Macau F3 accident this weekend

Post away...

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Macau F3 accident this weekend

Post by gp-models »

Anyone seen the F3 race in Macau this weekend? I have never seen an accident like this in all my years of watching motorsport, not even in the early years of motorsport with not someone dying.
Sophia Flörsch had a bunch of angels watching her when she crashed top over into the side planks in about 5m, the car is falling into parts, unbelievable that she survived this hard impact! Her back is broken, but only a few hours later she posted that she is ok and awaiting here surgery. :shock:
All the best from my side to your health Sophia, get back well soon!!

Here a link to a video showing the accident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUdY8clZsw
Take a stand!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: Macau F3 accident this weekend

Post by daniel »

Saw the video today for the first time...abolutely shocking. Must be terrible for her parents to see something like that. Also good to her that she can move all her limbs.

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

A bunch of angels watching over everyone is so right. Very shocking, as her car flew by so fast it looked almost like it was shot out of a cannon. Her car's throttle had to have stuck at full blast for that much speed to have been built up. It is a miracle that she survived, and that others weren't killed or more severely injured.

Cameron

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

flashman wrote:A bunch of angels watching over everyone is so right. Very shocking, as her car flew by so fast it looked almost like it was shot out of a cannon. Her car's throttle had to have stuck at full blast for that much speed to have been built up. It is a miracle that she survived, and that others weren't killed or more severely injured.

Cameron
She clipped a car that had braked unexpectedly early (Due to a false yellow flag) which broke her left side wheels. She reacted by hitting the brakes, but with only her right side wheels intact that caused her to spin, then slide backwards in to the curb launching her car in to the air. The driver of the white/yellow car was very lucky, as well as the spectators. https://streamable.com/llqz0

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

I just saw a report that her surgery went well and there is no risk of paralysis.

Eric

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
United States of America

Post by f1m »

That is the first video I've seen from that angle....

Thanks,
Eric

CTurbert wrote:
flashman wrote:A bunch of angels watching over everyone is so right. Very shocking, as her car flew by so fast it looked almost like it was shot out of a cannon. Her car's throttle had to have stuck at full blast for that much speed to have been built up. It is a miracle that she survived, and that others weren't killed or more severely injured.

Cameron
She clipped a car that had braked unexpectedly early (Due to a false yellow flag) which broke her left side wheels. She reacted by hitting the brakes, but with only her right side wheels intact that caused her to spin, then slide backwards in to the curb launching her car in to the air. The driver of the white/yellow car was very lucky, as well as the spectators. https://streamable.com/llqz0

CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

f1m wrote:That is the first video I've seen from that angle....

Thanks,
Eric

CTurbert wrote:

Cameron
I just came across it on https://reddit.com/r/formula1

Moscow
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Kos
Russia

Post by Moscow »

Get well soon!!!
The sense of danger exciting. It is a call to search for new dangers. ©Ayrton Senna

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

gp-models wrote: I have never seen an accident like this in all my years of watching motorsport, not even in the early years of motorsport with not someone dying.
I don't remember an accident so terrific in more than 50 years watching races. On the first view I almost couldn't see the car flying. Speed is absolutely impressive. Fortunately Sophia and the other people involved seem to be in good condition. Incredible.

In the opposite hand, this makes me remember the death of Dale Earnhardt. All angels were absent that day

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Yes when i watched it the first time, i too realized not even what there flew to the air caused by the incredible speed, had to watch it a couple of times to see and understand what there realy happened!
Still heard quickly that it was not realy her fault, caused by the early breaking pilot infront of her, but what is that worth when you take off at such speed. She was so lucky that her head was somewhere in the gap of this barrier which seems to be something like a press tower for photographers. When watching in slow motion and from the back of this tower, you can see the complete tower moving when she hit it, it must have been an unbelivable high energy impact cause this tower seems to be solid steel, even the metal ropes and the fence are cutted.
I read that she was about 240-270km/h fast when the car hit the barrier, incredible that she survived cause there was no soft barrier infront exapt the fence and metal ropes which she cuts like a hot knife through butter!
3 or 4 other people which have been involved like the driver she hits and track stewards ar lightly insured too, but the are allmost ok, and Sophia herself had a 11h surgery which went good, as said above.
FIA will investigate the circumstances now cause the new curbs which have been new installed at that corner this year, seems to play a roll that her car take off like a fighter jet.
I hope she recovers well in the next months, on more time all the best to you for that process!
Take a stand!