Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

A mystery solved? JPS "gold" color 1974-75

Post by JM »

For quite a while I tried to find out which color was used by Lotus for the “golden” signs and stripes of their JPS cars. It’s unquestionable that it was a real golden color in 1972 and 73 and that it was beige or biscuit color from 1977 onwards. Though some sort of mystery remained about the years 1974 to 1976.

An article from „Classic and Sportscar“ August 1989 by Doug Nye seems to solve the mystery of the real “gold” color of the JPS Lotus cars from 1972 to 1986 as Peter Warr, then director and general manager of Team Lotus explained it there. I found this valuable piece of information as part of the thoughtfully prepared instructions coming with the F1 Specialties conversion decal sheet for the Lotus 98.

Here is an excerpt of the article with the relevant information.
On the 1972-73 John Player Special Lotus 72s the JPS insignia and gold coachlines were applied to a signwritten line of sticky varnish and were sealed over with another coat of varnish on top. In those days a book of gold leaf cost 5 Pounds and around 22 to 24 books were required to signwrite each car!

The number circles on the nose and radiator pods were sprayed, because of the large area involved, “but needless to say this resulted in a difference in color which we were not happy with.” The ad men also found that the cars suffered badly from reflections from the sun in photographs, so in 1974 – when Duckhams began to co-sponsor the team – the cars were signwritten with yellow paint.

Only with the Lotus 77 did Team Lotus adopt Keeps Signwriters Gold which is the flat beige I recall. This finally succeeded in achieving the photographic requirement of non-reflection plus a gold appearance, and of course “considerably reduced the cost of signwriting the cars”. Peter confirms that they maintained this scheme until the end of 1986, and the final withdrawal of the jet black cars from the circuits.
So MFH got it completely right with the bright yellow decals for the 1974 Lotus 76 kit. And they are correct with the biscuit colored decals for the 1976 Lotus 77. Very good, as this were my recent two builds incidentally.

So for my 1974 Lotus 72E conversion I will have to look for yellow decals to compliment my leftover decals from the MFH Lotus 76 decals.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: A mystery solved? JPS "gold" color 1974-75

Post by JamesB »

Thanks Jens, ultra interesting! And quite revealing.
I'd say it had already been posted, but anyway always good to have it so visible.
I'd suggest making (maybe this one, meybe other) a thread with this kind of "misteries solved". It might be worth a sticky.
Soon I'll bring you eveidence of another typical discussion: "The black sheet that covers BT49's chassis front end is NO carbon fiber but painted aluminum sheet" heheh ;-)

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I know I posted the exact same piece a while back. If Doug Nye is saying it then it as close to gospel truth as you'll get when Team Lotus are involved. Answers a lot of questions.

eyckles
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by eyckles »

Well. I have had the same discusion with Michael from Indycals for the 1974 decal set. We came up with this : http://www.indycals.net/decals/f1/74jps.html

The are gold, but with a yellow finish. I've been looking to many pictures of this car and always says the same. Gold look, with some yellow in it. They are not the same as the 1974 Lotus 76. They are very different in my opinion.
Best regards,
Lesley

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

eyckles wrote:They are gold, but with a yellow finish. I've been looking at too many pictures of this car and I always say the same. Gold look, with some yellow in it. They are not the same as the 1974 Lotus 76. They are very different in my opinion.
And there lies the point, and so the debate continues... as it always will!!!

It's all very well the Director/General Manager saying they're yellow, cream, beige or whatever, he's just
confirming what we model builders already knew. BUT...
IF, as that silly book says, There are:
Fifty shades of grey.
How many shades of yellow, cream or beige are there :shock:
I personally think it's up to the builder and what he's happy with :wink: Yes it's nice to get it bang on, but what if there is no difinitive answer...
Like this one!!!
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

First of all, sorry if this source was already written about here. But I must have missed it completely otherwise I would surely have joined the discusion.
eyckles wrote:Well. I have had the same discusion with Michael from Indycals for the 1974 decal set. We came up with this : http://www.indycals.net/decals/f1/74jps.html

The are gold, but with a yellow finish. I've been looking to many pictures of this car and always says the same. Gold look, with some yellow in it. They are not the same as the 1974 Lotus 76. They are very different in my opinion.
I had that discusion with Michael too and thought the gold with a yellow finish was the answer. But seeing the decals in real I have my doubts. They seem to be too metalic.

To get a definite answer from looking at pictures is really, really dificult if not even impossible. But looking at actual period pictures I always got the impression that in 1974 and 75 there was no gold and no metallic in the color at all. It was plain yellow, very light, almost dayglo-ish. So Peter Warr's explanation that in 74/75 they used yellow does it for me!

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

JM,
Thanks for that info..I must have missed the earlier post also because this is new for me.For me it explains a lot and I will for sure keep this info in mind for my future Lotus projects :D .Thanks again for sharing !

Alex.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well if you are to depict gold leaf, it may even be closer to real thing to use the silver ALPS ink and give it a yellow ink coat. I've tried it and it givez something closer to real gold, not the gold that is more usual in sponsoring...

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

If you're going to go the ALPS route, why go to the trouble of printing silver with a yellow overcoat? Why not just use their gold ink?
Je ne regrette rien.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

MoFo wrote:If you're going to go the ALPS route, why go to the trouble of printing silver with a yellow overcoat? Why not just use their gold ink?
JUst because, as I pointed, the result is different :D
Nevertheless we're talking, of course, of subtle changes. In this case and at scale, the four main possibilities are:
1-Gold, in the sense of gold paint, not something as gold plated
2-Gold, closest thing to gold leaf
3-Creamy color
4.Pure yellom color, with no metallic component.

The system I explained is closer to "2", or at least that's what I see... ;-)