Post away...

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

ACES FOR RIDE HEIGHT SPACERS

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Gentlemen,

I just broke out my new RB15 in 20th scale. As I made the first move I ever make with a new kit, which is to establish ride height, I thought I might share my ideas. (Everyone is most probably already doing this, but......)

I take the car's pan and use playing cards in layers to establish proper ride height. Why ?

First, rather than have the model, very heavy if resin, rest all of it's weight on the fragile suspension points, the bulk of the weight rests on this invisible spacer under the model. Why put the task of all of that weight on your perfectly crafted suspension and tires ?

Second, very hard to establish perfect level ride height with just hanging the four separate corners of suspension.

Third, much easier to attach suspension corners when the model is already suspended at the perfect ride height. So, it is a matter of hanging the corners on the suspended model instead of hanging the model on the suspension corners. (again, ...I'm sure most are already doing this part with a simple jig or temporary spacing...)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I make this spacer from normal playing cards because of the very slight increments of thickness afforded by the thin cards to adjust the height perfectly. They are plastic coated so they accept glue and paint perfectly. I determine how many are needed, then glue each one to the stack until I have a solid spacer for under the car. These can be cut to any size and shape once assembled. The final spacer might only be a quarter by a half inch to minimize it being seen. Size doesn't matter here, guys, as a spacer or a pair of them just the size of a pencil eraser, will easily hold up a heavy 12th scale MFH kit. Then I paint my spacer flat black and attach to the bottom of the pan with double stick tape so it can be removed at will to paint or finish the bottom of the undertray. Once the model is finished, the spacer can remain for strength and stability, or can be removed to let the suspension handle the weight. They stay on for me, as I am not a contest modeler, but rather a photography modeler, and my ride height spacers never show.

A deck of cards has become a permanent staple in my modeling tools drawer.

Here's a bonus ! .....One deck will last you a lifetime....about 2 dollars.

Cheers,
Steve Mohlenkamp

image 00.gif
image 1.gif
image 2.gif
image 3.gif
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Re: ACES FOR RIDE HEIGHT SPACERS

Post by Seema »

Good idea and hardly visible on F1 vehicles with low ground clearance.
Seema

TvD
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tim
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lando Norris and McLaren
New Zealand

Post by TvD »

Very good idea... I have one question though. You are mentioning the RB15, that's a car with a fair amount of "rake". Even standing still the rear is so much higher than the front. Have you thought about if and how you might use this card trick? (no pun intended ;) ).
My Scalemodel gallery: https://photos.keepturningleft.com

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

TvD wrote:Very good idea... I have one question though. You are mentioning the RB15, that's a car with a fair amount of "rake". Even standing still the rear is so much higher than the front. Have you thought about if and how you might use this card trick? (no pun intended ;) ).
I have thought about the rake of the RB15, and figure that my balancers will have to be a couple of different heights and will have to be removed after the model is built. Good catch !

Cheers,
Steve
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Plus, it must be some interim version of RB15 in pictures :)

Good idea, though, thanks for sharing!