Post away...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Say it ain't so, Fernando!

Post by daveyman »

I must admit that I find it quite amusing that they have crashed out in such a way. All this talk of FA and the triple crown was a bit much for me. He was pretty much donated the Le Mans win last year and it seemed more of a matter of box ticking. I'm glad that it's shown that you can't just turn up at the speedway and win.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

daveyman wrote:I must admit that I find it quite amusing that they have crashed out in such a way. All this talk of FA and the triple crown was a bit much for me. He was pretty much donated the Le Mans win last year and it seemed more of a matter of box ticking. I'm glad that it's shown that you can't just turn up at the speedway and win.
Completely agree. He's a great driver, but I'd put more in the triple crown win if Hulkenberg can somehow pull it off.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Ha, yeah the hulk has to win a GP first tho. Montoya could do Le Mans and add that to Monaco and Indy which would be cool.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

daveyman wrote:...it seemed more of a matter of box ticking. I'm glad that it's shown that you can't just turn up at the speedway and win.
I totally agree. I have been very appreciative of the worldwide attention Alonso has brought to IndyCar, so that the world can see how much better the racing often is compared to F1. But the attitude, especially in the F1 community, seems to be that any half-decent former F1 driver can come over to IndyCar and win.

Yes, IndyCar is spec racing, but which is better, a series with five different winners from four different teams in the first five races of the season, or the same team finishing 1-2 in all five races so far this season?

OK, now I'm done with my soap-box rant... :wink:

Cameron

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

To me this spoke to McLaren, I watched qualifying and it looked to me like Fernando was getting what he could out of the car. Even if he made the field he would not have been comparative with the equipment he had and a lap down in the first 10 to 20 laps.

My opinion of McLaren went down massively, I am not a particular fan of Fernando, I hoped for and expected a top 6 qualifying effort from that organization. With their resources averaging less than 228 in qualifying is a complete embarrassment. They were comprehensively unprepared at every stage. Indianapolis is a beast of a track and this is the biggest qualifying disaster since Little Al and Penske failed to qualify back in 1995(if I have the right year). A complete disaster is getting more coverage though than Fernando making the back of the field and finishing 5 laps down or crashing out.