Post away...

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

ENTIRE TAMIYA 1/12 MOYORCYCLE COLLECTION

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Hello gentlemen,

I have a friend who has the entire collection of Tamiya 1/12 scale motorcycles, kit numbers 1 through 133.
He's considering selling it and asked me what I thought the value might be, considering he as every motorcycle they've ever made in unbuilt kits.

Just wondering if you guys had any idea what that might be worth ?

Best,
Steve
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Re: ENTIRE TAMIYA 1/12 MOYORCYCLE COLLECTION

Post by Flemming »

Best price will be selling them one by one. But it will not be more like half the price of a new kit. I don't think a lot of them hasn't been reissued - but some might be out of production. Check prices on ebay.

Hoping to sell the entire collection in one go is optimistic at best - and the price will maybe end up like 10% of the 'value' if you add the store prices from kit 1 through 133.

Old plastic kits is not "gold" - unless it is that special way out of production holy grail kind of kit. Like a Protar McLaren MP4.

BR

Flemming

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Flemming wrote:Best price will be selling them one by one. But it will not be more like half the price of a new kit. I don't think a lot of them hasn't been reissued - but some might be out of production. Check prices on ebay.

Hoping to sell the entire collection in one go is optimistic at best - and the price will maybe end up like 10% of the 'value' if you add the store prices from kit 1 through 133.

Old plastic kits is not "gold" - unless it is that special way out of production holy grail kind of kit. Like a Protar McLaren MP4.

BR

Flemming

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes, some are here in the region of 20 30 euro, sme reach esily 70 80... 2002 RCV is rare, also the Movistar RCV.
Rest have lost some value due to the presence of IXO cheap and "no work due" counterparts.
Also the really old ones get better prices. But yes, "one bike at a time"

Tomtom12
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Great Britain

Post by Tomtom12 »

Yes check EBay some in the uk are asking over £100 English pounds

Topic author
plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

So nobody thinks that the collection as a whole would be worth more than the kits separately ? It was my thought that somebody, just one person out there, might be interested in the entire collection.

Best,
Steve Mohlenkamp
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

JamesB wrote:Yes, some are here in the region of 20 30 euro, sme reach esily 70 80... 2002 RCV is rare, also the Movistar RCV.
Rest have lost some value due to the presence of IXO cheap and "no work due" counterparts.
Also the really old ones get better prices. But yes, "one bike at a time"
I was going to say the same, Rossi's 2002 RCV, If selling all then sell that now for a good price on Ebay, Tamiya could at any point re-release that and value drops.
Dede.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Unfortunately the resale of plastic model kits doesn't garner nearly what anyone selling hopes for. As someone who has been slowly selling off his collection for the past few years I can attest to that first hand. Basically what Flemming has said is the truth. There may be a few that you can actually get more in return than was paid for them originally but over all you will loose money. And selling them as a lot is no doubt a looser unless you can find that one person who has been living under a rock for the past 30 years. Most people willing to buy the lot are looking at the purchase as an investment like buying at an estate sale. They are only going to give you maybe 20% of the real worth of the kit so that they can turn around and sell it for 40% of the real worth. As a lot I'd be willing to bet 133 kits would be lucky to get offers between $1000 - $1500. Sold individually you would be likely to fetch $35.00 - $45.00 each depending on how patient you are. There are some like the Dakar BMW kit with rider that I've sold for as much as $85.00. I'm sure there are others like the BMW but research will have to be done to establish which ones are worth more than average. To establish market value best way I have found is to search the item out on eBay and then look at sold or completed listings. Then you can establish an real world average selling price from those results. Tell Jim good luck with his sales.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Texasjohn
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Texasjohn »

Don’t forget to put value on your time selling all of those individually. Motorcycles are kind of a niche market as well, so be prepared for it to drag on.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I think it will be hard to find someone which will buy all at once causeit is a hugh ammount of money to spend, even with low kit prices. As said i see the best way to sell them one by one to get a normal price, some might not reach more then 20-25 bucks, but some will come upt to 50 and more, depending on the market situation and if a potential buyer wants it now.
I build 10 or 12 over the years myself and it was allways a pleasure to see how well engineered and detailed these kits are, even for modeling beginners a good starting point.
Take a stand!