Do Ferrari's really sell better???

Post away...

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Do Ferrari's really sell better???

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Not so much!

Case in point, I had four diecast 1/18th scale models to sell. A Tyrrell 003, a Renault RE20, a Porsche 917K #20 & a Ferrari 312T. All are in pristine condition having never been displayed out in open air. They have always been in a covered display case. Asking price for each model is the same. Been a month now and only the Ferrari has not sold and the Ferrari is the only one that has the original box included. So NO regardless of popular belief Ferrari's are not the easiest cars to sell.
FYI

:D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Re: Do Ferrari's really sell better???

Post by Tyrone »

That's odd, I would have expected the Ferrari to be the first to go!

Maybe Ferrari sell better initially or on release? Anybody whos a big Ferrari fan probably already has a 312T whereas the Tyrrell for example might attract the interest of a casual collector as something a bit more unusual.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

Some context would help, where are these listed for sale, price, manufacturer, etc. For example the Exoto 1/18 Ferrari 312t is a highly desirably model that usually commands a high price. Maybe it is just time and patience to get the right buyer. I would think a an Exoto 312T would go over $500.00. I looked at ebay real quick there were asking prices a lot higher but I don’t know what actual sales prices have been running. Try to not think about 1/18 so that I don’t buy them.

Topic author
Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

cbk57 wrote:Some context would help, where are these listed for sale, price, manufacturer, etc. For example the Exoto 1/18 Ferrari 312t is a highly desirably model that usually commands a high price. Maybe it is just time and patience to get the right buyer. I would think a an Exoto 312T would go over $500.00. I looked at ebay real quick there were asking prices a lot higher but I don’t know what actual sales prices have been running. Try to not think about 1/18 so that I don’t buy them.
Shouldn't really matter where they are listed for sale. The point is that they were all listed at the same time in the same place and the Ferrari is the only thing that has not sold. I listed them in a diecast Facebook group first and then on eBay. The Tyrrell and Renault sold almost immediately on the Facebook page for my asking price of $125 each. Those were both Exoto models. The Ferrari did not sell nor did the 917K. I then listed the Ferrari and 917 on Ebay. The 917 sold within a few days for my asking price of $125. It was also an Exoto model. The Ferrari finally has a bid on it today for my starting price of $85. So not only has it been slow to see an action if the auction finishes with only the single bidder it will be the least valued model as well. The Ferrari is a Paul's Model Art which I always thought was a better model then the Exoto.

The point of my posting is that you always have people gloating about how Ferrari's sell and why would you want to buy anything else. This just proves to me that what those people are saying is udder Bullshit :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Ferrari’s are the most common car in my stash

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I just ran a search on ebay, I am in the U.S. but did not find your car. Nothing in my search was bid less than $100.00. I just ran a general search on ebay as follows: 1/18 Exoto Ferrari 312t. An exoto 312t under $100.00 is a bargain. I ran an advanced search to see what they have been selling for. You should get at least $200.00 area on the low end and up to $350.00 if it goes on the high end.

I am a bit surprised frankly, Exoto sold those out many years ago, and I thought they would be more by now. I have had a few exoto cars over the years and sold them all because they were worth more than I paid for them.

Exoto never offered a 917K, they offered the 917 canal cars but not the 917K.

I ran another search on ebay of all Ferrari 312Ts in 1/18 I found one at auction for $85.00 but it is Pauls Model Art not exoto. I have always perceived that Pauls Model Art do not have the same value as Exoto however I have only followed Exoto when I was into them. Anyway I know the Renault and Tyrell were offered by Exoto that you mentioned above. If those were exoto, without boxes $125 might have been the right price. I think the Tyrell should have went higher especially if it had original packaging. The Renault has never had as much value.

I am not very good at collecting because I can't bring myself to keep things as a rule.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Yes, as a re-seller of DDP-kits, Ferrari kits are my most selling items... even to the US.
Though i notice in the US, US circuit cars sell better than EU circuit cars, and vice versa (e.g. CanAm vs Le Mans).
FYI
:D :D
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Derek, I'd say that the point is that, even if Ferraris are good sellers (and because of that) there's already a much higher number of them in the market.
A matter of offer/demand ratio!! :D

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

Manufacturer of the die cast and quality are also increadibly important and to a degree more important than Ferrari vs. Tyrell. An Exoto Tyrell 003 is going to sell more quickly than a Ferrari 312T made by a lesser manufacturer. I don’t keep up on this as much anymore but when I was buying and selling a few of these I bought Exoto because I could figure out if I could make money on the resale.

In one case I bought the Chaparell set at a bargain price when they were still in stock and on clearance knowing in a few years I would make money on them but in the meen time I could display them.

If your 312t is Pauls Model Art and not Exoto, I don’t think it has as much value as the Exoto Ferrari’s. Those were very limited and sold out nearly 15 years ago. I always wanted a set of those but years ago the price’s were too high even then for me. The prices seem somewhat frozen though when you look at Auction prices now which does not speak well for the prospect of value. Really that is the case I think with most Exoto products. That is why I don’t buy and sell them, although they are amazing their is not enough gain in buying them.

I prefer to spend my money on models to build vs display. I don’t think die cast models are a great investment collecting wise. There are exceptions but it is not my thing in the end. As I have said before I don’t get that into keeping them. I get board with them and see them as a stack of dollar bills after a while.