Topic author
racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Re: Australian GP - McLaren withdrawal

Post by racingkars »

MoFo wrote:Bahrain and Vietnam have been postponed as well, now. Looks like they're hoping to start the season mid-May.

Assuming they're able to reschedule, it will be interesting to see how the teams will cope with so many races crammed into an even shorter period.
I now read Zandvoort has been postponed too....
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Authorities around the world are all caged by economical reasons. Nobody seems to think in medium period therms. Japanese government still speak about maintain dates of Olympic Games
It was a real possibility to get the cancellation of the Australian GP but everybody have waited until the last moment. The positive way also for future economical consequences should be to ellaborate a new calendar concentrating the races from summertime, when the crisis will be reasonabily under control.
It's not so difficult to program Spain, Mónaco, France, Great Britain, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Italy in a row. 2 races each 3 weeks, so the European tour could be completed in 10 weeks. If required without crowd, ok, I think everything is better than to cancel the season.
And the same criteria with the other races. Hasn't it sense?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Thats what they're doing. The logistical problem is that once you have equipment in an area, it becomes harder to pull out. Australia wasn't handled well, but they had a good first impression for Bahrain, and now are doing the right thing with delaying other races well in advance.

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Well in the 90's there were only 15-16 races.
Which I personally think was better.
But starting the season in May they could still do 2 races per month,until September/October.
What they should do is get all the F1 drivers to do scalextric or race buggies for the next few months then we can see who the best drivers are!