What is so special about the Ferrari 312B?

Post away...

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

What is so special about the Ferrari 312B?

Post by Orso »

Perhaps a strange question but I noticed a DVD called: "Ferrari 312B The racing car that changed the history of F1"
I would have thought that it would be the introduction of the Lotus 49 with the Cosworth that changed the history. What was so special about the 312B?

Btw. Is the movie worth buying?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: What is so special about the Ferrari 312B?

Post by stubeck »

I believe it may have run wings for the first time at Spa in 68?

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Orso wrote:
Btw. Is the movie worth buying?
I personally liked it, it is a documentary showing how Paolo Barilla (who owns that 312B) manages to bring his Ferrari back on track again at the Monaco Historic GP. He was helped by the creator of the 312B, engineer Mauro Forghieri.
In Italy it came out at cinemas a couple of years ago and it was hugely advertised everywhere. A good watch in my opinion
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

The only special thing about the 312B I could imagine, is the flat 12 engine that was introduced in this car.
It was a fantastic engine with a low center of gravity and would later win the world title inside the 312T, 312T2 and 312T4.
Did it 'change the history'?

As a F1 fan with just a bit of sympathy towards Ferrari, I would say 'no', but if you ask a diehard Tifosi the answer will be 'Yes'. And to do such a movie you have to be a diehard Tifosi! :wink:

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I look foreword to seeing the movie. Often I get these documentatires one way or the other eventually. I am in the U.S. of all things the STARZ networks got the rights to McLaren and a documentary about 1950’s Ferrari F1. Those were great watches.

As to whether the 312B was so important. I would have to see the film but I think Colin Chapman caused more change in F1 than just about anyone as he pioneered a lot of ideas that eventually took hold. First and foremost the fully stressed engine bolted to the Chassis which still defines, I think, the construction of the f1 car.

The Flat 12 had it’s moment but was a dead end developmentally as it went away when the ground effects era came and has never come back. Even in the flat bottom era up until the v-8 era we never saw another attempt at a horizontally aposed engine, which says to me the 312B although an important Ferrari was not a defining car of f1. However, if someone has a good reason to the contrary I am interested in hearing those reasons.

Flinstone
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Great Britain

Post by Flinstone »

I agree in terms of an overall leap forwards the 312B is not the biggest and Colin Chapman must be regarded as the F1 innovator. Having said that Chaparral pioneered many interesting developments in sportscars and I think it was the Lancia D50 that was the first user of a stressed engine in the chassis.

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

I can't speak to why the car was special but I saw the movie when it was in theaters and really enjoyed it. it will be better if you have a good sound system as the sound of the 12 cylinder engine is fantastic.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Excellent movie. The car is restored and its a work of art. Interesting to see the engineer and mechanics argue about a fuel pump. Lol.

Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

I believe the 312 Boxer engine is what is being referred too. It in it's day was a marvel and produced enormous power when all the bugs were worked out.
Pleased do not think I am taking away from the FORD DOHC power house, any many would use it, but the flat 12 boxer was a beast and the car was too me a match for the LOTUS 49.

Rick :shock:
I feel the need for speed.

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

The 312B itself wasn't a specially interesting car. Of course it didn't change the history of F1. The really interesting item was the engine. In the times of the absolutelly dominant Cosworth DFV it was able to win the 1975, 1977 and 1979 championships. And the sound was lovely. I remember very well it at Jarama 1974. 45 years ago, my God!