Some of my pics from the IMSA race at Mid Ohio

Post away...

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Some of my pics from the IMSA race at Mid Ohio

Post by CTurbert »

I've taken a brief break from modeling, but was able to recently pursue my other passion; Motorsport photography. I'm not a professional by any means, but I love attending races and taking as many photos as I can (While still watching the race with two eyes!). I drove to Mid Ohio last Sunday for the IMSA Weathertech race. I hadn't been to an IMSA race since 2013 at Lime Rock, so it was nice to see some familiar, and some not so familiar cars. I was able to find some pretty good vantage points as a spectator. Mid Ohio is very open and fan friendly and great for photography. Anyway, here are some pics I took. I used a Nikon D300 with a Nikkor-C 80-200 F4.5 AI lens, and a Nikkor 300mm AI-s F4.5 lens. These are older manual focus lenses but are still super sharp by today's standards.

Last edited by CTurbert on Sat May 11, 2019 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Re: Some of my pics from the IMSA race at Mid Ohio

Post by F1tommy »

Nice photos. I really wish FORD would do more special color schemes on their GT's. The Daytona cars looked so cool.

Mid Ohio is a very nice track, although not as wide as some. I love the Road America and Laguna Seca tracks best, but like the 12 Hours of Sebring the best of all American races.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

F1tommy wrote:Nice photos. I really wish FORD would do more special color schemes on their GT's. The Daytona cars looked so cool.

Mid Ohio is a very nice track, although not as wide as some. I love the Road America and Laguna Seca tracks best, but like the 12 Hours of Sebring the best of all American races.
Thanks! The throwback 2016 livery they had on the #66 car last week was pretty cool, but yeah the Daytona liveries were pretty awesome.

Mid Ohio is the closest major road race track to me but I'd love to attend Road America or even Laguna.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Really great photos! Its nice to see that you put a lot of effort into getting the cars in motion and not just pics at 1/1000th of a second.

I'm hoping to go to the 6 hours of the Glen, but its always so freaking hot that I might not make it. We have a trip to Japan a few days later as well so we might have to delay it again.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

stubeck wrote:Really great photos! Its nice to see that you put a lot of effort into getting the cars in motion and not just pics at 1/1000th of a second.

I'm hoping to go to the 6 hours of the Glen, but its always so freaking hot that I might not make it. We have a trip to Japan a few days later as well so we might have to delay it again.
Thanks! Yeah I've seen photos where it looks like the cars are parked on the track. Panning with motion blur is tricky but it definitely adds a lot to the image. If you're watching in person and follow a car as it passes you on a straight you'll quickly notice that the car is in focus while the background is blurred. The head-on and rear shots were taken at higher shutter speeds cause the cars come and go out of focus much more rapidly than 3/4 or side shots, plus the wheels typically aren't visible at those angles.

WG would be an awesome event to attend but it can get pretty hot and humid that time of year. Luckily it was in the low 60's, breezy and sunny last weekend, though some of the infield spectator areas were swampy with standing muddy water. I had to throw away my shoes!

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

Very nice photos! Thanks! :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

Road America is a great place to watch a race. Turn 5 is especially cool as it creates a great deal of passing opportunities.

Coop

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

Very nice shots! Have you been able to get the mud off your clothes and car yet? My wife & I were there, and in my five decades of going to Mid-Ohio that was easily the muddiest I've ever seen it. They don't call it Mud-Ohio for nothing! However the spectators that braved the cold & swampy conditions, and turned out were treated to a terrific race.

Marc
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Marc »

Nice pictures, it's not easy to take good racing pictures. Did you have photo accreditation?

Imsa is the best racing serie in America. Went to WGlen for the last to race (boy it was hot last july) and Mosport but the best one was Super Sebring this year. Dont miss these race live with the Corvette, the Porsche RSR and the Mazda dpi. It's so sweet to the ears!

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

Marc wrote:Nice pictures, it's not easy to take good racing pictures. Did you have photo accreditation?

Imsa is the best racing serie in America. Went to WGlen for the last to race (boy it was hot last july) and Mosport but the best one was Super Sebring this year. Dont miss these race live with the Corvette, the Porsche RSR and the Mazda dpi. It's so sweet to the ears!
Thanks! No I'm not a professional. I took these photos from behind the spectator fences where there wasn't any catch fencing, through gaps in the wall, empty photo holes in the catch fence, or above the catch fencing such as the top of a small grandstand outside the carousel. Here's some video from that grandstand.
https://youtu.be/G1u02JeHRJs

The Porsche RSR is probably one of the best sounding race cars I've heard, including F1 from the V10 era. Here's a video I took of it. Easily the loudest car on the grid. https://youtu.be/3gF_aWAZhIo