What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post away...

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: What do you do for a living when your not building?

Post by danibear »

87bmwm6 wrote:I run a BMW specialty shop and a legal brothel....whole lot of screwing going on.
AMAZING! :shock:

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Hi,

Yeah it does now... sorry...

E
JamesB wrote:Eric, it asks for a login/password...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

f1m wrote:Hi,

E

Still not working Eric ... Login needed.
Take a stand!

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

I am in my late 30s and work as a contractor in digital marketing. The business is as ugly and dirty as you have been led to believe...
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Well, it needs to stay private for the moment, soooo...

E
gp-models wrote:
f1m wrote:Hi,

E

Still not working Eric ... Login needed.

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

87bmwm6 wrote:I run a BMW specialty shop and a legal brothel....whole lot of screwing going on.
Since you must be a BMW expert, may I ask you 2 BMW questions? Your observation in your shop? I am going to replace my cheap car (2016 Nissan Versa) to a nicer one next year.... I am considering 2019 or 2020 M550i (4.4L V8 twin-turbo) and 840i (3.0L I-6 twin-turbo), because I don't want to spend more than 100K USD, so no M850.

My question is: is BMW 4.4L V8 N63 engine a nightmare? I read BimmerPost, people are telling horrible stories about the V8, burning engine oil seems so common...... adding 1 quarter very 500 - 800 miles..... :evil: I can't live with it......

My second question is: is 3.0L I-6 engine much better in the reliability aspect? No burning oil? I can keep it for about 60,000 to 80,000 miles? I know NA I-6 and V8 BMW engines are best of the best....not sure the stories in the turbo era. Thank you so much!

vintagethunder
Formula e
Formula e

Post by vintagethunder »

I'm 62. My wife and I retired 4 months ago, but she took a last minute long term sub (teaching) job, so I'm waiting for that to wrap up so we can travel. For now, I walk the dog, play with the cat, take a lot of naps... Try to keep the fleet of five cars and five bikes running. I help with tutoring at an elementary school a few times a week. I am amazingly inefficient!

Leaving in a few weeks for my second USGP track marshal gig!

Tom
Last edited by vintagethunder on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herrboma
F2
F2

Post by herrboma »

As little as possible...

Balthazar.

87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by 87bmwm6 »

danibear wrote:
Since you must be a BMW expert, may I ask you 2 BMW questions? Your observation in your shop? I am going to replace my cheap car (2016 Nissan Versa) to a nicer one next year.... I am considering 2019 or 2020 M550i (4.4L V8 twin-turbo) and 840i (3.0L I-6 twin-turbo), because I don't want to spend more than 100K USD, so no M850.

My question is: is BMW 4.4L V8 N63 engine a nightmare? I read BimmerPost, people are telling horrible stories about the V8, burning engine oil seems so common...... adding 1 quarter very 500 - 800 miles..... :evil: I can't live with it......

My second question is: is 3.0L I-6 engine much better in the reliability aspect? No burning oil? I can keep it for about 60,000 to 80,000 miles? I know NA I-6 and V8 BMW engines are best of the best....not sure the stories in the turbo era. Thank you so much!
the N63 is a good engine when its working correctly, but has expensive issues. valve seals and guides wear causing oil consumption issues, also expect every time you go to you BMW mechanic expect to toss a thousand dollars his way. coolant leaks from water transfer pipes occur, figure 1800 dollars there, leaking valve cover gaskets about a grand, oil leak from alternator bracket a little over a grand. As for the inline 6, depends on engine. the N54 with high mileage will need turbos eventually. That's an engine out job. valve cover gaskets leak, oil filter housing gaskets leak, electric water pumps fail. oh ignition coils fail, usually from worn spark plugs, plug and coil replacement bout a grand. Bring Money With ya=BMW P.S, I just ordered a new 2020 440i. my 2014 435i just got destroyed.

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

87bmwm6 wrote:
danibear wrote:

the N63 is a good engine when its working correctly, but has expensive issues. valve seals and guides wear causing oil consumption issues, also expect every time you go to you BMW mechanic expect to toss a thousand dollars his way. coolant leaks from water transfer pipes occur, figure 1800 dollars there, leaking valve cover gaskets about a grand, oil leak from alternator bracket a little over a grand. As for the inline 6, depends on engine. the N54 with high mileage will need turbos eventually. That's an engine out job. valve cover gaskets leak, oil filter housing gaskets leak, electric water pumps fail. oh ignition coils fail, usually from worn spark plugs, plug and coil replacement bout a grand. Bring Money With ya=BMW P.S, I just ordered a new 2020 440i. my 2014 435i just got destroyed.
Thank you for your detailed explanation!
:( I don’t like Mercedes for some similar reason. My only options may be Lexus LS500 and Caddy CT6 Platium. At least Caddy repair cost should be ok for me. A low mileage CT6-V could be a nice choice too.