Home made decals, help.

Post away...

Topic author
gbtr6
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Home made decals, help.

Post by gbtr6 »

It’s not an F-1, or even a car, but I need help with decals. I’m making the Academy CH-53E for my son in law that flies them. I have printed his markings on clear decal film, and want to know what you coat them with before soaking them to apply. I used a laser printer at work.

Thanks,
Perry
Attachments
2BEAB929-EC66-4593-9408-B78398E84D31.jpeg

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: Home made decals, help.

Post by AJP01 »

Microscale Liquid Decal Film. Airbrush a lightly thinned (with pure water) version over the top, mist coats first then a slightly heavier coat. Works a treat. You can also brush it on by hand if you like but I still recommend thinning it slightly with water to reduce brush strokes in the coat.

Then decals will tolerate decal setting solutions better and it will hold up under clear coats without issue, as long as the clear you're using is not too aggressive.

Best,
AJ

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Same here.
I'd second the hand brush option to make things easier, though :D

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

If you used a laser printer you don't need to coat them at all. The decals will already be waterproof. Only ink jet decals need a coat of Microscale liquid decal film, otherwise the inks will run..
Steve Noble

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

My experience with Liquid decal film is splitted, had good results and bad as well cause when using decal softener it is possible that the top coat is melting again, depending on the softener you use.
As you have to cut all decals one by one, i often use a clear coat as protection, MR Hobby straight from the can as example, only a few light coats.
Even it is a laser print and waterproofed i use a protection coat, when rubbing too much with the brushwhen applying, the print will come off, so better to use a protection coat anyway.
Take a stand!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I've done several sets of decals using and inkjet printer so this may or may not apply to laser printed. It depends on what clear you are going to use over the top. I mostly spray lacquer clear after decaling so I use a very light coat of lacquer to coat the decal before wetting it to apply. This way there isn't any paint incompatibility issues. I use DuPont automotive clear on the decal and Testers Flat to finish the model.

One other thought, I don't dip my decals in water. I take a wet paper towel and lay the decal on it paper side down and let the water soak in from the back side. The top never gets wet that way. It may take slightly longer but it works for me. I have had issues with water getting between the top coat and the decal film when submerging them in water.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

SteveNoble wrote:If you used a laser printer you don't need to coat them at all. The decals will already be waterproof. Only ink jet decals need a coat of Microscale liquid decal film, otherwise the inks will run..
Yes, that's true, but I had some laser printed decals cracked (as if coat is too stiff) so, if not for slving reasons, yes for protection, LDF won't harm at all. Same with ALPS decals: not solving, but easy to be scratched...

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Beautiful build so far by the way. Really like the panel pre-shading you've done under the grey.

AJ

Topic author
gbtr6
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by gbtr6 »

Thanks for the help, and kind comment on the build. I have been working on this off and on for 2 years. Need to finish and get it to him. He said when we get out there and have a day, he'll take me to the reserve unit and we can play in their simulator. Great fun.

Perry