Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

best mask for modeling

Post by daniel »

I'm looking for a new mask for modeling. I prefer 3M because I can buy all needed parts online easily.
I want the best possible protection and a half mask. I use pretty much all sorts of paints...2k , Acrylics, all model brands. Should also work for small 1/1 paintjobs.

I'm a little lost because there are so many different filters to choose from.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: best mask for modeling

Post by Noddy »

If painting with 2K you really need (at the very least) a Tyvek hood and a full-face mask. No matter what mask you use you need a particulate pre-filter and an organic vapor filter. You need to be very aware of changing out the filters as the isocyanates from 2K paint don't have a detectable odor until you are WAY past the exposure limits and the filters do become saturated. The full-face mask is because organic chemicals penetrate the eyes just as easily as they pass into the lungs.
No matter what mask and filters you need to work in a well-ventilated area, preferably with a spray booth that is venting outdoors. You need to be covered head to toe and if you have facial hair all bets are off for any mask sealing properly against vapors.
Finally - do yourself two favors - one is stop listening to the all too common advise of "you're only spraying small amounts, you'll be fine" and "I've been doing it for years and I'm okay" and the second is to get and read the OSHA and NOSH documents on the dangers of the different materials you'll be using.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

For the face mask, make sure you're buying the proper type as well. I just bought a new one and hadn't realized how many of the face masks won't do a thing for the paint odors we're dealing with.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

stubeck wrote:For the face mask, make sure you're buying the proper type as well. I just bought a new one and hadn't realized how many of the face masks won't do a thing for the paint odors we're dealing with.
Most masks serve only as holders for separate replaceable filters for different purposes. IOW it's not the type of mask that's important - it's the filter selection.

Worth noting that the life span of an active charcoal organic vapor filter is a maximum of 8 hours. They must be replaced with new sealed units after eight hours. Not 8 hours of use, 8 hours of being open to the air. So all the people who throw the mask and filters on the workbench to be picked up 3 months from now when the next project starts are getting no protection at all from those filters.

Finally, if you are spraying mostly 2K products please look into a forced air respirator system instead of relying on filtered masks. They are pricey - but you have one set of lungs for the duration of your stay here on earth.