black. The rest... black?

ImageGW11_0171 by Flemming Hansen, on Flickr

As I said - you can all paint your McLarens the way you like - I just don't paint mine plain black...

Best regards

Flemming

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Yep, each to their own, but thanks for the images.

One other thing to note from them is the size of weave in the carbon - nothing like the equivalent of the commonly available 1:12 scale decals, which is way too big. This Is particularly obvious in the cockpit image. I’m using 1:20 on mine because it’s far closer to true scale.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Really amazing Steve.
:D But I do need you to read my pm, it´s no for me, its for you :lol:

Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

How did you go with the decals over the masking taped area?
"Flying is easy. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Douglas Adams