Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

HLJ postage costs

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Has anyone else experienced anything about a drastic price increase in deliveries from Japan? I have received a lot of packages from Hobbylink /Private warehouse from Japan with FedEx for a reasonable amount over the years. But this weekend I was ready to order shipment and suddenly the prices were REALLY expensive. The only economic solution was SAL - but still more expensive than previously? I faked a buy of a magazine costing 1300 Yen, The most expensive way for delivery was FED Ex "economy" at a whopping 11500 yen!

I am hoping this is a mistake and have contacted HLJ - who hasn't answered yet.

I don't hope it is a general increase (Hoping it is a mistake) as this will have repercussions for my use of HLJ. It won't be economically viable anymore. :-(

Best regards

Flemming

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: HLJ postage costs

Post by SteveNoble »

I have noticed quite an increase myself in the cost. I have only ever used SAL or registered SAL as delivery options. I used to pay around £4 for SAL on one 1/24th scale kit, but now that's increased to around £7. With the SAL registered it's crept up to around £10 where previously it was only around £6. I also factor in that absolutely every package I order now from Japan is hit with UK vat at 20% of the total order value, including the postage costs and a further charge of £8 which is the Royal Mail handling charge. The last two kits I ordered worked out more expensive than if I'd bought them in the UK (Lancia Delta S4 and Nissan 240RS) so when I bought the Audi Quattro S1 I used Hiroboy instead. It worked out no more expensive and the delivery was next day instead of the 3-4 weeks from Japan with SAL. I'm afraid that with shipping cost increases and the fact that every parcel gets hit with duty and Royal Mail charges I probably won't be ordering much from Japan anymore. It's a real shame because I've always bought my kits from HLJ since I discovered their site when I first got online many years ago...
Steve Noble

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by shood23 »

Ive had the same. I had 4 kits waiting in my private warehouse with them. To ship all 4 at once it would have been £75. Individually it was £8ish so i did 2 kits per box with came to 13 for 1 and 14 for the second. But rather annoying both got caught but customs charge.

Shaun

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

HLJ shouldn't be able to undercut the likes of Hiroboy simply by avoiding the customs charge. Steve will, I'm sure, have to pay customs charges on everything he ships in. If tax is due, it's due and it should be paid.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

My experience is shipping is going up in all circumstances.
I rarely sell anything overseas.

Steve

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I shipped FedEx for years

I used to get a bill from them fur customs charges

I contacted FedEx and said that I had no business account

Clearly HLJ was not doing things correctly so maybe that’s the increase

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I think there were some changes in the new year. I bought a model and decal sheet through Buyee and the shipping costs were ridiculous, $20 for a kit and $22 for a decal sheet!

shood23
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by shood23 »

daveyman wrote:HLJ shouldn't be able to undercut the likes of Hiroboy simply by avoiding the customs charge. Steve will, I'm sure, have to pay customs charges on everything he ships in. If tax is due, it's due and it should be paid.
Ive no issues with the customs charge. I will buy from japan alot as i can get them quicker than if i wait for steve to get them to here and get them online. Alot of times ive had a kit well over a month before steve has them here. Again this is no bad words to anyone in the supply chain, steve esspecially, just something we have noticed with shipping cost rising globally.

Shaun

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

I find that the postage rates have gone up globally. I wanted to buy a $5 decal sheet from USA but postage would have been $30 so I dropped the idea.

Moskie
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Moskie »

shood23 wrote:
daveyman wrote:HLJ shouldn't be able to undercut the likes of Hiroboy simply by avoiding the customs charge. Steve will, I'm sure, have to pay customs charges on everything he ships in. If tax is due, it's due and it should be paid.
Ive no issues with the customs charge. I will buy from japan alot as i can get them quicker than if i wait for steve to get them to here and get them online. Alot of times ive had a kit well over a month before steve has them here. Again this is no bad words to anyone in the supply chain, steve esspecially, just something we have noticed with shipping cost rising globally.

Shaun
I guess you are the only one on F1M that starts building his kits right after you received it :wink: